early California archery temps are too hot !

boom

WKR
Had some time to burn (pun ). Threw a bag together, screwed on some broadheads and did an easy hike in with a buddy to hopefully find a dumb deer. This was probably more of a leg stretcher for us than a hunt trip. It was 104 degrees!! Hiking in it cooled down to 102. Holy crap. You can suck a vortex in a water bladder!

We did see a huge elk bull. 7x6.

Still fun! But I don't know how you early a-zone guys do it. I need to condition myself to the heat better.

Last edited:
If you do put one on the ground how would you get it out before it spoiled? Most A-zone areas I've ever hunted had no streams to cool anything in. (If they did it would probably be cooling me!)

I know when I used to chase piggies in King City in the summer I would just find a place that was high in the shade and glass all the shadows as that's where the critters are too. If I'm hot they are too.

^That's what we did....got up on a hill, sat in the shade and glassed. If we had got something, we really weren't too far in from the car and had a cooler with a bag of ice in the trunk.

It was pretty miserable out there, but the ground squirrels kept us occupied.

good for you on getting out there......the crowds I see are usually in the vehicles with the A/C on (at least I see them when I hike out).

having lots of water and staying hydrated is key. Pacing yourself to not go as fast as you would climbing a mountain when it is 70 degrees or cooler outside also helps.

I don't think anyone would choose to hunt deer when it is 105 degrees, but that is when our season is. I agree that it is often miserable during the July season. I really hate hunting in those temps and it may be my favorite season! As far as conditioning for it, I don't know if you can. At least I don't think I can. I spend 12 hours a day--nearly everyday of the year--in a 65-degree environment, so it is a physical shock to my body every time. I think you just bare it. I do wish they would give us a couple weeks during October to hunt A zone as bowhunters each year. That would make things nicer!

I don't think anyone would choose to hunt deer when it is 105 degrees, but that is when our season is. I agree that it is often miserable during the July season. I really hate hunting in those temps and it may be my favorite season! As far as conditioning for it, I don't know if you can. At least I don't think I can. I spend 12 hours a day--nearly everyday of the year--in a 65-degree environment, so it is a physical shock to my body every time. I think you just bare it. I do wish they would give us a couple weeks during October to hunt A zone as bowhunters each year. That would make things nicer!

I find that good sun-protective lightweight gear makes a big difference hunting in the desert in 100 degree temps. I also try to keep my sunhat/hair wet as much as I can. I find that helps keep me notably cooler.

My first deer hunt in CA was in A Zone. I hunted for years in MI and figured I had all the gear - no problem... or so I thought. Roasted nuts with no campfire! Had to go out and retool most of my clothing after the first weekend. First time I ever hunted in shorts and a T-shirt.

Back