Draw Length Opinions Please

Cwlauger

FNG
Hello All,

While at the range I was told that my DL is too short....Currently set at 28", and the person said they thought I should be closer to 30"....Looking for some opinions. I did some research on my own, and from my pictures I canʻt tell if I need a longer DL. I have been noticing some discomfort in my bow shoulder too and wondering if thereʻs a connection. I have also noticed a little discomfort in my bow arm elbow while shooting.

I did the wingspan method as well as measuring my fist on wall to corner of mouth. Both of these place me between 28"-28.5"

Appreciate any feedback and opinions.

Attachments

• DL1.png
    DL1.png
    549.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DL2.png
    DL2.png
    598.6 KB · Views: 123
I'm not an expert on judging draw length based off form for compounds, but here's a couple things I see right away. 1st, if you rotate your bowhand 45 degrees like you're making a stop sign with your hand it may help your bow side shoulder. That should help you get your bow side scapula down. Right now it's lifted up.

Second, is your pin float large, or small? Even minute changes in draw length can make a big difference. Strip any stabilizers off the bow and play with draw length mods then fine tuning draw length with yokes or D loop length. Let the bow teach you what draw length works best.

OP
Cwlauger

Cwlauger

FNG
I'm not an expert on judging draw length based off form for compounds, but here's a couple things I see right away. 1st, if you rotate your bowhand 45 degrees like you're making a stop sign with your hand it may help your bow side shoulder. That should help you get your bow side scapula down. Right now it's lifted up.

Second, is your pin float large, or small? Even minute changes in draw length can make a big difference. Strip any stabilizers off the bow and play with draw length mods then fine tuning draw length with yokes or D loop length. Let the bow teach you what draw length works best.
Thank you!! Pin float is not very large. I am currently not shooting with stabs.

I donʻt really know a ton about working on my own bow, and I donʻt have a press. Where I live there are only 2 shops and they are both kind of a hassle to go to for me. There are some great guys at the ranges and some of them have presses and are willing to help, but I am kind of at the mercy of them being there and able/willing to help out.

For being a trad guy, Trumpkin nailed a few things. But it's still archery form no matter how many strings.

Outwardly, it looks close, definitely doesn't need 2 more inches.

Here's a visual on bow hand positions. You want a relaxed grip, hand @ 45. I tend to curl my pinky finger I to the grip, let the flat of my nail rest on the grip. Gives me a open, repeatable position that makes it hard to over grip the bow.

images (48).jpeg

Float will tell you your DL. That bow the actual DL will be 3/8-1/2" longer than the mod says unless you really play with the string/cable lengths.

OP
Cwlauger

Cwlauger

FNG
For being a trad guy, Trumpkin nailed a few things. But it's still archery form no matter how many strings.

Outwardly, it looks close, definitely doesn't need 2 more inches.

Here's a visual on bow hand positions. You want a relaxed grip, hand @ 45. I tend to curl my pinky finger I to the grip, let the flat of my nail rest on the grip. Gives me a open, repeatable position that makes it hard to over grip the bow.

View attachment 703582

Float will tell you your DL. That bow the actual DL will be 3/8-1/2" longer than the mod says unless you really play with the string/cable lengths.
Awesome!! Thank you… I got advice about my grip being too tight… obviously I am still working on it because I’m clearly not having a relaxed grip in those photos! The 45 degree angle makes sense and I can feel a difference in my shoulder by doing that even without my bow in hand.

Thank you again!

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Side note - Try shortening the neck on your release too. Should be able to curl your index around the trigger fully.

If that feels terrible do what’s comfortable, obviously. That should help you pull through the shot better though and it will change your perceived draw length

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Fix the grip and maybe play with draw length a little. Your right shoulder is collapsed some. Getting it low will possibly extend you a bit, but maybe not. It will definitely not be 2", maybe a half inch.

