Ear pressure and elevation

Jmort1754

WKR
My girlfriend wants to go out west next summer. The issue she has is she can't equalize her ears.

Anyone have any tricks besides Val salva and the like?

Rich M

WKR
Chew gum and exaggerate the chewing.

Pinch nose and blow.

Not so sure it will be an issue unless you fly. Then will need to practice popping them ears.

Chewing gum or hard candy
Yawning
Decongestants
Chiropractor

I struggle with this too on the occasion and ultimately some time should allow the ears to adjust. Flying is hard for me especially on the descent even in a pressurized cab. But usually after about an hour the ear pain has gone away and after a day the fullness in the ear has subsided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mi650

WKR
Chewing gum or hard candy
Yawning
Decongestants
Chiropractor

I struggle with this too on the occasion and ultimately some time should allow the ears to adjust. Flying is hard for me especially on the descent even in a pressurized cab. But usually after about an hour the ear pain has gone away and after a day the fullness in the ear has subsided.

Chiropractor?

I've had this problem several times, but nothing pinching my nose and blowing wouldn't fix.

ODB

WKR
I used to be a nose-pincher, but have learned to fake yawn, drop my jaw, push my tongue flat and pop my ears. It hurts less.

Chiropractor?

I've had this problem several times, but nothing pinching my nose and blowing wouldn't fix.

Lot of mine is allergy related, but yes the chiropractor can open up the ear canal with a couple different adjustments. Worth a try anyways

Working in an underground mine where you drop or raise 2900’ in less than 4 minutes entering g or exiting the mine you get good at equalizing pressure in your ears. I used the yawn method, dropping my jaw. If you had congestion it was more difficult to get the pressure to equalize.

Good luck with your/her trip!

SDHNTR

WKR
I have the same issue at times. Flonase and Sudafed help. Start on the Flonase at lease a couple weeks in advance.

OXN939

WKR
I used to be a nose-pincher, but have learned to fake yawn, drop my jaw, push my tongue flat and pop my ears. It hurts less.

This is the Frenzel maneuver, as opposed to the previously described Valsalva (pinching your nose and blowing into the sinuses). Little gentler but not as likely to make the equalization happen.

Seen a lot of people with this problem while instructing freediving, my girlfriend being one of them. Some people anatomically just have narrow eustachian tubes. Therer is a surgery to correct this, but short of that options are limited. Reducing inflammation of mucous membranes is basically it... so, pretty much, avoid alcohol and large amounts of dairy. That's really about the sum of options other than as gentle an acclimation as possible