Dog Gear

What’s some good brands or sites to get some gear for your dog to take on backpacking trips. Looking for a range of things from packs, durable insulated jackets, protection vests, and possible dog throws or sleeping bags. I know rei is a good place to start but just wanted to know if there’s some hunting brands I could support instead. Going to be for my jadgterrier in case anyone was wondering. Thank you.

Decker9

WKR
We have 4 hard seasons on the ruffwear palisades pack, from day hikes to extended sheep hunts, I highly recommend if your looking to a top notch dog pack with some good features.

Attachments

• 57250AA6-85E3-4F33-948E-6625EA9FF5D9.jpeg
    57250AA6-85E3-4F33-948E-6625EA9FF5D9.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 89

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
My ruffwear pallisades pack has lasted 10 years and about 3500 miles. Still useable but a bit banged up.

i use a woobie for a sleeping area for her. In winter i add in a small section if blue ccf sleep pad.

siberian husky

Attachments

• FD4BC3F6-6EBE-4EE7-A47D-D7F95728544A.jpeg
    FD4BC3F6-6EBE-4EE7-A47D-D7F95728544A.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 76

tdot

WKR
Ruffwear here as well. I was never able to get him to wear the little booties. The snow was brutal on his paws, I ended up using a purpose made dog paw lotion/grease for his paws that was awesome. Even started using it in the summer, it really kept the mud and crap out from in between his toes. Dont remember the name of it, but definitely worth looking into if you want his paws protected.

Cool breed by the way. Dont forget to post up some photos with him!

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Ruffwear here as well. I was never able to get him to wear the little booties. The snow was brutal on his paws, I ended up using a purpose made dog paw lotion/grease for his paws that was awesome. Even started using it in the summer, it really kept the mud and crap out from in between his toes. Dont remember the name of it, but definitely worth looking into if you want his paws protected.

Cool breed by the way. Dont forget to post up some photos with him!

likewise, i have been using mushers secret for years.

Decker9

WKR
A little tip on a ground sheet for a dog, half of a thermorest z lite works great, my sitting pad by day, dog bed by night.

x3 on the booties, I couldn’t get either of my dogs to wear them.

OP
BigCountry344
SHARE THE LOVE
40% off codes for friends and family

Hook your canine friends up by sending a promo code to their human – they’ll get 40% off their order at ruffwear.com. The three single-use codes below are good through Feb. 14 and are yours to share!

Enter codes at checkout
share-love-y3f23y
share-love-ncnyft
share-love-83y98z

I literally just placed my order 15 minutes ago. Is this good for every item? I clicked the links you shared and it just takes me to the website what’s the actual code?

sndmn11

WKR
I literally just placed my order 15 minutes ago. Is this good for every item? I clicked the links you shared and it just takes me to the website what’s the actual code?

I got that yesterday from them and copy-pasted here because I remembered the thread. The codes are the three at the bottom....you see the discount in the cart.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
I know orvis has some good dog stuff, I don’t remember if they have their own branded items or if they just carry ruffstuff, but might be worth checking into.
Side note- how far back do you go with your dog(s)? Do you limit yourself? I have 2 dogs and want to bring them along but haven’t really pushed their limit on hiking more than 4-5 miles in a day

I know orvis has some good dog stuff, I don’t remember if they have their own branded items or if they just carry ruffstuff, but might be worth checking into.
Side note- how far back do you go with your dog(s)? Do you limit yourself? I have 2 dogs and want to bring them along but haven’t really pushed their limit on hiking more than 4-5 miles in a day

If you keep them fit and they have conditioned paws they can easily do over 5 miles in a day. At least my Weim can and he is mostly a baby. I just walk him every day.

0614181710_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

twall13

WKR

It would depend on your dog and how fit you keep him. I take my Boykin Spaniel on 7-8 mile trail runs several times a week so he is fit and his paws are conditioned to rocky terrain. When backpacking I try to keep his pack weight to 25% of his body weight (mostly his food) but it's never been a problem taking him as far as I want to hike in. I've backpacked in about 7 miles in one day with him but wouldn't hesitate to go further if that was where my destination took us. My brother's overweight golden retriever would probably have a heart attack going that far so know your dog and do some test runs and conditioning beforehand. When I pull my dogs pack out he gets so excited it's funny to watch.
6a5e27558a0134fff1e6afbd781528f1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
69aaea2f0b57680215c6fa0eb63bd8ad.jpg

I’ve done a 12mile day with my dog before, but as others have said- make sure they are well conditioned, and read them/check on paws, legs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithjd

FNG
My 82# Lab identifies as a Husky. He’s over 8yoa and still runs 5-7 miles at average pace of 10-12mph (along side truck or quad on forest roads). He would go road biking with me but would literally wear his pads off doing it. Thanks sndmn11, I ordered him a pack to load up and slow him down a bit.

Attachments

• 720CC444-C384-449D-BB6C-1E2353562A21.jpeg
    720CC444-C384-449D-BB6C-1E2353562A21.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 25
OP
BigCountry344
I got that yesterday from them and copy-pasted here because I remembered the thread. The codes are the three at the bottom....you see the discount in the cart.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it it’s not coming up in my cart though and I tried to type it and also not coming up as valid not sure what I’m doing wrong