Sitka Heavyweight Hoody vs Sitka Core Merino 330 Half-Zip

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I currently run a Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody with a Sitka Heavyweight Hoody thrown over the top when some extra warmth is needed when hunting here in Texas or when mule deer hunting in Colorado. With a Sitka Kelvin Light Hoody as my insulation I am realizing I have too many hoods.

Naturally I went to look at getting a Sitka Heavyweight Zip-T but realized it isn't offered in subalpine.

Does anyone have real world experience to compare the Sitka Heavyweight (Hoody or Zip-T) to the new Sitka Core Merino 330 Half-Zip? I'm trying to figure out the warmth of the new 330 merino to the heavyweight pieces. Also, anyone have any reservations on that 330 merino being used as an outer layer in regards to durability?

If you have any other recommendations for a replacement for the Heavyweight Zip-T I'd love to hear those as wel.

Much obliged for the help.

A couple good options come to mind for a grid fleece that I'd recommend. Kryptek has one that's affordable, camo and comes hooded or unhooded. A green condor on amazon is 25$ well spent. Rogers elite grid fleece is fantastic for the price. Mountain hardware has the warmest grid fleece I've ever used. Under armour fleece quarter zips can be a good substitute and again are really cheap on amazon. Tacvasen is another Amazon brand that I'd tell you to look at. If you're looking at a grid fleece vs a merino for higher output and more brush busting I'd say go synthetic all day. The 330 is warm, but not warmer than a comparable weight fleece and not for the cost. However, its a really really cool piece and if you like merino it's a cool piece of kit!

I like thin ultralight merino for base layers and thats about it.

I have a kiln, furnace and other various wools. My favorites are the 145 and 125 by kuiu, because they fit their specific niche the best for me. I tried to love merino mid layers and the furnace almost did it, but that one is now relegated for ice fishing only (it's a 350 weight) because it doesn't dry fast enough to hike in any distance so I end up cold and the face is delicate.

There's a reason half the world has multiple heavyweight hoodies. If the zipper didn't go so high I'd never look for anything else

Last edited: