Entire sleep system under pack?

First backpack hunt. So working with a number of budget items. Mostly worried about limited pack space.

Using an Alps Traverse pack. 3-5 day Spike camp.

Currently I have my 20 degree mommy bag, Trekker 2V tent, and inflatable sleeping bag all in the One Tigris waterproof compression sack under the pack. Any reason having this 8lbs or so under the pack will cause any major back or shoulder problems when hiking?

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 114

Gobbler36

WKR
Where you putting meat?

also yes it will work but no it’s not very comfortable
my suggestion would be to pick up a pack that is more intended for backpack hunting

Felix40

WKR
I think it would be a pain in deadfall. Other than that, if you can deal with it bumping into your hamstrings every step, I see no issue

OP
OkiechasingElk
Where you putting meat?

also yes it will work but no it’s not very comfortable
my suggestion would be to pick up a pack that is more intended for backpack hunting
It’s expandable between the storage area and the inner frame for meat hauling. After first trip out with camp and first load of meat; I’ll have an old meat hauler frame I’ll take in for heavier meat loads on subsequent trips.

OP
OkiechasingElk
I think it would be a pain in deadfall. Other than that, if you can deal with it bumping into your hamstrings every step, I see no issue
I’m 6’5”, did a test run around the yard, it’s more mid-upper buttocks than hammy’s.

I could definitely see it being an issue if I get in heavy deadfall areas.

OP
OkiechasingElk
Should be fine. Maybe strap it up vertical in the center of your pack. You don’t need an expensive pack. It does make it a lot more convenient though.
That make solid sense. Once it’s daylight and I’m in a ways I’ll have my bow off my pack and in my hands, so that’d free up the middle to strap the sleep system too.

That make solid sense. Once it’s daylight and I’m in a ways I’ll have my bow off my pack and in my hands, so that’d free up the middle to strap the sleep system too.
IMO carrying your bow on your pack is a bad idea. Even with a bow sling protector thingy, you’re opening yourself up to possible issues with snagging, scraping cams, etc. Plus, it sure would suck if you saw a bull and your bow was on your pack!!

I had a pack with a drop down sleep system carrier and I hated it. It always bounced off the back of my legs. That being said, for a limited duration budget hunt, if it works for you, run it. You can always upgrade later if you get the itch.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
You can probably fold the sleep pad (and maybe a tarp or something else small and flat) in such a way as to fit it in the meat area and then zip it back up. Then strap the tent tight to the bottom. The sleeping bag can be stuffed inside with no stuff sack. That should leave room for food and gear for 3 days. I have two of those packs for turkey hunting. My wife has used hers for backpacking. I wouldn't strap my bow on there without a protective sleeve over the string and cams. If you don't bring a spotter, that big lined side pouch holds a lot of gear.

MattB

WKR
IMO carrying your bow on your pack is a bad idea. Even with a bow sling protector thingy, you’re opening yourself up to possible issues with snagging, scraping cams, etc. Plus, it sure would suck if you saw a bull and your bow was on your pack!!
I agree that having your bow strapped to your pack any time during legal shooting hours when you have an unpunched tag is just dumb.

That said, I have hiked a ton with a bow strapped to the front of my pack with never a single issue. My biggest concern is dinging the bottom cam. Just need to be careful taking off and putting on your pack. Never a string/cable issue.

Marble

WKR
It’s expandable between the storage area and the inner frame for meat hauling. After first trip out with camp and first load of meat; I’ll have an old meat hauler frame I’ll take in for heavier meat loads on subsequent trips.
So, in theory, everything you are planning will work. I have done what you're doing, my wife has and other friends too. Immediately after those trips, new packs were purchased.

I don't know if it's a saying here or not. But it seems like one of the themes of this place is to not skimp on boots, packs or optics. Whether or not this applies to you, I can't say. If you can handle the suck, then do it.

There are lots of stories of guys cutting trips short etc because of issues with those things mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, I say this with love: Just don't.

TLDR: Take your meat frame instead.

Your setup might work for a day-hike on a decent tourist hiking trail. But to go in the elk woods with that, it's going to suck. How do I know this? Cause I've been there/done that etc. It sucks a lot, and it's going to make you quit early.

Solutions:

(1) You said you have a meat frame. Take that. Put your gear in a drybag. Strap the bag to your frame. It'll work about 18x better than what you've got rigged up. Only part that will suck is possibly hitting the top crossmember of the frame on brush, but that's an inconvenience, not a trip-killer. (Pro-tip: Do this option.)

(2) Take that bag, and ratchet strap the whole thing to your meat frame. Walk in with that rig, dump it in camp, day-hunt with your daybag. Not my personal choice, but some guys have an attachment to needing a daybag with them vs running a full frame on day hunts.

(3) Get the tent out of the stuff sack. Stuff it loosely into your pack. Put your pad in your bag too. Then put the mummy bag up on top of your pack, and strap it down up there. That'll improve your pack profile better, with no movement/swinging/bouncing/snagging.

Friday AM 2 cents.

First backpack hunt. So working with a number of budget items. Mostly worried about limited pack space.

Using an Alps Traverse pack. 3-5 day Spike camp.

Currently I have my 20 degree mommy bag, Trekker 2V tent, and inflatable sleeping bag all in the One Tigris waterproof compression sack under the pack. Any reason having this 8lbs or so under the pack will cause any major back or shoulder problems when hiking?

Last edited:

gabenzeke

WKR
I think I tend to agree that it may be better to buy a huge dry bag and strap that to the frame you intend to use for hauling meat. But if you can handle the suck, go for it. You go back in time and a lot of people did way more with way less.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've done similar to that, but not quite that low. If you have room between your pack and frame, put it there. The reason I didn't do that in this pic, is that I already have a dry bag with stuff packed between my SG bag and frame. I was also packing in the day before the season started, so no issues having my bow strapped to the pack.
100_2552.JPG

OP
OkiechasingElk
Well I feel like I could have pulled it off okay. But also it’d be a pain have so much constantly strapped to the outside. Why haul in additional opportunities for problems?

I went to Cabelas and got a bigger in frame pack. On sale; so that helps. Big enough to get everything inside and has a much more comfortable suspension.

Appreciate the feedback.