E scouting

colersu22

WKR
Bare with me if this is a stupid question but I was wondering what people are looking for when they are scouting with google earth or Onxmaps? I have always hunted deer and elk closer to home and when me and my wife hike in the spring/summer I try and go places I can check out for hunting season.

I want to hunt out of state this year and have been using Onxmaps mainly to scout and I think I found some good areas for elk but not sure and am now second guessing myself. Right now I have 5-6 locations marked out that I plan on checking out in April/May then again in July/August so I can get boots on the ground and set out some trail cams before the season starts in September. I have been looking for areas that have patches of thicker timber and are close to streams for a water source, I have also been looking around areas that had a god size burn a few years ago. I know from hunting Wa I have found elk in similar locations and wanted to stick with what I have experience with.

I thought I saw that they go over this info on Elk101, is that the case?

Thanks,

Chris

svivian

WKR
Elk 101 does go over e-scouting using google earth. Also go on YouTube and find Randy Newbergs videos on using onx maps to scout and what to look for. I think it's over three videos but pretty much covers everything. Ultimately though boots on the ground is always the best and I wouldn't second guess yourself.