Elk Newbie - Critique my gear list

whaack

WKR
So for over a year I have been planning and scouting (Google Earth, Garmin Maps, etc) for my DIY backcountry archery elk hunt. I have my zone narrowed down and I have my plan A, B and C scouted...for the most part. Might add plan A, B and C in another neighboring GMU just in case.

I have spent the past year aquring all the gear I think I need, most of it as good as my wallet will allow. Take a look, let me know if i have soemthing that just isn't going to cut it, or if I am missing something totally obvious. I think I got it pretty narrowed down but looking for advice from some more seasoned elk archery hunters.

Thanks in advance!

Bow Mathews Halon or Halon 32
Range Finder Leupold RX-1000i
Binoculars Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42
Bino Harness Sitka Bino Bivy
GPS Garmin GPSMAP 64st
Backpack Exo Mountain 3500 w/ Side Pockets, Meat Shelf & Weapon Carrier
Sleeping Bag Kelty SB20 Sleeping Back
Bag Liner Sea to Summit Silk Travel Liner
Packing Pillow ThermaRest Trekker Pillow Case
Sleeping pad ThermaRest NeoAir Xlite
Glassing pad ThermaRest Z Seat
Jacket Kelvin Lite Hoody & Dewpoint
Pants Ascent Pant & Dewpoint Pant
Shirt Sitka Merino Shirt & Core Lightweight Hoody
Gloves Sitka Merino Gloves
Boots Lowa Tibet GTX and/or Solomon Quest 4D GTX
Camp Shoes Crocs
Gaiters Sitka Stormfront
Calls Bugling Bull Calls
Release Scott Exxus x 2
Game Bags Orvis XL Game Bags
Tent Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2
Watch Suunto Core All Black
Water Bladder Platypus Big Zip 3.0L & Platypus Soft Bottle 1.0L
Filter System Sawyer Squeeze
Wet Wipes/TP Scent free baby wipes
Medical Kit Surgical glue, band-aids, gauze, alcohol wipes, antibiotic cream, steri-strip, q-tips, sting relief, pepto, ace bandage, tylenol, Advil PM,
Lighter Mini Bic Lighter
Fire Kit Small Cannister w/ Vasaline Cotton Balls
Gutting Knife Outdoor Edge Razor Pro
Pocket Knife Benchmade 940-1
Dry Sack Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack
Paracord 25' 550 Cord
Headlamp Petzl Tikka XP Lamp and/or Black Diamond Storm
Utensil MSR Folding Spork
Cook Stove MSR Windburner + 3x 3.9oz Fuel Cannister
Wind Checker Dead Down Wind Wind Checker
Bow Repair Kit D-Loop, Extra Strings/Cables, wax, serving string, allen set, multi-tool

Kustom

FNG
How many days is your hunt? Solo? Can you cut weight with a larger full canister and take just one?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
Good question. I am going with a brother and I was only planning on taking 1 cannister in my pack. Our trip is for 8 days, so the spares will be left in the truck.

cnelk

WKR
For weight reduction i would let the baby wipes dry out and then re hydrate as needed.

I would double the para cord to 50ft

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I used one fuel canister on a 7 day hunt and had extra left over. I would say one or two at the most.

How far from the truck will you be? If not too far I would leave the bow repair kit back at the truck. Probably only need one knife as well.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Good question. I am going with a brother and I was only planning on taking 1 cannister in my pack. Our trip is for 8 days, so the spares will be left in the truck.

I've been debating between the Exo 3500 and 5500. Do you think you will get all 8 days in your 3500? Are you hunting with everything on your back or just setting up a spike camp?

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
great list. more than enough money spent already to get out, have a great hunt, and learn what you might want to improve/change-out.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
For weight reduction i would let the baby wipes dry out and then re hydrate as needed.

I would double the para cord to 50ft

Yes I had read that about the wipes. Thanks, will make sure to do that.

Thanks on the para cord.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
I used one fuel canister on a 7 day hunt and had extra left over. I would say one or two at the most.

