Elk Tip #1

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5MB I tried running an elk down last year, I was taken miles and I mean miles from my position. They really hurt me. I got dizzy, dehydrated and lost my ability to utilize information to find my way back. I was just gonna go a little way, but they kept pulling me closer and closer and closer. lol
Now my pack never stays, it always goes with. I have chased elk dozens of times before, without pack, this was that one time it cost me, and Ill never do it again, ever, not even 20 yards, regardless what the social media video guys do.
:)

I NEVER drop my pack. And as long as I am closing ground on them, I keep going no matter how far we go. Those are those instances where I jump out of the tunnel vision at some point and realize that I am soaking wet from head to toe with sweat. I can wring the sweat out of my baseball cap.

I did the same thing on a big flock of turkeys one afternoon while driving back to camp. I had a tag and they were just 50 yards away so I got out and tried to get a shot. A mile and a half later I suddenly realized how far they had taken me, and I was still chasing. IMO elk are easier to run down than those turkeys.

Sled

WKR
5MB I tried running an elk down last year, I was taken miles and I mean miles from my position. They really hurt me. I got dizzy, dehydrated and lost my ability to utilize information to find my way back. I was just gonna go a little way, but they kept pulling me closer and closer and closer. lol
Now my pack never stays, it always goes with. I have chased elk dozens of times before, without pack, this was that one time it cost me, and Ill never do it again, ever, not even 20 yards, regardless what the social media video guys do.
:)

i think i remember this story on UWN a couple years back. LE hunt, dropped your pack to chase bulls and it got dark. the gps point didn't save or something like that. did you ever find that pack?

Not me, wrong guy

My LE hunt , the elk came to me
Lol

i think i remember this story on UWN a couple years back. LE hunt, dropped your pack to chase bulls and it got dark. the gps point didn't save or something like that. did you ever find that pack?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Love the stories outcome, but yea the mountains have tamed a lot of prideful hunters and made many a men reach deep inside to test more than just physical strength. The mental abilities is so misunderstood for hunting out west. Usually never tested, but when they are, you discover who you are and what you are capable of in life.
Super sweet bull.