Even The Wall Street Journal is Covering Elk Shed Hunting!

This is either really cool, kind of crazy or both. Shed hunting must be at peak level of craziness/popularity now that even a financial newspaper, The Wall Street Journal, is publishing an article in today's paper.

Also kudos to those featured in the article. It's a fun read and my guess is that some of the people in the article might be fellow Roksliders! Let us know!

Hopefully the link below works... it's supposed to be a "free" link to share from my paid WSJ subscription.

Interesting article. I know it's really gaining in popularity but I didn't realize there were places in the West where you have to pre-register and then be led in via police motorcade with comparisons to black Friday. No thanks.

Shed hunting is clearly headed down a path of further restrictions and another fun outdoor activity is being completely ruined due to greed and popularity. Having never sold a shed antler I now have a bit of disdain for that market. Enclosed trailers with "We Buy Antlers" signs post up in western towns prior to the shed antler seasons giving people even more incentive to ignore season dates and property boundaries. Those of us who just like antlers as yard decore and enjoy searching for them purely as a fun spring outdoor activity are being displaced by people who just see antlers as dollar bills now.

Was in well before the craze and through decades have sold about 10k worth. These days only sell the trashy ones🤣 Odin is the gate keeper and keeps secrets very well and lives for antlers 😍 I’ve trained him to be literally crazy for them. That was a funny line people getting sick and bent over from not being in shape🤣 where we go if you’re not in shape you may never make it out. Due to shed hunting this spring I know of two 365 and a 340 bulls in otc country. Gives me a little head start on scouting💯 Funny thing in the gym today and an 80 yr old man I see walking Odin says hey you see that shed hunting story in the Wall Street Journal🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5544.jpeg
    IMG_5544.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5055.jpeg
    IMG_5055.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Was in well before the craze and through decades have sold about 10k worth. These days only sell the trashy ones🤣 Odin is the gate keeper and keeps secrets very well and lives for antlers 😍 I’ve trained him to be literally crazy for them. That was a funny line people getting sick and bent over from not being in shape🤣 where we go if you’re not in shape you may never make it out. Due to shed hunting this spring I know of two 365 and a 340 bulls in otc country. Gives me a little head start on scouting💯 Funny thing in the gym today and an 80 yr old man I see walking Odin says hey you see that shed hunting story in the Wall Street Journal🤣
Pretty pup! I agree! Good head start on scouting. It’s practice for hunting season!

Horn hunting is a big deal these days. There is enough money and bragging rights that people are trespassing and going before season to pick up antlers.

Yet another tragedy of the commons at play that will end up in more regulations.

Seems we have yet to get out of the constant boom and bust cycles that seem to drive our economies - local or otherwise.

Interesting article. I know it's really gaining in popularity but I didn't realize there were places in the West where you have to pre-register and then be led in via police motorcade with comparisons to black Friday. No thanks.

Shed hunting is clearly headed down a path of further restrictions and another fun outdoor activity is being completely ruined due to greed and popularity. Having never sold a shed antler I now have a bit of disdain for that market. Enclosed trailers with "We Buy Antlers" signs post up in western towns prior to the shed antler seasons giving people even more incentive to ignore season dates and property boundaries. Those of us who just like antlers as yard decore and enjoy searching for them purely as a fun spring outdoor activity are being displaced by people who just see antlers as dollar bills now.
All the problems and increased regulation would disappear over night if they weren’t allowed to be sold. I would donate to an organization that started publicly pushing that. I think it’d be better for the people that actually enjoy it, better for the animals, and better for public lands.

All the problems and increased regulation would disappear over night if they weren’t allowed to be sold. I would donate to an organization that started publicly pushing that. I think it’d be better for the people that actually enjoy it, better for the animals, and better for public lands.
Wholeheartedly agree. Not that I want to see more regulation in place but I would much rather have the sale of sheds be prohibited than an outright ban on shed collecting altogether.

I think its been a bigger deal for decades than most of you guys realize. Guys were sneaking into the park years ago. There’s at least one missing persons case in The Absarokas that likely came down to a beef between pickers.
If you truly wanted to crash the market, banning antler dog chews would have a pretty significant impact.

Last edited:
I think it been a bigger deal for decades than most of you guys realize. Guys were sneaking into the park years ago. There’s at least one missing persons case in The Absarokas that likely came down to a beef between pickers.
If you truly wanted to crash the market, banning antler dog chews would have a pretty significant impact.
My vet recently told me not to give them to my dogs because they are too hard and they can break a tooth. I had never really thought much of it but on my second lab with my old one having somewhat worn teeth I'm planning to follow the advice for the most part.

I dont really mess with sheds anymore, it is too crowded, too many people cheating by going early, and by the time the season opens it is starting to get too hot to take my dogs on big hikes in winter range. I found one big brown matched elk set a few years ago and that satisfied me for a while. I can make more money at the office without disturbing wildlife.

I was blown away when I discovered the shed market. I was under the impression it was something that was done for fun. It’s sad that everything outdoors these days gets monetized to the extreme and the ones doing it for the love of the game get pushed out. And maybe it always has and some of us were naive to it. I just remember it being cool as a kid to get invited to go with Dad and my uncle and walk through the woods and try to find a shed. It felt like you were getting one step closer to getting to go on the actual hunt. Nowadays in some areas kids will never get that chance probably.

Used to enjoy getting out and hiking around with the dog and maybe find an antler or 2,......now I just go hike with dog.
Too many idiot social media clowns on the landscape anymore.

I was blown away when I discovered the shed market. I was under the impression it was something that was done for fun. It’s sad that everything outdoors these days gets monetized to the extreme and the ones doing it for the love of the game get pushed out. And maybe it always has and some of us were naive to it. I just remember it being cool as a kid to get invited to go with Dad and my uncle and walk through the woods and try to find a shed. It felt like you were getting one step closer to getting to go on the actual hunt. Nowadays in some areas kids will never get that chance probably.
Several years back they started this with deer hunting. Like a bass tournament. Land owners would allow a hunter to hunt on his property and whoever got the biggest buck won. I am really glad that didn't take off. Not quite the same but a competition with prize money involved.

Back