Everyone is worried about internet forums…but what about them magazines?

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Huntin’ fool had an article, a while back, about my backyard unit. It has sky rocketed in points ever since. Sucks!!

mt100gr.

WKR
Anything that draws traffic to an area will eventually ruin a spot.

I used to hunt an area with an all but abandoned trail system. Next to zero other hunters and very few recreational users. The elk weren't shy at all. Once in a while we'd see a mountain bike, which seemed odd at the time.

Out of the blue, this no-name area was featured in a mtn biking magazine. We'd wear ourselves out dragging logs into the trails at every opportunity! Apparently every f'n mountain biker knows an archery hunter!

The days of calling bulls thru the parking area are long gone.....it soured me on Subarus forever.

Will_m

WKR
There were a couple of nwr’s in the SE that had some great deer hunting. They were absolutely ruined by a couple of magazines publishing stories and pictures of big deer killed on both.

Now, no joke, I had somebody walk up on me while I was putting my climber on the tree and he told me his stand was 20 yards away and he would just look one way while I looked the other.

Totally unreal at the amount of crowding.

intunegp

WKR
Hey man, IMO, that maybe applies with the OL and F&S type but not the research mags.

They are hotspot (as in unit) specific and they cater to a big traveling crowd.

I've watched units for years get blown up in the mags with a direct blow up on the ground (and the draw odds).

I guess I didn't realize people were buying print magazines for unit-specific research or even how specific some of these magazines are. I grew up with OL, F&S, a bunch of the NRA publications and the likes in everyone's bathroom but I was really the first in my family to want to do more than sit in a tree stand in Georgia. I lucked into being invited with a group that knew their unit very well and everything else from there has been learned through experience and scouting.

It makes sense, but as someone that's had a smart phone since high school I can't imagine my generation and beyond of grip-n-grin, do it for the 'gram hunters are still out buying these magazines. Hopefully they'll fade away and become irrelevant. Now if we could just get people to stop blowing spots up online! I guess it's just today's equivalent.

KurtR

WKR
Hi all,

What are "flat brimmer's"??
blaze_2.jpg

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
The best way to combat this is to muddy the waters. Time to write some unbelievably exciting articles that send people to the most empty units in the state.

chasewild

WKR
Yep like posting a picture of a 200"+ deer with one of the most iconic Colorado mtn peaks in the background.
Duplan, long, guy, brownlee, latturner, trietch, snyder, holden, lampers are the ones that I personally know have burned CO spots with a single pic, video, podcast, etc. There are other, less notable, wannabe influencers out there that then coat tailed with help from the above.

TheTone

WKR
I remember as a kid reading in Petersons hunting about Colorado starting its point system and that people would be drawing their top units every 4-5 years and how great that was and now the truth is people are sitting on two decades of points without an end in sight. The magazines have always been paid to promote stuff and it’s really no issue for them. They will always have guided hunts, private land and landowner tags to fall back on for content while the normal guy waits for his place in line

OP
Gun&BowSD

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Hell, more pressure on public probably makes for better private land paid hunts. We mere DIY peasants get the scraps

Mtndawger

FNG
20 years ago My duck hunting spot got outed by a hunting and fishing newspaper. Hasn’t been the same since. I still hunt it but use a different strategy. Plus I have my kids hunting now so it’s a different game. I even got a nasty note on my windshield 2 years ago from a so called former guide about ethics. Public water but he wanted to claim all the flying birds for himself. First time I had ever seen him there. I understand the impulse to share your stories with other hunters but it’s best to keep locations to yourself. Finding your spots is part of the endeavor and the fun. Learning how to hunt them as well. Some of the pressure would be relieved if everyone had to find their own spots. CPW sends everyone up to NW Colorado hunt the “largest herds in the nation”. there is a lot of land here but crowding is inevitable since access is a big problem.