Early Season Sitka AZ

Dshall

FNG
Hello everyone, I have been looking at Rokslide for a couple of months now and I just made an account for my question and after realizing there was a forum option with multiple options I have posted in the right place!

I cannot find information anywhere on what exactly people will wear. I got drawn for the first time applying for early season elk in AZ for unit 27 which I read is supposedly really rough terrain. I will be in Alpine AZ which in August has average temps of 60F from 6-10am and 70F from 11-12pm and 70-90F from 12-4pm. It will be hot and I will most certainly be hot from exerting myself (I sweat ALOT)

I have looked into and want to pursue Sitka. Sitka says to buy the "core lightweight hoody" and "ascent pants" with possibly a "core LS shirt" as a base layer. My question is will this polyester clothing be too chilly from 6-10am or will moving around keep me warm until 12 when I can take the hoody off and keep the LS on. (Also side note that the ascent shirt is on sale so I am maybe leaning towards that as a base instead of the LS with the hoody as outer) or should I do the core hoody as a base with the traverse fleece hoody for the morning?

There are so many options that it is overwhelming and they all seem about the same. Hopefully, someone from out west can help me with the summer clothing. (I am a real tree edge Thinsulate Michigan hunter lol.)

A neutral colored Eddie Bauer guide pant will work. For top side, wear a short sleeved camo t shirt then a long sleeved camo t shirt, camo vest for the morning. You might need light raingear for a afternoon thunder storm. Keep it simple.

If you’re not wearing $2000 worth of sitka you might as well just stay home…

Just kidding. Don’t overthink it. It’s a really pleasant time of year. I’d wear a sun shirt/core LW/ merino hoody and a windshirt as needed (softshell or fleece would work too). Nothing special on the pants. I’d keep a lightweight puffy jacket in my pack and depending on the forecast, a rain jacket and possibly rain pants in my pack.

wapitibob

WKR
I wore short pants and black light wt merino base layer when I hunted unit 1 along with a light core, mid wt and a 90% jacket on top. I drew early archery again this year and will use shorts again as well as the black ovis cottonwood pant, tops will be the same as always, core, mid or hvy wt, and either the old 90% jacket or the mountain jacket.