Elk vs Deer Hunt Decision

Whats up rokslide, this is my first post so hopefully I'm doing it right. I'm currently a student here in CO and am debating on my approach to the big game draw for 2024 and 2025. Based on my limited time here being a non-resident, I will have two years to both get points and go hunt (I currently have 0 points in all species). Here's my dilemma: Put in for a 0 pref point deer tag for 2024, getting an elk pref point which I use in 2025 OR put in for a 0 pref point elk tag for 2024, getting a deer pref point which I use 2025. In y'alls experience, are deer or elk tags generally better in the 1 pref point category. I know this is very broad but basic answers is all I'm looking for I suppose.
P.S this is for RIFLE seasons only. Thanks!

UncleBone

WKR
Youre not going to get much on either side with 1 PP, especially if you keep your NR status. You may see a few less people in a 1 PP unit, but it doesn't mean you will see more or bigger animals.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
NR in CO school full time for 6 months qualifies as a resident. When exactly did you start school?

Get points. And use those points as a CO resident. Not NR. Until then, OTC elk as NR.

And get your 3 base points for MSG while you are considered a CO resident also.

OP
A
Yup, forgot to clarify that ladogg. I can apply as a resident since I've been a FT student for more than 6 months.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
I would qpply all species.

I would do deer elk points only for 2024. Then, actually hunt a return/reissue tag, not a 0 point tag. And you get to keep your points.

Save your points and actually hunt your points on your final year as a "resident".

Too bad you didn't buy points for a few years before getting this backdoor residency opportunity. Keep that mistake in mind as you are planning for post school hunts.

OP
A
No kidding, I definitely wish I knew that a few years ago. Anyways thanks for the tips

BigMick93

FNG
I would qpply all species.

I would do deer elk points only for 2024. Then, actually hunt a return/reissue tag, not a 0 point tag. And you get to keep your points.

Save your points and actually hunt your points on your final year as a "resident".

Too bad you didn't buy points for a few years before getting this backdoor residency opportunity. Keep that mistake in mind as you are planning for post school hunts.
Ladogg411,

As a non res, would it be right to buy points for both deer and elk? I too want to hunt CO, but being from IN id like to actually see elk. And if you draw and don't get in, does it bank a point for next season?

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Ladogg411,

As a non res, would it be right to buy points for both deer and elk? I too want to hunt CO, but being from IN id like to actually see elk. And if you draw and don't get in, does it bank a point for next season?
Yes, buy points for CO deer and elk. Personally, I would never drive to CO from IN for OTC elk. But at least you could drive thru RMNP one direction to see the elk that you're unlikely to find as a rookie in a OTC unit.

Accumulate points and start praying that CPW follows through on a redesign of their hosed preference point system.

Go to CO after you have at least a few points. And watch that silly reissue website to try to snag a tag that won't use any points at all.

Last edited:

UncleBone

WKR
Yes, buy points for CO deer and elk. Personally, I would never drive to CO from IN for OTC elk. But at least you could drive thru RMNP one direction to see the elk that you're unlikely to find as a rookie in a OTC unit.

Accumulate points and start praying that CPW follows through on a redesign of their hosed preference point system.

Go to CO after you have at least a few points. And watch that silly reissue website to try to snag a tag that won't use any points at all.
We try not to talk about the "silly reissue website".

awhit13

FNG
As others have mentioned go the otc route if your only goal is to go hunting.
If you have the money, get a GoHunt insider account and spend some time researching your draw odds. The info on that website will help steer you in the right direction.