Epoxy River Table

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Hahaha I appreciate all the feedback and comments. I promise you I’m not normally this level headed. There were numerous times during this project that I had to walk away and leave that thing sitting for weeks before I could get back at it

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
10-4. 72 hours is a long time so I was curious if you used a deep pour epoxy or not. Looks like you did.

I'm taking notes for when I get around to my project.

Thanks!
Yeah I’m running off memory but I believe it was about 72 hours or so before it became tacky. If you’re looking at doing the river style table you definitely want to get the deep pour stuff. The regular epoxy gets way hotter and will discolor and crack if you try and deep pour it. I did use the regular epoxy stuff to seal the edges of the slabs before I poured though. This supposedly helps the epoxy bond to the slab and prevents the slab from releasing too much air during the curing process. No clue if it worked or not since this was my first try and air bubbles definitely escaped from the slabs, but I’m not sure how bad it would have been if I didn’t seal the edges. If you want I can send you the stuff I used, just shoot me a Pm

TX_Diver

WKR
Yeah I’m running off memory but I believe it was about 72 hours or so before it became tacky. If you’re looking at doing the river style table you definitely want to get the deep pour stuff. The regular epoxy gets way hotter and will discolor and crack if you try and deep pour it. I did use the regular epoxy stuff to seal the edges of the slabs before I poured though. This supposedly helps the epoxy bond to the slab and prevents the slab from releasing too much air during the curing process. No clue if it worked or not since this was my first try and air bubbles definitely escaped from the slabs, but I’m not sure how bad it would have been if I didn’t seal the edges. If you want I can send you the stuff I used, just shoot me a Pm

10-4. It'll be a bit as I've got some bookshelves to build first but I've been wanting to do an epoxy river coffee table for awhile. Looking forward to seeing how this finishes out.

Decker9

WKR
Super cool project and lookin good!! Hard lessons are sometimes the best lessons, they’ll make the next one a breeze! Looking forward to the rest of your build!!

Very cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

I've definitely spent a few hours binging the blacktail dude's videos. He makes some sweet tables and makes it look so easy.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_4491.jpeg

Table update. Got the top of the table completely routered and flattened. Overall it worked pretty well and I think it turned out alright. I flipped the table back over and found a crack. Damnit lol.

IMG_4575.jpeg

The crack is about 10” long and right along the edge of the epoxy/wood. Still haven’t quite figured out what I’m gonna do here. Thinking about just filling the crack with epoxy and seeing if it holds, second option is an epoxy/butterfly combo but I’m not sure how that would do on the epoxy. Anywho, just found the crack today so gonna take a day or two to research and see what the next step should be. To be continued…

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Cracks like that are going to come and go as the wood shrinks and expands due to humidity changes. I'm not sure you can really avoid them in the long run

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
What are you going to finish it with? We have a live edge counter that was finish with a bar top gloss epoxy. The brand was System One or something like that. Looks like Wisebond has a gloss bar top epoxy, self leveling and same brand so shouldn't react adverse with what you have. After it hardens completely, a couple weeks at least, it is very hard and durable. I still am careful with hot things and use coasters. It can also be refinished easily, or wet sanded for a satin finish down the line if it gets abused.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
What are you going to finish it with? We have a live edge counter that was finish with a bar top gloss epoxy. The brand was System One or something like that. Looks like Wisebond has a gloss bar top epoxy, self leveling and same brand so shouldn't react adverse with what you have. After it hardens completely, a couple weeks at least, it is very hard and durable. I still am careful with hot things and use coasters. It can also be refinished easily, or wet sanded for a satin finish down the line if it gets abused.
I picked up this Rubio Monocoat stuff after watching a bunch of pro videos and recommendations. I think I’ll start with that and see how it does

Slim Jim

WKR
Looks good so far. I built one a few years ago. A LOT of hours sanding towards the end. I worked all the way up to 3,000 grit and finished with an Osmo oil rubbed and polished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim Jim

WKR
4ec67c7b54fa49de37ecc98e5b164a9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk