Elk herd slaughter/poaching in Ellensburg WA. Help spread the word

colersu22

WKR
Damn, I have hunted that area in the past. Makes me sick that this kind of stuff happens.

robie

WKR
Sad. I would love some of that meat in my freezer and some asshole just uses them as target practice.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I read the title "elk herd slaughter" on the opening page and thought to myself that I bet it was in WA before I even clicked the sub forum link which showed the full title. It has happened there before...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just don't get it, why would anyone ever do something like this?

Look up some of the prior instances in the state for one example of why. Not saying that is what this will turn out to be but if vegas was taking bets on this I know where I'd place my money. I could very easily be wrong though, just saying when I read "elk herd slaughtered" I though of WA before I knew it was WA based on it happening before.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Pods,

I know what you are implying with your comments. I live very near this area and have seen this and much worse from that crowd, but usually that doesn't start happening until we get snow. I would imagine this incident was either a bunch of unhappy hunters who didn't have any success or a bunch of drunk idiots just killing for the thrill. If we had snow, then I would agree with your assumption.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pods,

I know what you are implying with your comments. I live very near this area and have seen this and much worse from that crowd, but usually that doesn't start happening until we get snow. I would imagine this incident was either a bunch of unhappy hunters who didn't have any success or a bunch of drunk idiots just killing for the thrill. If we had snow, then I would agree with your assumption.

The only times I've heard of these types of things has been that of which I reference so that would be my guess (but obviously that isn't an indictment). I used to live in WA, you would see and also read officer reports on this stuff all year long, not just the snowy season. That said it happening during public rifle season is a-typical I do agree. Hard to imagine folks that would actually face repercussions when caught would do something of this nature. Its high profile and there are lots of other eyes in the field during rifle season, leans towards someone that knows they won't actually face any punishment. It will be interesting to see what they turn up on this and if anyone is actually punished.

The truly sad thing is; it happens more the general hunting public realizes. We dealt with (I'm assuming) the same "crowd" over here on the wet side for several years in the '90's. They NEED to be caught and punished. That's the only reason they don't come around here anymore.

colersu22

WKR
Folks in the past have been caught for stuff like this, but they don't get punished unless they have trespassed or something. State wanton waste rules don't apply to everyone sadly.

I pick up what your putting down, probably a safe bet it is the same people as 2 years ago was my first thought.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seems familiar was my only thought but definitely interested in the full story. Just also pointing out for some of the folks not famiar with that area that just because they figure out who did it doesn't necessarily mean much in some cases sadly.