Evolution Outdoors Jekyll & Hyde

I have been shooting SEVR broadheads for 2 years now , with great results for the most part . However this year after two back to back experiences I decided to change. ( I'll detail these experiences later in this write up ).

I want to preface this by saying I have only just received these Evolution Outdoors heads and these are my initial thoughts and initial testing on the head . There will be more detailed information this spring when I get the chance to really shoot them and play around with them . ( also I have generally been a fixed blade guy ,up until the last few years dabbling in a mixture of both mechanical and fixed )

First, I want to talk about the SEVR . They are phenomenal heads , I've shot the 1.5, 1.75. And the 2.0 and harvested animals with all 3 . If I had to pick one of them out of all 3 sizes it would be the 1.5 hands down. However they are all good. My main concern with the SEVR is the one dimensional cut. You either get a horizontal or vertical cut or some variation of that. Which is fine for the most part. However I have found if you get a vertical entrance and exit the blood tends to be worse then a horizontal variation. Which makes sense as the skin can close up easier as the animal is running. None the less if I did my job all animals doed within 50 yards. But more often then not the blood trail was meh. Which I already struggle to track blood . ( most of these blood issues I've had have been from this 2023 season, I also has 1 - 2.0 fail to lock open, it still opened just never got to full lock , and did kill the animal quickly )

Secondly, replacing the blades on a SEVR while it is a very straight forward and rather simple process it is super annoying and frustrating to get that little bent washer in and lined up , after you do it a few times you get used to it but it's still annoying . On the flip side of that coin the ferrule on a SEVR is bar none one of my favorites , I've purposely hit super hard object just to find that the ferrule still spins true and is straight . Last year I shot the same ferrule through all 13 of my animals and this included 9 different bones of varying thicknesses and locations. That ferrule is still spinning true and flies great.

Third, the price point . There's plenty of heads on the market today , some are spendy , some are cheap , some lay in the middle . All of them will get the job done for the most part , and all of them can and will fail at some point regardless if you shoot mechanical or fixed. However the sevr price point falls into a nice happy medium of not to expensive but not dirt cheap . And the replacement blades follow in suit . I tend to like price points in this range due to if I do lose one or break one it doesn't hurt near as bad as something in a higher price point.

Overall, SEVR is a great option and I would still recommend them to someone interested.

Evolution Outdoors Jeykll and Hyde system caught my attention this year. Dale Perry over at Evolution is super knowledgeable and has done extensive testing on these heads . For starters his heads are 100% made in America, and offered in 3 weights ( in the screw in version and glue in version ) and touts that the Hyde is guaranteed to open. Also the ferrule is modular between the fixed blade and mechanical variations. I love this aspect.

First, the leading edge on both the fixed and hybrid versions if this head is 3/4" , with the main blade being 1" on the fixed variation , and 2" on the hybrid version. ( he also offers some wider ones if that's your thing ).

Now normally I'm not a huge fan of a over the top deploying head vs a rear deploying head for the simple fact that they typically have a smaller entry hole. However, with the Hyde the exposed part of the mechanical blades are sharpened (and yes they are very sharp ) so let's say that something went catastrophically wrong and the head just didn't open at all , that head would still give you a total of 1 1/8th cutting surface ( the same as the slick trick standard , cut throat 3 blade , etc etc ) now I wouldn't expect that to happen as throughout dales testing and after speaking to many many many people that also shoot the Hyde they have NEVER had one not open properly. But if it didn't it's still going to cut . And when it does open your at a 2 3/4" cut diameter. Pretty sweet and kinda fool proof . And with that leading edge you really open up that hole and theoretically should get more consistent blood trails. These hybrid version is also very easy to get in and out of a foam insert in your quiver hood .

Now onto the fixed version , being that this head is modular you can swap from fixed to mechanical on the ferrule in the matter of a min or so . The fixed blades are both .06 thick ( main blade and leading blade ) which is fairly stout compared to other on the market compared to the Hyde which is .060 leading blade and then two .030 blades for the mechanical , also rather stout for a broadhead of these design . Aswell the fixed design is pretty compact for the cutting surface you get out of this head at 1 3/4" .

Second thing with the evolution I wanna talk about is flight. Man do these things fly good. My bow is properly tuned and I can typically screw any head I want on and group out to 80 yards . But these heads fly phenomenal right out the gate with no adjustments necessary.

