Dog Breed Help - Here's the Parameters

TheGDog

WKR
Lost my Rat Terrier this year. Currently just have the worlds cutest little 15yo 4-5Lbs Chihuahua. I don't want to rush into getting another dog. Figure maybe wait until the little one finally passes, before I consider it.

I loved that Rat Terrier, crazy smart, extremely bonded to me. But since I now enjoy hunting/scouting, I'm thinking this provides an opportunity to possibly merge these two interests things somewhat.

So... what I'm looking for, essentially, is a little hiking buddy, but that would be decent for fetching the doves/quail... and *maybe* be able to attempt fetching a duck? But the duck fetching is not a deal-breaker for me. The tricky part here is... I already installed a thru-the-wall doggy-door to allow them 24/7 access to back yard. So that door is sized for my Rat Terrier. Who was about 26 Lbs at her biggest. So I figure we'll say a 30 Lbs breed, tops.

I'm curious to know if there is a breed, meeting these size restrictions, that could hike with me approx 6mi into your spot, and would be able to sit quietly on an ambush spot with you, and wouldn't growl or bark if a deer approached and passed by at 20yds? Initially I'm kind of thinking this last wish is likely a pipe-dream. But ya never know, I don't know all the breeds out there used for hunting. So figured I'd ask and possibly somebody knows of a breed that might fit the most of these requirements.

Also, in terms of hiking in with your dog, can you guys direct me towards some articles or search terms I could look for in terms of learning about gear I'd need for a dog if I wanted to take them out into the field with me? I'm thinking most about the rocky terrain I encounter for the first couple of miles in my usual hike in. I've seen slipper/booties things some people have on their dogs? Figure for sure people on here know which kind/brands to get that work well for hunting... walking thru hot, rocky or pokey terrain.

RE: Breeds - think I remember seeing some posts about Jagd Terriers? What kinds of hunting do they work for?

Or... is it that... if I want a hunting companion... should I just be more realistic and instead bump up in size range?

-G

I have an English Springer Spaniel that is at 40 lbs. Just a tad bigger but he is a stud. I’d say he is about the size of a 35# dog but he’s solid muscle so he just weighs more without the added size.

Little guy has such a drive to work. Extremely intelligent. Easy to train with minimal effort. The bond is one of the strongest I’ve experienced. Does well with any stranger, including kids.

4fca14ff6106244b04841cabdf741231.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
As I read your post jag terrier came to mind. But what your asking is a little counter intuitive to me. If you want a companion who will not react to deer at 20 yards and accompany you big game hunting You probably want a non prey driven breed. Which outs the jag. They are certifiably insane. I watched one square off with a cow like he was going to bring it back to me once he had his way.

jodorouse

FNG
I have an English cocker spaniel and couldn’t be happier with him. They are 25-35 lbs. with a great goofy personality. Loves to retrieve. Will punch through the tightest clumps of brush to find anything. I don’t duck hunt but he loves chasing geese and swimming after them so I have no doubt he would retrieve a dead duck if I trained him to sit in a blind. Very birdy and loves going squirrel hunting with me. Really fun dog and super loyal to me and my family. He has spent long days grouse hunting and doesn’t stop. Like most hunting dogs, you need to run him every day or he gets pretty pent up.

Check them out. They are the most underrated hunting dog out there. It’s funny watching them retrieve a big flapping pheasant.
c65ccb0b7858321657c27412953749e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Field bred spaniel of your choice or a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever (toller). Look them up, smallish and bred to duck hunt (and will hunt upland). I’ve also seen some pretty diminutive GSP’s and Brittany’s.

inyago

FNG
Get a vizla or one of the nz heading dogs and train it yourself if competent or buy one fully trained if not.
These dogs take you to the deer. Like they find deer humans dont even know are there.
NZ bowhunting society does not recognize animals hunted over dogs like this because they are so good at it.
Virtually all cullers use these dogs because of this ability to walk down the prey fast.

2ski

WKR
The breeds that ran through my head as I read your post are:

Boykin(these are a waterfowl little machine)

Brittany (breed standard is 30-50 lbs or so, so 40 would be in there) maybe not a duck retriever

Small musterlander(40lbs is the small end of the breed standard so talk to breeders and say what you're looking for in size)

You'll probably have a hard time getting any dog to sit still for a couple years.

Another vote for the jagd terrier.. I hunted over them quit a bit in Germany and they are amazing dogs... huge personality but very loyal.. I know alotnof guys would take them to the stand with them. But as said before they are insane!! But it a good thing if trained properly.

robtattoo

WKR
I say start visiting shelters & find a cute little energetic mutt that you just fall in love with. You can train most any half intelligent dog to do what you want (maybe not duck retrieval) & scratty little mutts are the hardiest, happiest best damn dogs there are. Plus it gets another out of a shelter.

ZDR

WKR
for what you want the dog to do, its really all about the training. In addition to the breeds mentioned here, I would add a Jack Russell or Parson Russell (bigger than a Jack) to the list. Smart, hard working and easy to train. Just needs lots of exercise.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
As I read your post jag terrier came to mind. But what your asking is a little counter intuitive to me. If you want a companion who will not react to deer at 20 yards and accompany you big game hunting You probably want a non prey driven breed. Which outs the jag. They are certifiably insane. I watched one square off with a cow like he was going to bring it back to me once he had his way.

Even after posting, I contemplated that thought. I suppose none of them really would work for that. It's just a thought I've had of taking the little one with me in a pocket or something and then having here their to keep me company during all the waiting during the day. It's just that with her I'd have to be all neurotic and preoccupied about her safety, since just about anything out there can kill her.

So anyhoo... I suppose that aspect is just a pipe-dream. That's Ok if it can't be done. Oh well.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Get a vizla or one of the nz heading dogs and train it yourself if competent or buy one fully trained if not.
These dogs take you to the deer. Like they find deer humans dont even know are there.
NZ bowhunting society does not recognize animals hunted over dogs like this because they are so good at it.
Virtually all cullers use these dogs because of this ability to walk down the prey fast.

I like Vizlas temperants. But they are a larger breed then I'm looking for.

Also... looking at some of these suggestions... I don't want to (at least not initially anyway) consider a dog that I'll have to trim regularly.

To offer more data to you guys... the doggy door looks to be about 13.5" opening height, so figuring for the material of the door flap we'll say 13" max height of the opening. I don't want to go thru the hassle of possibly making the door bigger since it's thru the wall.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Ooh... Parsons Terrier, I'd forgotten about that one, thank you!

RE: shelter dogs - been that route before. You can train them, but since already grown, the control you exert over them won't be as complete as it is when you get'm since pup. My Brizzy girl showed me that. It'll be close.. but not quite 100%. With Cori she was plenty smart and trainable, but, if she saw a cat or squirrel while doing off-leash work all bets were off, she'd beeline to wherever they were, regardless of how strong my reprimand and command to come was. All other times, an Angel just like the other dogs I trained.

Re: Active dog, yeah... that's what Daddy wants/needs. Gonna need that more and more going forward I'm sure, after getting my lower back worked on.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Another thought I've considered and wonder how they'd work for hunting is an English Staffordshire Terrier (the mini version of what Pitbulls, American Staffordshire Terriers come from). They are like little mini bodybuilders, thick and rocked!