Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

For those that want to use a shot timer but not spend much on one, if you have an android phone you could try the "splits" shot timer app. It has the ability to adjust microphone sensitivity etc. Playing around with it, it seems to function pretty well when clapping loudly or making similar noises. Setting the microphone intensity minimum to 100 prevents it from picking up a clap (as loud as I can right by microphone), so it may work well for shooting.

It's a 30 day free app then it's $5.50. if it works for shooting then it would be a good deal.

I'll test it out this week.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done this hunting drill a few times and find it very challenging. Yesterday I had the range to myself after zeroing some rifles with new scopes so decided to just work on positional shooting. Even with no time/pressure I still really struggle with offhand and sitting unsupported. I’ve read the thread and tried to apply the advice given but still have a massive wobble in these positions. Would love any additional tips from anyone who has found ways to improve these positions.

Targets are below for reference. I was 4/8 offhand, 3/8 sitting unsupported, 4/8 (but almost 7/8) sitting supported and 6/6 prone.

Attachments

• IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8375.jpeg
    IMG_8375.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 36

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done this hunting drill a few times and find it very challenging. Yesterday I had the range to myself after zeroing some rifles with new scopes so decided to just work on positional shooting. Even with no time/pressure I still really struggle with offhand and sitting unsupported. I’ve read the thread and tried to apply the advice given but still have a massive wobble in these positions. Would love any additional tips from anyone who has found ways to improve these positions.

Targets are below for reference. I was 4/8 offhand, 3/8 sitting unsupported, 4/8 (but almost 7/8) sitting supported and 6/6 prone.
I've been trying to improve these positions as well, and honestly for me it just comes down to more rounds down range and making small changes in grip and body position until it clicks...but it definitely is frustrating until you get there

TaperPin

WKR

Offhand wobble definitely gets better with more muscle memory - even dry fire practice. Beyond that, the thing that helped me the most is sometimes called active trigger control - getting your reflexes used to making the trigger break the very moment the crosshairs pass into the circle. It sounds simplistic, but we can become passive in the trigger pull - just wobbling around until the gun randomly goes off. Being more active on the trigger doesn’t reduce your wobble, muscle memory has to do that, but rather it trains reflexes so the gun goes off when it’s moving in a direction that’s more likely to hit within the circle.

One way this is practiced is to have a circle large enough that 8 or 9 out of ten shots can land in the circle - the focus is on the trigger going off as you just barely cross into the circle. As soon as you can get 10/10, then the circle is shrunk slightly and the process repeats. If this is practiced just 20 shots a day, dry fire or live when possible, after a month you’ll notice a difference in how you shoot. Rather than rush onto the target and wobble around in and out, you’ll come in more slowly, but the shot will come off faster, if that makes any sense.

The direction you come into the circle doesn’t matter much - it might be random or from the same direction at this point - whatever you naturally do is fine, but eventually you’ll notice it becomes more natural to come in from one direction - I tend to swing into the target from 7, 8, or 9 o’clock, but I’ve seen the computerized trace of a number of good shooters and they each seem to have a different natural preference.

The trigger control reflexes you gain standing will translate to all the positions.

In fly fishing, it’s similar to watching or feeling a fish take the fly and instinctively setting the hook quickly. Someone just learning has super slow reflexes, but in time it almost seems like the brain has rewired itself to be much much faster.

If you try this method, be sure and let us know how it works out.

I tried the 100-yard drill twice today. It was my first time doing the formal drill with a timer.

By the way, I did test out the splits shooting app and I think it would work for a single position, but it's a bit finicky to get the microphone set up correctly and doesn't work great for multiple positions.

For the drill, I used my factory Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor with 140 match burners at about 2550 fps. The wind was gusting at about 15 mph, so it made holding steady a little harder, but I do just straight up suck.

The most trouble I had was off hand, for some reason, because I typically do pretty well and am not so wobbly. The other trouble I had was timing out on the second shot in positions when removing my backpack as well as getting a stable position sitting down unsupported while wearing my backpack.

I'm going to have to practice getting into these positions and getting stable much more quickly. I'll probably practice this a lot at home with dry firing on an appropriately sized shrink Target

Round one was nine points. Round two was 10 points.

OH - 2, 0, 0
Sit - 0, 1, 0
SitBP - 2, 0, 0
Prn - 2, 2, 0
Total 9

OH - 1, 1,
Sit - 1, 0,
SitBP - 2, 1, 0
Prn - 1, 1, 2
Total 10

1000000986.jpg

Last edited:

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

Maybe try different variations of each position and then compare scores between the variations. Ie offhand traditional vs off hand “tactical” stance, shoot 10 of each on separate target, then compare. Sitting crossed leg right over left vs left over right vs some other variation.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Had some free time this evening and ran the drill. Last time I ran it was probably the first time I had done it while correctly timed. Whopping 4/20, pretty sure that was due to @Formidilosus loaner .223 not being zeroed, damn thing looked like he drags it behind his truck, or maybe it was bc the Rokstok magically increased my skills

Tikka .223 suppressed w SWFA 3-9
1.5 MOA (20 round) hand loads.