Third let's talk about the few things that might be a hindrance to you or a frustration point. On the hybrid style head the retention system is a little plastic / polymer pin that is inserted into the ferrule and the system works incredibly , however getting the pin out can be a challenge after it has been marred from opening the blades on the shot. But if you have ever changed blades on a SEVR it's really not any more time consuming then that in my opinion .

Secondly , you don't want to over tighten the set screw that holds the mechanical blades in either as this makes them harder to open , just hand snug will do . I don't know about you guys but I tend to like to really lock stuff down, don't do that. They come out of the case ready to hunt as long as you don't go opening the blades a ton of times. I would certainly recommend replacing the pin after each harvest . I also tend to carry a allen set with me so it's easy to close the blades back up once you find your arrow and lock that set screw in tight and shove it back in your quiver in a matter of seconds.

Lastly, the over the top design is inherently known for deflecting on a hard quartering shot . In my opinion this head kinda defeats that deflection based on how the blades open and it should be a non issue , also on a shot that is hard quartering and a shot I'm going to take the animal is probably sub 40 yards and I'll be using a fixed blade anyway in that situation.

Over all initial thoughts is that the modularity of this head is going to be a game changer for my set up as I like to carry both fixed and mechanicals in the field , and with the very limited effort it takes to tune the fixed blades it's a real winner in my book . I'll have more information on this head as I lay down some animals with it in the 2024 season.

I have attached some photos to see the evolution heads in both forms. ( not all of these photos are mine )

Attachments

• 1000008700-01.jpeg
    1000008700-01.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 93
  • FB_IMG_1701402309507.jpg
    FB_IMG_1701402309507.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 91
  • FB_IMG_1701402352676.jpg
    FB_IMG_1701402352676.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 91
  • FB_IMG_1701402361958.jpg
    FB_IMG_1701402361958.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 93

TravisIN

WKR
Jekylls are by far the most forgiving fixed head I’ve ever shot and I’ve shot about everything. Really good heads. For a while I went with jekylls and Hyde’s in the quiver but now I go sevrs and Jekylls. Hyde’s have killed plenty for me but prefer rear deploying vs over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
Jekylls are by far the most forgiving fixed head I’ve ever shot and I’ve shot about everything. Really good heads. For a while I went with jekylls and Hyde’s in the quiver but now I go sevrs and Jekylls. Hyde’s have killed plenty for me but prefer rear deploying vs over the top.

I'm not a fan of the sevr . Had to many issues with them over the years. The Hyde however while it may be a over the top it opens differently then most over the top heads in the fact that it is cutting the entire way. Or in the instance of it not opening it will still have a 1 1/8th cutting. Unlike when I shot a 170" mulie with my sevr this year and it failed to open completely abd just bounced off the rib . With a 500 grain arrow and 270fps. But that's the only time I've ever had that happen in the 2 years and 45 animals I've killed with them . So coulda been a isolated instance but still salty about it on a deer of that caliber.

TravisIN

WKR
I'm not a fan of the sevr . Had to many issues with them over the years. The Hyde however while it may be a over the top it opens differently then most over the top heads in the fact that it is cutting the entire way. Or in the instance of it not opening it will still have a 1 1/8th cutting. Unlike when I shot a 170" mulie with my sevr this year and it failed to open completely abd just bounced off the rib . With a 500 grain arrow and 270fps. But that's the only time I've ever had that happen in the 2 years and 45 animals I've killed with them . So coulda been a isolated instance but still salty about it on a deer of that caliber.

Haha Oh I get it. I think the evolution heads are WAY underrated.

I’d love to see the chisel point come back. Something like the Grim Reaper Pro would be amazing.

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
There aren’t many reviews on the Evolution broaheads, especially the hybrid Hyde version. I come to the table with the unique perspective of not only having one of these heads rammed into my leg, but also being able to see how the same head performed on game…You read that right 😂

I decided to try out the Hyde broadheads this fall. Like most, I have used many broaheads: Sevr 2.0, 2.1, 1.5, several different grim reaper heads, iron will, Exodus etc. to list a few. I ordered six of the hybrid Hyde broadheads. The Evolution practice tip grouped well out to 80 yds alongside my field points as expected. My first experience in the field with this head was when I accompanied my brother on an elk hunt. I wasn’t hunting and was only there to call and help him, so I gave him a couple of the Hyde heads to try out. We were on a bull and some cows, coyoting them along a mountainside. We were trying to get around them to cut them off at a saddle they were heading towards. I’m still not exactly sure how the next series of events transpired, but I have a sneaking suspicion my brother was on his phone, walking on auto pilot, not paying any mind to his surroundings. He had an arrow nocked and at some point he tripped, falling forward, driving the Hyde broadhead into my calf in the process. Long story short, that ended the hunt. We had to hike out and drive to the nearest town to get my leg stitched up. I have read comments from people concerned about the sharpness of these heads…trust me, they are plenty sharp.

