Elk 308 vs 6.5 PRC

Tex68w

WKR
I have a TL3 short action custom currently setup with the standard bolt and a 20" 308 barrel. I have been using it for whitetail deer, pigs, Aoudad and whatever else steps out when I am sitting in the blind this past season. I plan to take this to Colorado this coming November for Elk and Mule deer, my hunting partner will have a 300 PRC. I figured if I could stalk inside of 350yds a 150-168gr bullet would likely get it done on an Elk. I really don't want to buy a XM or LA action and start a new build this year from a cost perspective in 6.5PRC, 7 PRC or 300 PRC, even though I'd feel a lot more confident in energy on target beyond 300yds and the option to take longer shots if needed.

6.5 PRC works in a SA so I could run factory loaded ELD ammo and swap to a magnum bolt and 6.5 PRC barrel and gain another 150yds in effective range and have a flatter shooting caliber at the same time. This is a much more cost effective alternative for the time being and it won't require an entirely new build. I plan to build a 7 PRC for next year so this option would simply get me by for this years hunt but if the 6.5 PRC proves to be effective out to 500yds I might not even need to build a magnum option. So my question is do you think it's worth the cost of grabbing a magnum bolt, a new barrel and mags to turn this short action 308 into a 6.5 PRC or should I just keep things as they are and roll with the 308 for this years hunt?

I use 308 for all big game -deer, antelope, bear, and elk. I have shot 6 elk with my 308, between 60-250yards and all have gone down within 20 yards. I wouldn’t hesitate shooting out to 400 and would expect similar results. I currently use Barnes TTSX 168gr for my last 3 elk, but any high quality bullet should work if you place it in the right spot. My personal opinion is to keep life simple and just use your 308

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
I use 308 for all big game -deer, antelope, bear, and elk. I have shot 6 elk with my 308, between 60-250yards and all have gone down within 20 yards. I wouldn’t hesitate shooting out to 400 and would expect similar results. I currently use Barnes TTSX 168gr for my last 3 elk, but any high quality bullet should work if you place it in the right spot. My personal opinion is to keep life simple and just use your 308

I keep telling myself the same and it costs me nothing to keep it as it is. I'm not gonna lie though, similar recoil, less drop, smaller wind calls, and more effective ballistics 100-150 yards further out are attractive with the 6.5 PRC. But I always said that if I were to build a 6.5 PRC it would be on a XM/Medium action for longer COL ammo.

For elk specifically, I would prefer a .308 and have killed many elk with the round, all one shot kills, but obviously range is a touch limited. Don't mess with it. If I had to shoot a 6.5 PRC hunting elk it would be on a medium action and shooting the 156EOL.

Elkbelter

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed a few elk passed 500yds and seen alot more shot with the 6.5-284 using 140 Berger VLD.
Which is a duplicate to the 6.5 PRC.

I have killed a few elk passed 500yds and seen alot more shot with the 6.5-284 using 140 Berger VLD.
Which is a duplicate to the 6.5 PRC.
Clearly 6.5 PRC can kill elk, zero debate there, but many people prefer a bigger bullet regardless of speed, myself included. Also 6.5 PRC can sometimes be an issue or handicapped in short actions.

You guys won't believe this but I have even seen a 6.5 Creedmoor kill an big bull elk at 500....(No way!) Although it did get back up at one point and was shot 4 times. 6.5 PRC isn't some sort of magic, if you shoot the same bullet at a faster speed you extend your range but really you just alter the benchmark of terminal performance by 150 yards with PRC vs Creedmoor. If you believe that 6.5 PRC is good for elk at 850 that means you also believe that 6.5 Creedmoor is good for elk at 700.

For me, "Can kill quickly" and "Will kill quickly" are very different and would rather be damn sure.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Clearly 6.5 PRC can kill elk, zero debate there, but many people prefer a bigger bullet regardless of speed, myself included. Also 6.5 PRC can sometimes be an issue or handicapped in short actions.

You guys won't believe this but I have even seen a 6.5 Creedmoor kill an big bull elk at 500....(No way!) Although it did get back up at one point and was shot 4 times. 6.5 PRC isn't some sort of magic, if you shoot the same bullet at a faster speed you extend your range but really you just alter the benchmark of terminal performance by 150 yards with PRC vs Creedmoor. If you believe that 6.5 PRC is good for elk at 850 that means you also believe that 6.5 Creedmoor is good for elk at 700.

For me, "Can kill quickly" and "Will kill quickly" are very different and would rather be damn sure.

I wouldn't take a shot on an elk with a 6.5 PRC beyond 500, make that 350-ish with a 308. I've decided to keep the 308 and run it as is. Now to pick the right factory load for it.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Try either the 130 or 150 TTSX. Kill just fine and you will be in the wheelhouse at 400 and under.

KurtR

WKR

It was for mine one shot though the heart may have been a touch over 700. 143 eldx exited on the off side

You don't think I'd benefit with a slightly bigger pill, say something like a 165 or 168?
Truth is anything will work. I shot 165 Accubonds out of my 308 and it worked well on elk. Run the ballistics on some different bullets and see what you like.

How long is your barrel? Longer barrel .308 hits very hard.

I despise Barnes bullets for killing animals, especially at 308 velocities, they just do not damage an animal the way a good lead bullet does. There are a lot of elk getting killed at 600 yards and under with 6.5 and smaller diameter bullets, take the time to learn how bullets actually make wounds before you make any decisions.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Truth is anything will work. I shot 165 Accubonds out of my 308 and it worked well on elk. Run the ballistics on some different bullets and see what you like.

How long is your barrel? Longer barrel .308 hits very hard.

20", kept it that length for can use.

JakeSCH

WKR
One of the 168's that have already been brought up will get around 2700 fps at the muzzle in your rifle (maybe more). That still makes it a 600 yard gun at 5000' at 30 degrees.

Spend the money on good ammunition and practicing long range.

I killed my first 8 or so elk with a tikka 308. It just works...practice will be much better than a new cartridge.

KsRancher

WKR
My son's first elk taken with a .308 @ 455yds and a 165gr SST. I always try to get closer if I believe it's the better option. But will not pass up an opportunity to kill one. After seeing what the .308 did to this elk at that distance. It wouldn't bother me to push that to 600yds or farther if needed. Ruger M77 with a 3-9×40 Leupold. Didn't go more than 10yds. Most of that was falling down the mountain after he fell down

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017_090944_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231017_090944_Gallery.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 43