Eating pigeon, the farm kind

College is a distant memory: but here it goes. E. coli is ALSO in our guts. it is in our fecal matter. so. Fecal coliforms, are used as an indicator of fecal contamination. they test for E.coli to see if something is contaminated. if e.coli is present, no bueno. someone didnt wash there hands..or the water purification system at the treatment plant is not working correctly. in laymans terms, if a test indicates the precence of E. Coli, then that is damn near proof positive that poop got into the item..and it will make you sick. the e.coli isnt the thing..(IIRC)

Your memory is correct. We have E. coli in our guts, but so do many other vertebrates. So finding E. coli in the environment doesn't necessarily mean it's from human contamination. Many times it is indicative of human contamination, but not necessarily.

The bottom line is treat pigeon meat like you would any other wild animal as far as cleaning and cooking go and you'll be fine.

jolemons

WKR
I work in a feedlot and have eaten the resident pigeons. They eat well and taste great.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

cg2737

WKR
I grew up on a dairy farm in upstate NY. At our heifer barn we had an old wooden silo with corn silage in it. We would throw rocks at the outside of the silo and shoot the pigeons as they came out. It was super fun, and they were quite tasty.