Duplex vs. Bikini Frame

I went with a bikini over the duplex for the comfort. I have it attached to a HC 4800. I won't haul a heavy load in the woods unless I absolutely have too. My heaviest loads are 65lbs.

I prefer the Duplex. The bikini was very comfy to me up to 60lbs or so but beyond that the Duplex handled the weight much better for me. I think part of it is body type also. I'm tall and skinny and the bikini didn't give me the support I needed on my narrow back profile.

I bought both intending to keep the one that worked best, but they are both staying. As mentioned above, a 24" Bikini for hot weather, shorter trips, lighter loads, scouting, etc. 26" Duplex for long trips or going back in for elk quarters.

How ya gonna sleep when you start trying to decide what to hang on your frame? :)

kodiakfly

WKR
I've got a Duplex and I'd not ever describe it as bulky or uncomfortable. I'm strictly a bowhunter and have shot with it on-actually hunting, not just practice-and it wears fine.

I can't imagine the Bikini being more "comfortable" as the Duplex rides like a champ. I'm not an ounce counter so I went with Duplex.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Have both and used both a lot. The Duplex is the shit! Never have I had the Duplex on and wished I had the Bikini. But I have had the Bikini on and wish I had the Duplex:)

I'm a bowhunter and after talking to Aron, got the duplex because of its carrying ability. If you're pushing 100lbs...the bikini is a poorer option. In retrospect and having only packed 75lbs thus far...I still think Aron directed me properly. 75lbs felt like 50.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't vouch for the bikini as I've never tried it, but I have a duplex and I like it. As a matter of fact I start looking at any heavy object that I have to carry, whether it's around the house or at work or for recreation, with the mindset of "man I wish I had my duplex attached to that".

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're an ultralight ounce counting weight watcher, then a bikini may be perfect. ...if you're not worried about an extra pound, then get the duplex.

Ive never had the chance to run a duplex so I cannot directly compare the two but the bikini is more comfertable then any other pack I've ever worn. I've put everything from day hike loads to two 70 pound sand tubes on it. I don't know what the duplex carries like and maybe it is better then the bikini loaded heavy but comparing the bikini to what I've worn previously is amazing. So I guess as long as I never try a duplex I will never know what I'm missing out in. Also be realistic with yourself, are you really physically capable of hauling 130+ pounds out of the woods? On a groomed trail or the sidewalk of your neighborhood is one thing but I don't know about you but not a lot of my animals die in areas like that. 100 pounds is HEAVY.... I've never had a load heavier then 117 pounds coming out and honestly I don't plan on it anytime soon.

I went with the bikini because I shoot a bow 99% of the time and I figured the bikini would be better for that. It may not be I don't know. It was much lighter, not a big deal but a pretty good bonus attribute. There is a ton of area cut out that lets my back breath. Finally because It was new and I really liked the comments I was hearing about it.
There are also things I do not like, The stays are not removable. I went with aluminum stays In The bikini because I had never tried a kifaru and wanted to make sure I could get it to fit correctly. The duplex you can change stays, and in that case I probably would have gone with the composite because of the option to change later.
I wish the Bikini had the 1 inch web at times, sometimes the 3/4 seems to slip off the shoulder pads lesson to the load lifters. Doesn't change anything just bugs my ocd at times
Sometimes I hit my head on the crossbar if I'm not paying attention, the duplex has a strap on too I beleive so may be a wash

When using the bikini as a pack board thigs can stick through the frame and like you In the back. Had this happen this morning when carrying goose decoys into the field. Not a big deal but just something to think about

