Elk hunt #3 still a "90%er"

Tejasbow

FNG
Horse shoes and hand grenades. Elk at 10 yards. Blah blah blah.

Totally different animal than I had last year. Last year they were vocal and using meadows. Large herds where they should be. This year quiet elusive animal. Heard a few mid day bugles day 1. Had 1 grunt at me day 3. Few after dark and before sun up on occasion.

Lessons learned.
1. Which I know from watching so many videos, BUT YOU NEVER LET SOMETHING SYNC IN TILL IT KICKS YOU ON THE BALLS. Get the caller back!
2. Likely the biggest lesson. The area/ unit we hunt just flat is not big enough. We hike 3 hours to get away from the crowd which is a must. But there is just not enough country back there for a week of hunting. 3 days tops.

Think I'm going to be in another state all together. Sucks to leave an area you've gotten figured out but I want more area to hunt.

Here's to all the 90%ers keeping the state's bank account full.

George

Lil-Rokslider
I feel ya, there is a pretty good crowd up there this week. The 2 elk that I have seen were both running in front of my ride on the road on my way back down. I've yet to hear a real one.

G

OP
T

Tejasbow

FNG
We saw elk.
Day one had a bull at a water hole as I approached it.
Day two herd bull and 5 cows
Day three called in two young non legal bulls and had several others skirt our call set ups in the timber out at 50/60 yards. Amazing how such a large animal can be so quiet and elusive in such thick timber