Dry Ice

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Ok listening to a Podcast I heard two different ways to use dry ice

1# Place meat in the ice chest first then a layer of cardboard on top of the meat then dry ice on top of the cardboard.

version 2#
place dry ice on the bottom of the ice chest, then a layer of cardboard. The meat is placed on top of cardboard with the drain plug opened

Any thoughts on this ?

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Put cardboard down then the dry ice on top. I used this method to get two coolers full of fresh caught bottom fish back home. It was about a three day trip and it froze the fish harder and deeper than the deep freeze I had used to begin with. This was what some of my favorite charter boat owners (basically family) pressed on me to get my catch home. It was a mind blown deal for me he-he. I had no idea how great that works. I did start out with a cold cooler though. Don't know if it matters or not. I will say this I think it's possible with this method to actually freeze your meat in a cooler without doing it before hand.-WW

rayporter

WKR
version no. 3

wrap dry ice in several layers of newspaper and place in the middle of the meat.

even with no cooler just a pile of meat covered with gear it will freeze in 48 hours.

my take away is that it does not matter, especially if you have a cooler.

Pro953

WKR
What I was always told is, bottom for refrigeration and top for freezing. With dry ice I am generally trying to freeze so I actually have not tested that.

When I use block ice I always put out at the bottom, but that’s more to keep the meat from getting a bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I’ve done numerous times for transporting meat 1000+ miles year round when driving. Temperature ranges from near zero to above 110.

I’ve only done this with Rtic and Cabelas coolers. Never had an issue with the meat.

Place the meat in the cooler. Put a piece of cardboard on top; just big enough to hold the dry ice. Put dry ice on top of cardboard. Close cooler. Drive home.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome tool but I’d generally recommend avoiding freezing until you’re cut & wrapped.

I’ve heard freezing meat on bone within a day or two of harvest can create “freezer rigor” and j know for a fact that thawing & re-freezing can do enough damage on a cellular level to change texture and moisture appreciably.

All that said, I’ve always understood that dry ice at the top of the cooler will freeze the whole cooler solid and at the bottom it will freeze the things that touch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I've used it a few times. We usually are doing it in warm weather, so we put the dry ice above the meat. I have also bought several pieces and stood them up with packages of meat between them, a piece on each end, meat, then pieces and meat in the middle or something similar. Three or four pieces. It will freeze the meat solid, and driving home with it can take days with no issues.

When it's cool out it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to find dry ice unless it'll be a few days. Block ice works good enough most of the time. I have even done this in warmer weather but completely insulated the pile of meat with sleeping bags.

Sloth

FNG
Regarding the meat, are we talking fresh, unfrozen, unpackaged meat? For example quarters in a cooler?

I’ve had problems fitting quartered deer in my Yeti 65 along with the proper amount of ice to cool the meat down - it gets very tight. This may be a good option!

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding the meat, are we talking fresh, unfrozen, unpackaged meat? For example quarters in a cooler?

I’ve had problems fitting quartered deer in my Yeti 65 along with the proper amount of ice to cool the meat down - it gets very tight. This may be a good option!
I'm talking cut and wrapped.if you put dry ice on quarters they'll be frozen before long.

Cconrad94

FNG
Ok listening to a Podcast I heard two different ways to use dry ice

1# Place meat in the ice chest first then a layer of cardboard on top of the meat then dry ice on top of the cardboard.

version 2#
place dry ice on the bottom of the ice chest, then a layer of cardboard. The meat is placed on top of cardboard with the drain plug opened

Any thoughts on this ?
Following. Going to CO this sept so i hope we get lucky and have a use for dry ice!!

Air is the enemy with dry ice, so I would not leave the drain plug open. I transport my Elk home from the processor after it has been cut, wrapped, and frozen. I pack it in the ice chest, then a layer of newspaper or an old (clean) bath towel on top of the meat. Dry ice goes on top of that, then a black (heavy duty) garbage bag, then more towels or other layer of anything to insulate. After closing the lid, I use duct tape to seal the ice chest. When I get home three days later, everything is frozen solid, and I always have some dry ice left in the ice chests.

Scrappy

WKR
Air is the enemy with dry ice, so I would not leave the drain plug open. I transport my Elk home from the processor after it has been cut, wrapped, and frozen. I pack it in the ice chest, then a layer of newspaper or an old (clean) bath towel on top of the meat. Dry ice goes on top of that, then a black (heavy duty) garbage bag, then more towels or other layer of anything to insulate. After closing the lid, I use duct tape to seal the ice chest. When I get home three days later, everything is frozen solid, and I always have some dry ice left in the ice chests.
When dry ice “melts” it releases carbon dioxide gas which could build up inside an airtight cooler and make it explode. Users must adhere to special usage instructions and safety precautions when using dry ice.

What I've always heard.

EdP

WKR
The open drain plug provides a vent path for the CO2 that is needed ONLY with air tight coolers like a Yeti. With any standard cooler without a lid seal and hold down straps there is no need to open the drain.

In your case, keeping processed and packaged meat frozen, I would put the dry ice on top. The ice should have an insulating layer between it and the meat. Paper wrapping on the meat is probably sufficient. Making sure the cooler is completely full will make the ice last longer. Blankets, newspaper, coats or other clothing will all work.

I have used both regular ice and dry ice to transport quarters 1200 miles+ and will never use dry ice again. Regular ice keeps the meat plenty cold, is much cheaper, and won't freeze the meat so when I get home I can process the quarters w/o waiting for it to thaw.

When dry ice “melts” it releases carbon dioxide gas which could build up inside an airtight cooler and make it explode. Users must adhere to special usage instructions and safety precautions when using dry ice.

What I've always heard.
Yes, good point. I should have mentioned my coolers are Coleman 100 qt (about 30 years old), and are not airtight. I wish I could afford a Yeti. My elk is always wrapped and frozen when I pick it up from the processor. If it was not, then I would use regular ice to get the meat home.

Reactions: EdP
Does dry ice still produce water on the bottom of your cooler? What are good business to look for it? Grocery stores?
No. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. You do need to take appropriate precautions if inside the vehicle with you.

Look at grocery stores. Can be hard to find around Halloween.

Wal Mart always seem to have it in Colorado and New Mexico. Albertson's also. As stated earlier, Halloween time is likely to find it in short supply. I got a weird look at the teenage counter girl when I told her I needed about 100 pounds.