A couple weeks later I was able to take a bear with great results using the same head my brother had ran into my leg. The shot was at a steep angle with the bear quartering towards me. The arrow entered to the right of its back bone and opened upon impact, with the left blade severing his spine. It continued through his lungs, liver, diaphragm and guts. It then exited his stomach and went through his ham before burying into the ground. The fixed cut on contact blade showed little sign of damage. The expandable blades didn’t break, but they were bent and will need to be replaced. I don’t know how much of the damage was done from the blades contacting bone vs the ground. Unfortunately, I ended up needing to have neck surgery and wasn’t able to do anymore hunting this fall or winter, so my experience with the head is limited, but I was pleased with the results and plan on using it next year.

Attachments

• IMG_8824.jpeg
    IMG_8824.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8823.jpeg
    IMG_8823.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8822.jpeg
    IMG_8822.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 71812270646__63C8AF02-A7E6-4471-8CCA-88FF3088DCBC.jpeg
    71812270646__63C8AF02-A7E6-4471-8CCA-88FF3088DCBC.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8200.jpeg
    IMG_8200.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8105.jpeg
    IMG_8105.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8827.png
    IMG_8827.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
Was that Sevr new or one that you had already put through another animal? If not new, is there a possibility it was damaged from a previous hunt, preventing it from deploying as it should?

MattB

WKR
Vortex has sharpened blade tips and IMO a more reliable blade deployment mechanism. No fixed blade however.

AkRyan

WKR
Only problem I've seen come up with these is the blade strength everything else has been stellar

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
Was that Sevr new or one that you had already put through another animal? If not new, is there a possibility it was damaged from a previous hunt, preventing it from deploying as it should?
no all of the issues i had with sevr were with new heads , all my heads are tested and retested every year and blades replaced. i dont know what caused the issues other then the issues i already mentioned above and my suspected reasoning behind it.

TheViking

WKR
I really want to like these heads, but my brain won’t let me get over how stiff they are to open up by hand. I’ve been looking all over the internet and from some of the wound channels I have seen, it doesn’t look they open all the way until exit. If you look at a standard 2 blade mechanical wound channel, it’s a nasty gash all the way through. Yes, I understand that these are over the top and don’t open until inside. But I’ve seen pics of lungs hit by these heads and the holes are relatively small. I played with the top screw and figured out that it does actually hold tension on the blades, not just hold them in place. So if you screw it in as light as possible until it stops, they open much easier (without pin), if you even turn it a 1/16 turn more, you can feel the difference in tension while trying to open them. When they’re tensioned more the blades don’t wiggle much, but when you turn the screw to just stop (making it open easier) the blades would be fairly loose in flight.
Everyone seems to really like these heads and I want to as well, but there does seem to be some maintenance and a lot of playing around with them. Also the would channel pics I have seen concern me a little with how fast and how much the blades actually open on initial impact.

Have killed well over 30 deer and hogs with these heads. Entrance wounds are not full diameter but they are far more than the closed cutting diameter. Typically full diameter all the way through the vitals. Have never had a deflection and have never broken or lost a blade in game. As a comparison have had Sevr’s deflect along a rib and the blades close and stay shut after opening on entrance and then close going through a rib.

TheViking

WKR
Have killed well over 30 deer and hogs with these heads. Entrance wounds are not full diameter but they are far more than the closed cutting diameter. Typically full diameter all the way through the vitals. Have never had a deflection and have never broken or lost a blade in game. As a comparison have had Sevr’s deflect along a rib and the blades close and stay shut after opening on entrance and then close going through a rib.

Zero issues on opening up?

