Ever Used Your Sidearm While Hunting?

Cfriend

FNG
As the title states, I'm wondering how many have actually needed to use your sidearm for bear (or anything else) protection while hunting. I am guessing it is very rare that one is needed, but obviously one of those "better to have and not need it" situations.

Would love to hear the stories and advice if you have.

Might be archery hunting in Montana this fall so have been thinking about whether to carry and how best to train if I do.

Dented

WKR
Snakes and a finishing shot on a pig.

I've used one in camp when a guy in the area wouldn't stop bothering my girlfriend in the middle of the night.

I had to draw mine on a black bear that was bluff charging and snapping his jaw. We couldn’t see him because of the thick timber but could hear him. I didn’t have to pull the trigger but I was ready. We new that it could occur because the area we were in was covered in bear scat. So I had it on my mind as we were walking through the timber.

jpmulk

WKR
Pulled mine on a griz bluff charge. He stopped before i pulled the trigger.

Overdrive

WKR
Might be archery hunting in Montana this fall so have been thinking about whether to carry and how best to train if I do.
I've seen some training videos with guys setting up ropes and pullies to simulate a charging bear.

I've drawn my pistol on a black bear and a mountain lion, but didn't feel I needed to shoot either as they backed off. Took pictures of the Mtn lion but the bear was in the dark.

WKR
Not for protection. I did shoot a whitetail buck one-handed with my sidearm when he showed up 10 yards behind the rock I was sitting on. I couldn't risk the movement required to stand up, turn around, and get my rifle on him.

Maki35

WKR
Check your local hunting rules. Some States do not allow carrying a handgun during archery season.

Last edited:

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve pulled mine on a black bear but never shot. It’s also nice to have next to me in the tent. I’ve had multiple encounters with critters in the middle of the night checking me out.

Repeatedly. Downed Texas Pigs (15+). Texas Snakes (3+) . Have had to draw repeatedly for 2 legged issues w in Tucson & NM & TX. Bears in Wyo/Co/NM all of those have been more watch & wait just to see what they were going to do. Only one got aggressive but did not require shooting.
1. Most people cannot shoot a pistol to save their life. Paper on a range is one thing...drawing from holster under stress is completely different.
2. Go shoot some type of pistol match...people fall apart at the buzzer. Figure out how you actually perform. That is only a fraction of the stress when you have something running at you. I took my kids to a match this weekend to humble them again. It is absolutely humbling if you have not done it before.
3. Go look at your setup for that match...is it something you could use for hunting. (You cannot at most ranges run a chest rig for a match, OWB does it work with your backpack )
4. Can you carry that with a backpack...does it stay on you at all times.
5. Range practice...draw from your holster...three shots....reholster. Rinse & repeat
6. Dry fire practice lots of it
7. Is your holster setup secured for brush & other nonsense clawing at it.
8. Are you the type of person who is going to get up and hike in before daylight and leave late ... do you need a light?

Issues I have seen w/ people showing up w/ handguns & hunting...
FINGER IN THE TRIGGER WHILE DRAWING
NOT CHECKING FOR CLOTHING BEFORE REINSERTING INTO HOLSTER
1. Revolvers...they have never practiced firing through double action.
2. Holsters on belts that are too damned flexible
3. Poor quality holsters - cloth & snap type holsters getting stuff stuck in there and or lack of retention.
4. Footwork / body position...I've got access to shooting bays so just getting someone out there and flipping target on their far right or left....totally throws them on repositioning body

Hope this helps.

Taudisio

WKR
Used mine for finishing dads deer once. My ears rang more than when the rifle went off. I’ve only used a knife since then.

Had a black bear come into us working up an elk in the dark. My buddy saw him in his headlamp. He wasn't that close, maybe 30 yards, but close enough to know he knew we were there and decided to come in anyway. Discharged one round from my 9mm in the ground to discourage him.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting around the fire at camp and we noticed eyes moving toward us. Made some noise and they continued coming in. Drew our guns and got lights on the eyes only to figure out that it was 3 dopey mule deer bucks that had been hanging around for a few days. Had a good laugh once our heart rates came back down.