13/20.

Off hand was infuriating.
Sitting unsupported shows promise
Sitting supported, hardest to beat timer, but ok. I feel like I can build a reasonably solid position, just takes way longer than time allows, so using a “good enough” position.
Prone wasted a point, no excuse.

Had taped intending to shoot again w different rifle. Ran out of time.

A63879DB-8D9A-4FA7-B6E6-C00462DDBF6D.jpegA0262B7B-BB30-4976-B38F-5CD01F57736C.jpeg

huntnful

WKR
This was very challenging for sure! My heart was actually beating pretty decent as I was trying my best to break good shots 😅. I knew going into it that standing, and seated unsupported would be the hardest, for me personally.

Shot everything with my 6PRC

I hunt with a bipod, so I shot it with a bipod. Which means I also left the bipod on for the standing and seated unsupported positions as well.
IMG_3817.jpeg

Seated supported, I just had the legs extended, nothing in the rear. And yes I just shot it out of the bed of my truck lol
IMG_3819.jpeg

For the prone shots, I didn’t use a rear rest though, just the bipod with my left hand under the toe as the rear support kind of like a faster paced field situation.

First series, untimed. Second shot standing is way high, edge of paper.
IMG_3815.jpeg

20 second timed series. Didn’t have any trouble getting both shots off in 20 seconds, but I had my gun in the ready position before the seated and prone (maybe misunderstood this part). Just had trouble hitting the targets 🤣
IMG_3818.jpeg

For the medley, I was doing fine, even dropping and extending the legs for
Seated supported. But slowed down when I had to collapse the bipod from seated supported, down to prone. That took me over the 1 minute mark. Finished the medley with my prone shot being at 1 minute 12 seconds, with all bullets landing inside their intended targets, which was nice to see still.
IMG_3820.jpeg

Really enjoyed this, and my biggest take away is that standing and seated unsupported should be avoided as often as possible in the field. Which I’ve always tried to do because I’ve never felt confident in it. I think I’ve killed one big game animal standing, and it was a buck at 5 yards. And one buck seated unsupported, which was 100 yards and I was still 5” off from where I was trying to hit on that deer.

For the timed sections I like to start as if I’m walking full Elmer Fudd style, backpack on, rifle slung or in hand like I’m walking to a spot And saw a buck on the next hill.

It makes seating and prone way harder having to drop back etc. especially if you botch the order of events and start to drop pack before your sling.

Nice job dude! Great shooting

huntnful

WKR
For the timed sections I like to start as if I’m walking full Elmer Fudd style, backpack on, rifle slung or in hand like I’m walking to a spot And saw a buck on the next hill.

It makes seating and prone way harder having to drop back etc. especially if you botch the order of events and start to drop pack before your sling.

I like that idea, makes perfect sense!

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
This. This is how it's supposed to be done. Full gear, as if you were hunting and spotted something.

Shooting offhand, with the riflestock butted up against your packs shoulder strap is a new experience for some. (LOP changes.)

Having your bino harness smack you in the face as you drop to your belly and try to use the harness as a rear bag, also is a new experience.

Full kit, as @DangerRanger says. Otherwise you're just cheating yourself.

huntnful

WKR
This. This is how it's supposed to be done. Full gear, as if you were hunting and spotted something.

Shooting offhand, with the riflestock butted up against your packs shoulder strap is a new experience for some. (LOP changes.)

Having your bino harness smack you in the face as you drop to your belly and try to use the harness as a rear bag, also is a new experience.

Full kit, as @DangerRanger says. Otherwise you're just cheating yourself.
I do see what you’re saying. For a new hunter or even a long time hunter that constantly finds himself these scenarios, it’s good to understand what the situation feels like before you’re actually in it, to avoid making some mistakes. And that is very beneficial.

I have killed a decent amount of animals, and creating a total cluster F of panic at the sight of one in the field, does not benefit you, or the animal in regards to your shooting ability in a panicked state.

Of course that’s what this drill is for. To streamline a less panicked approach and find your faults and increase your accuracy under those circumstances.

But killing animals, while remaining calm and moving slowly so as not to cause them to panic is also a realistic scenario. More realistic IMO. Over 40 big game animals and I’ve only needed to get a legit timed shot off, like the shots on this drill, on 1 of them. But that’s my personal hunting style coming into play also.

cfounta1

FNG
This was very challenging for sure! My heart was actually beating pretty decent as I was trying my best to break good shots 😅. I knew going into it that standing, and seated unsupported would be the hardest, for me personally.

Shot everything with my 6PRC

I hunt with a bipod, so I shot it with a bipod. Which means I also left the bipod on for the standing and seated unsupported positions as well.
View attachment 712966

Seated supported, I just had the legs extended, nothing in the rear. And yes I just shot it out of the bed of my truck lol
View attachment 712965

For the prone shots, I didn’t use a rear rest though, just the bipod with my left hand under the toe as the rear support kind of like a faster paced field situation.

