Elk ground meat

Nothing to elk. To whitetail, I add the trimmings I save throughout the year from beef briskets and pork shoulders.

I have tried a lot of different ways Pork shoulder, pork fat, bacon, pork sausage, beef trimmings, high fat ground beef, beef fat, liver and none of it has been bad, although some imparts more flavor than others, to the point of masking the taste of game meat. the only thing I can say that I didn’t care for was the cheap industrial grade sausage seasoning with pork fat mixed that a processor did for me a few years back.

I prefer to grind straight and mix I other stuff - 80/20 ground beef, ground pork shoulder, ground liver - based on The recipe When I cook.

taskswap

WKR
We add beef fat not for flavor but just for bulk and moisture. We don't eat many burgers. The wife likes it for tacos and meatballs, so I do about half and half in one long Sunday setting up 1lb baggies for tacos and rolling meatballs. 2 hours in the freezer and the meatballs are set enough to freeze long term. Meatballs are perfect because she can make 12 or 40, however many people are coming.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I add bacon and or apples to my grind. Or if I have some bear fat, that. I work outside in the woods and can use that fat. Sometimes I don’t even drain my ground beef fat.
Can you tell me about the apple? Moisture? Flavor?

First I’ve ever heard of this aside from some type of ‘apple’ sausage and I’m intrigued.

Sounds interesting and we’ll worth doing, especially with bacon!

LoggerDan

WKR
@PNWGATOR

Wellsir, it does add the flavor And the moisture too. The bacon is chopped and ground, at a ratio of 5lbs of deer, elk or bear, to one pound of lesser quality bacon, as it’s more streak than meat. I just like that mix myself for most anything I cook or the woman. The apples; reds work good for things in a sauce. Seems to me the meat, the bacon and the apple along with the rind works with heavy tomato based things. Green apples are great for burgers or for breakfast loose meat. You wouldn’t think apple would make a burger good, but it sure does. So I always grind some straight, some with bacon or bear fat and some with bacon and apple.

I don’t add anything to grind moose.

The Guide

WKR
Can you tell me about the apple? Moisture? Flavor?

First I’ve ever heard of this aside from some type of ‘apple’ sausage and I’m intrigued.

Sounds interesting and we’ll worth doing, especially with bacon!
I have a friend who is a butcher. He has a low fat burger recipe that uses apple sause as the moisture and binder. It is a thick commodity apple sause that is very heavy on pulp with less juice. Burgers cooked from this mix have an amazing crust and are very juicy with no fat. You have to use a little oil to keep them from sticking. Not sure this would make good ground meat for a recipe but they are great for burgers.

We raised meat rabbits for several years and never added fat to our ground rabbit. It wouldn't make a burger but the rabbit tacos are bomb.

Jay

I’ve done a good bit by itself, but I prefer to use a pork loin mixed in or personal favorite beef or pork kidney fat. Around 6-8%. Enough to make a burger or not have to add butter.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t add anything. Double grind and work the patties a little when you make burgers. They’ll bind just fine. You can also add an egg and some breadcrumbs.
same here, just need to be careful in handling

also add about 3TBS mayo or about 1TBS olive oil per pound for burgers. Good flavor and a bit more sticky.

I use bacon ends and pieces. I’ve used beef kidney fat for many years when I processed WG but I don’t like it much for myself. It’s great for burgers but not so much in other dishes. The bacon ends are already cooked/smoked to over 150 degrees so no issues with cooking medium hb’s. I have hb like this that’s 5 years old and it’s just fine. It’s all packaged in a poly tube and taped tight to seal the bag.