All that said I will own a duplex at some point, for no other reason then I like to buy shit.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
[How ya gonna sleep when you start trying to decide what to hang on your frame? :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly. As soon as they stop introducing new packs, I will concentrate on that.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Ive never had the chance to run a duplex so I cannot directly compare the two but the bikini is more comfertable then any other pack I've ever worn. I've put everything from day hike loads to two 70 pound sand tubes on it. I don't know what the duplex carries like and maybe it is better then the bikini loaded heavy but comparing the bikini to what I've worn previously is amazing. So I guess as long as I never try a duplex I will never know what I'm missing out in. Also be realistic with yourself, are you really physically capable of hauling 130+ pounds out of the woods? On a groomed trail or the sidewalk of your neighborhood is one thing but I don't know about you but not a lot of my animals die in areas like that. 100 pounds is HEAVY.... I've never had a load heavier then 117 pounds coming out and honestly I don't plan on it anytime soon.

I went with the bikini because I shoot a bow 99% of the time and I figured the bikini would be better for that. It may not be I don't know. It was much lighter, not a big deal but a pretty good bonus attribute. There is a ton of area cut out that lets my back breath. Finally because It was new and I really liked the comments I was hearing about it.
There are also things I do not like, The stays are not removable. I went with aluminum stays In The bikini because I had never tried a kifaru and wanted to make sure I could get it to fit correctly. The duplex you can change stays, and in that case I probably would have gone with the composite because of the option to change later.
I wish the Bikini had the 1 inch web at times, sometimes the 3/4 seems to slip off the shoulder pads lesson to the load lifters. Doesn't change anything just bugs my ocd at times
Sometimes I hit my head on the crossbar if I'm not paying attention, the duplex has a strap on too I beleive so may be a wash

When using the bikini as a pack board thigs can stick through the frame and like you In the back. Had this happen this morning when carrying goose decoys into the field. Not a big deal but just something to think about

All that said I will own a duplex at some point, for no other reason then I like to buy shit.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
I do usually pack considerably heavy loads.
But even if I am packing out an entire boned out deer with cape/rack, that is only one day of the trip. Or two trips to get an elk out plus a trip to recover camp/gear.

My norm is packing in for 7-10 days at least 5 miles in. The furthest I was from trail head this year was aprox 11. That's a lot of hiking with only 50-55 lbs which makes me think the greatest amount of time spent will be under lighter loads.
I will admit, I may be an ounce counter.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The duplex can't be beat for heavy loads and awkwardly shaped loads. If you get 11 miles back and kill something you are going to want a pack that manages the heaviest of loads best and I don't know if there is a better frame /bag combo then the Duplex Timberline 1 for this equation. It will do all of that and is still compressible enough to day hunt with.

I also have no issues shooting my bow with it. The 1" webbing is not going to slip with the heavy loads.

I personally think the best big pack Kifaru has ever introduced.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
I do usually pack considerably heavy loads.
But even if I am packing out an entire boned out deer with cape/rack, that is only one day of the trip. Or two trips to get an elk out plus a trip to recover camp/gear.

My norm is packing in for 7-10 days at least 5 miles in. The furthest I was from trail head this year was aprox 11. That's a lot of hiking with only 50-55 lbs which makes me think the greatest amount of time spent will be under lighter loads.
I will admit, I may be an ounce counter.

No worries all I was saying is realistically how often are you gonna have 130+ pounds on your back. The bikini will do it no problem, but I'm sure the duplex does it better.

When in doubt call Aron, great guy who will give you no bull advice even if you end up choosing to go a different route then kifaru.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks Rosin. I actually was 11 miles in this year when I arrowed the first bull of the year.

Really wish I had picked up a Kifaru before this years season began.
Two bull elk and four deer later, I realize the pack I am wearing this year is not adequate.

Live and learn

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think many pack people pack 100+ pound loads frequently. And if you have to do it for a mile, anyone can suck that torture up regardless of what type of pack. In the event it is on a back country DIY hunt, it usually 5+ miles and a good pack is essential, especially if you have to make more than one trip.

Bought the bikini for the same reason as tipsntails above. I spend 99% of my time carrying things 60# or less. (Usually much less) And when I need to go heavy on those rare occasions I know the bikini can handle it.