Elk Hunting Strategy

JK9897

FNG
Ok guys, I know I’m asking a very general question here and will get many responses but I’m open to any advice. I am a first time elk hunter coming from the Midwest. I will be hunting elk 1st season archery in NW Colorado. Mix of public and private, avg elevation around 9000. Private has some alfalfa fields on it. I have done my e-scouting and research but I need help with coming up with a daily strategy. During this season is it best to get up high and glass in the morning and then hunt them? Is it best to hunt fields? Call? Water and wallows? We are just not sure what a day hunting should look like for us. There will be 2 of us. Do you guys have suggestions? Or maybe if you could tell me your general daily strategy? Thanks in advance!

OP
J

JK9897

FNG
We will be hunting from a base camp/trailer but could do an overnight if needed

Wrench

WKR
I'd not waste my time in an alfalfa field with a bow. Little cover, lots of potential for disaster. I'd glass from a thermal vantage point on my scout days and get a feel for how far they're going to bed. When it was time to hunt, I'd try to setup between the bedding area and food if wind can work and if not I'd hang tight till about 10-11 when they get tired and lazy.....then I'd slip in and feel em out. Work up a slow sequence and try to get on a bulls nerves.

Then I'd eat him.

ElkNut1

WKR
It's really sad to read comments about guys not willing to practice their calling to the point of having confidence to use in the elkwoods. You guys are missing out on one of the most exciting features of hunting during the elk rut! You're missing out on the high energy adrenaline rush that we hunters receive in calling in both bulls & cows.

Learn how to use calling to communicate like the elk do & you will find you don't have to hunt elk like you would deer. Nothing wrong with Spot & Stalk or ambushing if the country/terrain allows it but to be a complete elk hunter you need to take advantage of every form of hunting elk that is available to us!

I've taken elk with about every weapon possible & under all types of situations but nothing beats calling in elk, it's the ultimate western challenge. Elk are very callable on OTC public lands, we do it every year with success & so can you. Yes, there's a Learning Curve but it's a fun one! (grin) Definitely entertain the thought, you'll be glad you did & you'll look at elk hunting the rut in a whole new light! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can’t even imagine not trying to hunt them without calling.....like Paul said get goood and elk in otc units can be had with calls if ambush is an option go for it but have the option to call also...good luck

It's really sad to read comments about guys not willing to practice their calling to the point of having confidence to use in the elkwoods. You guys are missing out on one of the most exciting features of hunting during the elk rut! You're missing out on the high energy adrenaline rush that we hunters receive in calling in both bulls & cows.

Learn how to use calling to communicate like the elk do & you will find you don't have to hunt elk like you would deer. Nothing wrong with Spot & Stalk or ambushing if the country/terrain allows it but to be a complete elk hunter you need to take advantage of every form of hunting elk that is available to us!

I've taken elk with about every weapon possible & under all types of situations but nothing beats calling in elk, it's the ultimate western challenge. Elk are very callable on OTC public lands, we do it every year with success & so can you. Yes, there's a Learning Curve but it's a fun one! (grin) Definitely entertain the thought, you'll be glad you did & you'll look at elk hunting the rut in a whole new light! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

I can attest to this. In 2008, I drew my first elk tag and first archery hunt. I applied for the tag on a whim. Admittedly knowing nothing about elk. Up until then, I rifle hunted for deer.

After a couple close calls calling with only a hoochie, and spot n stalk, and going home empty, I was hooked. I immediately upon returning home, searched the web for as much information as I could find.

Enter Elknut1 and the PlayBook. This was just what the elk doctor ordered! Saying that the learning curve was cut down is an understatement. I killed 6 elk in the next 8 years from 2009. 4 cows and 2 bulls.

The last 3 years I've had a little bad luck, but not because I haven't had opportunities. I haven't called in a single cow in 3 years but probably called in 30 bulls into bow range. And called in a few for my friends who have killed, or blew the opportunity. Including 2 in October during muzzleloader.

Paul's right, if you bury your calls in the bottom of your pack, or leave them at camp, you are seriously putting limitations on your hunting skills and reducing your odds and opportunities. Once you learn Paul's material, you're a step up on the 1 dimensional Hunter.

Once you learn how to call with a mouth reed, and really gain control of your reeds, your elk confidence will be thru the roof and you very well could be the next Hunter in the 10% club. The information is there for the taking. It's up to you to grab the bull by the horns and run with it. Nothing like calling elk to you and dictating the outcome ;)

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
Elk will be in congregation areas (generally low) at night. Get out 1-2 hours before daylight and find them. Follow them up, calling and looking for an opportunity as you go. Keep in mind that they are purposefully moving to their beds. Once they reach their bedding area you’ll likely have your best opportunity. Keep practicing on those calls and, more importantly, learn what to say, when to say it, and why. Calling is 99.9% of the reason to archery elk hunt.

cnelk

WKR
Can you hunt the private hay meadows or are they just in the area?

If you cant hunt the private, stay away from them, unless you want to be totally frustrated and watch elk that you cant hunt.

OP
J

JK9897

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. Like greentimber said, it is a big reason why we chose to archery hunt. I have watched some of ElkNut1’s videos and feel I know what to say just have to keep getting better at it and gain experience. I was just trying to form a good daily plan. Where to go, when and what to do. Obviously I need to find the elk first. cnelk, we will be able to hunt all of the private hay meadows if we want to.

Beendare

WKR
I'm an equal opportunity elk hunter....I don't have a dog in this calling fight.

Yeah, if you are in an area with elk..... running and calling is fun as heck.

My advice; You need to find them first...figure out what they are doing. If they are using the fields and coming up onto public to bed...you could pressure them too much by calling hard and loose all opportunity as they will just bed in the fields out of reach. Be careful of someone recommending one strategy.

The elk adapt to pressure quickly. If you are in vast areas of public ground...they just move and you can reacquire. I've seen elk in areas with private, that when we pressured them too hard- they just stayed on the private.

I've also called elk as they were leaving fields coming up onto the public to bed. The right calling makes a big difference in these scenarios as others have said. For example, a challenge bugle in that situation just pushes them away from you.

Keep this in mind; you aren't always calling just to the bull......best of luck.

Jasper17

FNG
Calling elk is awesome and fun. Practice with different brands or unusual off the wall brands most of the commercial ones are beat to death and the elk know them after opening morning. best of luck

Personally I spend 20 minutes a night with my Phelps game calls. I’m from Oregon, so like the Born and Raised guys I see nothing wrong with doing the “cat road shuffle”. I’d find sign and start sending out locator calls. Work from there. Good luck! I have family in Colorado and hope to maybe hunt 2020/2021 there.

I’d also focus and oxygen training. The elevation is no joke. My normal oxygen saturation was 98%. Day 1 at 9400 feet with 30 seconds of exertion(walking up a flight of stairs) I dropped to 84%, dizzy, blue lips and ears.

I know MTN OPs makes a supplement. Supposedly taking a Tums every day for like 10 days is supposed to help. I’d try to get there at least 4 days early to get acclimated to the elevation!

Isn't the calling the coolest part? We aren't that good but we still managed to use the locator in the morning and wouldn't have had a clue where to go on our first elk hunt without it.