Entering Canada

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, headed up to northern Ontario in May for a black bear hunt. Has anyone ever entered Canada with a reckless driving offence?

I know every situation is different, but curious if anyone else has had any experiences.

Thanks!

I live 25 minutes from the border and the main deal killer for most folks other than the obvious lack of current passport is if you've had a DWI. If you'd like I think I can find a phone # that you could call to ask.

Flying won't get you in. They scan your passport at the airport and if you are denied you are in the next flight back. Just what I've been told though.

a number would be great!, I've called the main border patrol number all week but have given up after being on hold for several minutes. I've been through the border 4 times fishing in Winnipeg, but not since I picked up this reckless.

Thanks again guys!

Not sure on that offense but I know if you're driving you don't need a passport (just license), only flying you do

I would think that offense would be ok but would definitely keep trying them on the phone so there's no surprises..

Also like to add there is a form for transportation of a firearm up there which can save any issues. Granted as long as the rifle is 'long enough' you should be ok though. We were NEVER checked getting in however coming back was a different story.

Ive been into Canada several times, sometimes guys that have past DWI convictions. Last I remember, wreckless driving is viewed the same (criminally) as a dwi (4th degree misdameanor). Very few people have them compared to dui/dwi's so you'll likely find less info on crossing with one.

I thought a few years ago Canadian govt began allowing people with whiskey tickets across as long as they had gone through the admin process prior. I remember the local newspaper doing an article that they were computing the number in lost revenue and decided to relax the regs, pending you went through the appropriate process. I could be remembering though.... If that's the case, it would behoove you to start that paperwork now....

Not sure on that offense but I know if you're driving you don't need a passport (just license), only flying you do

I would think that offense would be ok but would definitely keep trying them on the phone so there's no surprises..

Absolutely not accurate.

It takes about 9 months and $2,500 for a law firm to get you pre-approved to go if you're "rehabilitated" after a DWI.

Up until 2007 you could do it with a birth certificate. Since then, you need a passport. I drive between the states and Alaska frequently.

I went up there last year, and my offense was over 10 years ago. I had to get paperwork from the courthouse that said it had been over 10 years, and make sure you are very honest about your reason to be there. They were pretty hardcore at the border, especially compared to the US customs office.

This is more similar to the process I remember reading about /\/\/\/\.....

The lawyer stuff I believe was a necessity prior to the Canadian govt relaxing on the dui issue... I've had our rigs completely stripped down to unrolling pairs of socks at the boarder from both sides of customs... metal room with one way mirror and all. I've also gotten through both sides in a matter of minutes. All depends when they decide your number is up...

I have crossed for four different bear hunts.
If it has been more than 10 years , you are considered rehabilitated.
If not and you get pulled in to get checked out it is up to them. If yer a prick they will tell you to turn around. If you answer all their questions honestly , most times they will give you the option of paying $200 for a week long pass basically( I know this from experience). Kind of bs but a no brainier when you have a hunt already payed for.
If you have a gun ,you have to go in and fill out yer firearm form, easier to do it ahead of time but do not sign it until you are there.
If no gun just answer their questions and that's it, no extra chatter. Totally a crap shoot if you get pulled in and searched. Getting searched sucks and takes a while( I know from experience). If you have any more questions just ask. Who you hunting with?

It takes about 9 months and $2,500 for a law firm to get you pre-approved to go if you're "rehabilitated" after a DWI.

But if you're a Muslim refugee with ties to ISIS then they'll welcome you and your four child brides with open arms.

Ah, the joys of gettin a liberal government once again. . Junior is, near as I can tell, a compleat peckerwood..seems hell bent on making Muslims the new ruling class..

In Canada a DUI is considered an indictable offence (indictable=felony in U.S. law). A felony conviciton of any kind may make you inadmissible to Canada.
So even if your reckless driving charge is a not felony offence in your jurisdiction, and Canada has a similar law that lists it as indictable, you are inadmissible to Canada.

Canada's version is "dangerous driving", and it is considered either a summary offence or indictable offense (depending on the nature of the charge), so theoretically you could be denied entry depending on the supervisor of the border crossing (they have final say over the matter) if they feel your charge was felony.

If it makes you feel any better, Candians get treated like s**t at our own border by Canadian Customs as well.

I have a buddy that works for a big general contractor as a project manager have to go though these hoops so he could work a job in Canada from a DUI conviction that was 8 years old. He also had to get reference letters to give to the lawyers showing he has changed.

Back