There aren’t many reviews on the Evolution broaheads, especially the hybrid Hyde version. I come to the table with the unique perspective of not only having one of these heads rammed into my leg, but also being able to see how the same head performed on game…You read that right 😂

I decided to try out the Hyde broadheads this fall. Like most, I have used many broaheads: Sevr 2.0, 2.1, 1.5, several different grim reaper heads, iron will, Exodus etc. to list a few. I ordered six of the hybrid Hyde broadheads. The Evolution practice tip grouped well out to 80 yds alongside my field points as expected. My first experience in the field with this head was when I accompanied my brother on an elk hunt. I wasn’t hunting and was only there to call and help him, so I gave him a couple of the Hyde heads to try out. We were on a bull and some cows, coyoting them along a mountainside. We were trying to get around them to cut them off at a saddle they were heading towards. I’m still not exactly sure how the next series of events transpired, but I have a sneaking suspicion my brother was on his phone, walking on auto pilot, not paying any mind to his surroundings. He had an arrow nocked and at some point he tripped, falling forward, driving the Hyde broadhead into my calf in the process. Long story short, that ended the hunt. We had to hike out and drive to the nearest town to get my leg stitched up. I have read comments from people concerned about the sharpness of these heads…trust me, they are plenty sharp.

A couple weeks later I was able to take a bear with great results using the same head my brother had ran into my leg. The shot was at a steep angle with the bear quartering towards me. The arrow entered to the right of its back bone and opened upon impact, with the left blade severing his spine. It continued through his lungs, liver, diaphragm and guts. It then exited his stomach and went through his ham before burying into the ground. The fixed cut on contact blade showed little sign of damage. The expandable blades didn’t break, but they were bent and will need to be replaced. I don’t know how much of the damage was done from the blades contacting bone vs the ground. Unfortunately, I ended up needing to have neck surgery and wasn’t able to do anymore hunting this fall or winter, so my experience with the head is limited, but I was pleased with the results and plan on using it next year.
Head looked like it got the job done. Are the deployable blades replaceable? If not they look bent beyond use and would be a one and done head.

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Head looked like it got the job done. Are the deployable blades replaceable? If not they look bent beyond use and would be a one and done head.
They are replaceable. I don’t know if it’s truly by design, but the owner of the company claims the blades are made to bend to keep them from breaking. Dale Perry, the owner of Evolution broadheads talks about the design on this podcast. There’s obviously a lot of marketing going on, but it does supply good information to hear if you’re interested in trying them. Lusk archery also did a good review on them. I’ll share links to both.

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I really want to like these heads, but my brain won’t let me get over how stiff they are to open up by hand. I’ve been looking all over the internet and from some of the wound channels I have seen, it doesn’t look they open all the way until exit. If you look at a standard 2 blade mechanical wound channel, it’s a nasty gash all the way through. Yes, I understand that these are over the top and don’t open until inside. But I’ve seen pics of lungs hit by these heads and the holes are relatively small. I played with the top screw and figured out that it does actually hold tension on the blades, not just hold them in place. So if you screw it in as light as possible until it stops, they open much easier (without pin), if you even turn it a 1/16 turn more, you can feel the difference in tension while trying to open them. When they’re tensioned more the blades don’t wiggle much, but when you turn the screw to just stop (making it open easier) the blades would be fairly loose in flight.
Everyone seems to really like these heads and I want to as well, but there does seem to be some maintenance and a lot of playing around with them. Also the would channel pics I have seen concern me a little with how fast and how much the blades actually open on initial impact.
I spot and stalked this Arkansas River buck in Oklahoma and used the Hyde broadhead. I didn’t take pictures of the wound channel, but I can tell you after seeing what it did to a bear and this deer, the blade does wreak havoc on the insides. I shot the buck at 36 yds quartering towards me. The first pic shows the entry wound. The arrow went through his body and exited through his hip. Unfortunately, I never found the arrow. He went about 30 yds and crashed. I do have a high kinetic energy setup, but the penetration so far has been impressive. I also shot a jack rabbit with this broadhead and it opened upon impact. I’ll include a pic of the entry wound on that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8479.jpeg
    IMG_8479.jpeg
    552.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8483.jpeg
    IMG_8483.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 45

TheViking

WKR
I spot and stalked this Arkansas River buck in Oklahoma and used the Hyde broadhead. I didn’t take pictures of the wound channel, but I can tell you after seeing what it did to a bear and this deer, the blade does wreak havoc on the insides. I shot the buck at 36 yds quartering towards me. The first pic shows the entry wound. The arrow went through his body and exited through his hip. Unfortunately, I never found the arrow. He went about 30 yds and crashed. I do have a high kinetic energy setup, but the penetration so far has been impressive. I also shot a jack rabbit with this broadhead and it opened upon impact. I’ll include a pic of the entry wound on that as well.

Thanks for the feedback!