How far from the truck will you be? If not too far I would leave the bow repair kit back at the truck. Probably only need one knife as well.

Yes, my plan is to only take one fuel cannister in my pack. For the knife I'd like to keep my skinner and my "utility" knife seperate. My Benchmade in only a few ounces and will be in pocket. I'm just not that confident in the outdoor edge for any heavy work I might ask of it.

rokclmb

FNG
Unless I'm overlooking it I don't see where you're taking food? Food will add some weight/bulk to your pack as well. Also, If you're taking a smart phone consider adding OnX Maps or similar app and save maps prior to your trip in case cell service isn't available. If you put the phone in Airplane mode it will last the whole trip if not used minimally. Good luck!

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
Unless I'm overlooking it I don't see where you're taking food? Food will add some weight/bulk to your pack as well. Also, If you're taking a smart phone consider adding OnX Maps or similar app and save maps prior to your trip in case cell service isn't available. If you put the phone in Airplane mode it will last the whole trip if not used minimally. Good luck!

I was planning on just drinking mountain water and eating berries, is that a good idea? :)

J/K, yes I have a whole food list but I left that out. I am a very well controlled diabetic on pump therapy so I have to taylor my food intake a bit. My BIL who is going with me is a Phys Assist so that is the only reason the wife finally allowed me to plan this trip without worrying her head off.

I have the CO OnX Maps for my Garmin GPS. My BIL will have a Garmin InReach for texting our spouses updates and where abouts.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
I've been debating between the Exo 3500 and 5500. Do you think you will get all 8 days in your 3500? Are you hunting with everything on your back or just setting up a spike camp?

With this gear list I have, plus food I can make it pretty easily 6 days without the pack becoming overly burdened. I could probably do 8 days if i left a few things out, or really got down to the bare minimum.

Our plan is to hunt as long as we have supplies, then if we have to hike back to the truck to change locatons or get supplies then so be it.

Felix40

WKR
I would leave 2 fuel cannisters, bow repair kit, sleeping bag liner (usually a 20 degree bag is plenty for archery), baby wipes, and the crocs at the truck. I would be blown away if you can get everything you listed in a 3500 pack with several days of food. Edit: sounds like you have packed it all in the bag before and it fit so good deal 👍

I would add a roll of tenacious tape, a couple more mini lighters, and an inline adapter for your water bladder hose so you can fill it with the squeeze filter without taking the bladder out of the pack. Also dont let that filter freeze or it will be ruined.

Looks like you have way more good gear than i did the first time i went.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
I would leave 2 fuel cannisters, bow repair kit, sleeping bag liner (usually a 20 degree bag is plenty for archery), baby wipes, and the crocs at the truck. I would be blown away if you can get everything you listed in a 3500 pack with several days of food. Edit: sounds like you have packed it all in the bag before and it fit so good deal 👍

I would add a roll of tenacious tape, a couple more mini lighters, and an inline adapter for your water bladder hose so you can fill it with the squeeze filter without taking the bladder out of the pack. Also dont let that filter freeze or it will be ruined.

10-4,

Do you guys just go bare foot when you get back to camp and want to let your feet "breath". I'm cool with that just wasn't sure what everyone did.

The EXO 3500 is WAY bigger than 3500 cu in. I can fit everything I have, plus food with a bit of room, for a 6 day hunt. This pack really expands.

10-4 on the in line disconnect. Already have that in place, installed it this past week.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR

On the bag liner I was more worried about keeping the bag clean. Its treated down bag and read on here a lot of guys recommend a bag liner to save washing the bag?

elkduds

WKR
Looks like a thorough list. I leave a packframe in the truck so I can carry bigger loads more comfortably after 1st trip out to truck.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Next time you fill that pack snap a picture. I believe you on the pack expanding, but would like to see it loaded up with 6 days worth of gear. Thanks.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I missed it, but back up water treatment? Otherwise you could nitpick two pounds with the pillow,pillow case and extra knife but being your first go with what you have and decide from there.

Small multitool with pliers?