You have a hitch where you lean back. You want to look like a capital T. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks if you lean back your draw length is too long. That is not necessarily the case. I would work on cleaning up the form and see what happens. Keep your front shoulder down and forward. Your anchor point looks good and your string position on your face looks pretty good. You might have your head tilted back a little, but that will likely fix itself when you fix your grip, stand up straight, and get your front shoulder down and forward.

OP
Cwlauger

Cwlauger

FNG
thanks for all the input. Went to the range this afternoon… focused on standing up straighter (took my quiver off because I felt like it was causing me to lean back a little), worked on my grip… although it felt like I was doing it right at the range it still looks like I’m wrapping my fingers too tightly.

It’s weird my shoulder doesn’t hurt when I’m shooting, but I went to do a pull up today and it was screaming. Kind of worried about it and not sure if it’s archery related or not… anyways here’s a few more photos… I was consciously pushing my bow shoulder out and down, which felt really weird, but I think my form looks a little better?

Attachments

• IMG_7966.jpeg
    IMG_7966.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7964.jpeg
    IMG_7964.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m with most above looks a tad long and even In The 2nd set of pics you have a hitch or leaning back square your shoulders up with your hips and have your hips over your feet. Shorten up that release so you’re not reaching out with your pointer finger. That bow hand needs to relax the bow won’t go anywhere. John Dudley has a video showing how he gets draw length to start with. Make a fist lift your arms like a T not trying to stretch out just make a T then turn your head to the right in your case then put your fist up against the wall just barley touching it then measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth. I would find that video as it’s been a while since I saw it but it’s something to that effect. Good luck and I sure wouldn’t listen to who ever said you need 2 inches more of draw length…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you draw the bow? Your elbow is high at full draw, but does it start and stay high through the draw cycle? That will have you using your back to draw instead of your shoulders. You should be drawing the bow by bringing your shoulder blades together.

I'm not worried about your stance that much. You will need to play with it, find what works for you with your feet position, make sure you are putting weight on both feet, but can also load your front or rear leg and be able to shoot. I suspect you are just inadvertently putting more of your weight on your rear leg, try to transfer more weight to your front leg.

where is your elbow pointing? It looks like it's pointed down, which brings your shoulder up. Your elbow, like your hand, should be at a 45. You don't want it going straight down at the ground, or straight out at shoulder level.

Get a picture from behind and elevated slightly if you can.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
^ what Billy goat said. Im no expert if I was you since you have a Mathews I’d go to a pro shop see if they have the mods in the different draw lengths so you can try longer or shorter see what feels best to you many folks shoot great with the wrong length. IMO its hard to pull through the shot especially uphill and downhill if its to long, but whatever works for ya. As long as you do the same thing every time might work out for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
It looks pretty darn close to me. Whoever said you're 2" too short, disregard all their advice immediately. Perhaps it is a cousin of Rio Wilde or something, but it is not standard to have to lean back at the waist at a 30° angle to shoot a bow, which is what 2" longer would make you have to do. People are weird, perhaps he saw how much better your groups were than his and wanted to get into your head. Who knows? But that was very poor advice.

You've gotten some good comments. Work on bow grip a bit, will help with left/right misses. Shorten release so that trigger lands on the middle pad that is just ahead of the middle crease of index finger. Perhaps try a 1/2" shorter draw length and see if it straightens you up and gives you even better pin float. Mathews do tend to come in a bit long, many order a draw length mod a 1/2" shorter than what they normally are when using a Mathews bow. Your 28" mod is likely drawing closer to 28.5" in length.

Biggest thing you can do for shoulder pain not related to drawing motion is learn to relax your shoulders at full draw. Draw bow back and once drawn let both shoulders drop down. You’ll be able to feel the difference immediately and your aim will steady as well. Can’t tell if your draw length is on or not. Look on YouTube for George “Griv” Ryals series “Thing of the week” he has a lot of good info you can trust.

@Trumpkin The Dwarf is correct. If your bow hand is too vertical on the grip it will have your elbow rotated in and your scapula tensed. Put the grip on your lifeline and keep it loose