First series, untimed. Second shot standing is way high, edge of paper.
View attachment 712967

20 second timed series. Didn’t have any trouble getting both shots off in 20 seconds, but I had my gun in the ready position before the seated and prone (maybe misunderstood this part). Just had trouble hitting the targets 🤣
View attachment 712968

For the medley, I was doing fine, even dropping and extending the legs for
Seated supported. But slowed down when I had to collapse the bipod from seated supported, down to prone. That took me over the 1 minute mark. Finished the medley with my prone shot being at 1 minute 12 seconds, with all bullets landing inside their intended targets, which was nice to see still.
View attachment 712970

Really enjoyed this, and my biggest take away is that standing and seated unsupported should be avoided as often as possible in the field. Which I’ve always tried to do because I’ve never felt confident in it. I think I’ve killed one big game animal standing, and it was a buck at 5 yards. And one buck seated unsupported, which was 100 yards and I was still 5” off from where I was trying to hit on that deer.
What bipod is that? @huntnful

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with working your way into it personally. You’re learning still and there’s room to increase difficulty as you get an understanding of what you’re trying to do and why.

But I would say if you don’t eventually go full difficulty you’re missing out on some learning.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with working your way into it personally. You’re learning still and there’s room to increase difficulty as you get an understanding of what you’re trying to do and why.

But I would say if you don’t eventually go full difficulty you’re missing out on some learning.

This is correct. The drill is shot/measured with full gear/pack on, and rifle carried how you actually do while hunting- if that means strapped to the pack, then it’s started every string strapped to the pack. As an example.

Nevwild

FNG
Classified Approved
First attempt.
11/20 if you’re being generous.
10/20 if you don’t count the one on the edge with the question mark. What is the consensus? Does breaking the outer edge of the line count?
IMG_4282.jpeg

I realized I just needed reps. I wanted to dry fire practice at home. So I went to this site and calculated that at 11 feet 1 moa is about 1 mm.

IMG_4283.png

I then used my calipers and a pen to make the appropriate sized circles on a sticky note.

IMG_4279.jpeg

I put the sticky note on a whiteboard, and have been going through the full set of strings (dry fire) at 11 feet away.

IMG_4284.jpeg

I’ve run the dry fire drill multiple times in my basement wearing my full hunting setup. The reticle is a bit blurry this close, but it’s precise enough to tell if I’m on target when the trigger breaks and the dry fire happens. I’m getting more and more comfortable and consistent. I have encountered a few malfunctions in my system that I now know how to prevent and handle in the event that they occur in the field. Planning on doing this drill daily.

Will report the results of my next live fire drill next week sometime.

bbell

WKR
First attempt.
11/20 if you’re being generous.
10/20 if you don’t count the one on the edge with the question mark. What is the consensus? Does breaking the outer edge of the line count?
View attachment 713087

I realized I just needed reps. I wanted to dry fire practice at home. So I went to this site and calculated that at 11 feet 1 moa is about 1 mm.

View attachment 713100

I then used my calipers and a pen to make the appropriate sized circles on a sticky note.

View attachment 713101

I put the sticky note on a whiteboard, and have been going through the full set of strings (dry fire) at 11 feet away.

View attachment 713102

I’ve run the dry fire drill multiple times in my basement wearing my full hunting setup. The reticle is a bit blurry this close, but it’s precise enough to tell if I’m on target when the trigger breaks and the dry fire happens. I’m getting more and more comfortable and consistent. I have encountered a few malfunctions in my system that I now know how to prevent and handle in the event that they occur in the field. Planning on doing this drill daily.

Will report the results of my next live fire drill next week sometime.
That’s pretty creative! Good work!

TX_Diver

WKR
Did this (sort of) today while checking velocity across a 6.5 ladder. Based on a 3 shot zero as I only had limited rounds to shoot (not that zero was my problem here, my problem is just needing to practice more).

Made it through the first 8 and then started going back through the first round 1 shot at a time again because I sucked so bad...

Round 2 I was standing leaning against a tree also which isn't the true intent of this. Found pressure after the 2nd seated supported shot and stopped. I timed the 2 prone shots the first time and was at 30 seconds and 21 seconds to break the shot each time. That needs to improve along with everything else.

PG7vNdI.jpg

Over 40 big game animals and I’ve only needed to get a legit timed shot off, like the shots on this drill, on 1 of them.
It’s funny how they randomly present themselves, and in situations you might not expect.

When I’m hunting mountain whitetail I expect it. But one year I shot a buck offhand at at 80-90 yards and had absolutely all day to shoot. I just couldn’t do anything positionally because of vegetation. Another year I shot a buck, prone, and had about five seconds to make it happen.

Most of my elk shots have been pretty low key time wise, but last years bull was another situation where I had a matter of seconds to build a position and get the shot off.

Seated and shooting over a pack is one of my favorite field positions for the steep country I hunt. It’s good to 400+ for me.