Exo 5500 or 3500

I’m in the market for my first “big” hunting pack for my first diy backcountry elk hunt in CO in September. I’m used to an ultra light 50 liter pack for backpacking and have a badlands 2200 for deep whitetail hunts but need a pack that can handle hauling my gear and hopefully elk quarters for a 7 day off grid hunt. I have an ultralight mentality from backpacking and all my gear including bow and optics comes in at around 26 lb not including pack, food, or water. Figuring about 10 lbs of food for 7 days. Does anyone have experience with both the 3500 and 5500? Will the 35 be too tight or limiting? I’m leaning toward the 55 for flexibility if I ever do longer hunts or cold weather but don’t like having “more” of anything than necessary. Also open to suggestions on similar packs or offers if someone has one for sale. Thanks

K

Kootenay Hunter

Well, the Exo site says the 3500 is good for 5 days, so sounds like 5500 is your best bet if you're going 7 days plus.

Bag weight is only 0.4 lbs heavier, but you get 6800 cu in vs 4200 for the 3500.

I've heard both pack up decently for use as a large/heavier day pack too. Same frame anyways

I say 5500. I use the exo 5500 for everything. Couple hr hike to multiple overnight. I have the 2000 as well but never switch out. The way the big one compresses and minimal weight I feel like its a do all pack

twall13

WKR
I've owned both, originally a 3500, which I sold and now use a 5500 and a 2000. If you truly are ultralight you'd be fine with the 3500, even for 7 days. I think the max I could get out of a 3500 is pretty close to the 5 days Exo claims but I'm not ultralight either. That said, you could always bring a dry bag and pack the extra food between the bag and frame if it doesn't all fit for 7 days. I just found that I was using the load shelf more and more on trips so it was easier for me to go with the extra space of the 5500 for what I was doing. Mix in the 2000 for day hunts and I feel like I'm set.

As most guys will tell you, there isn't much weight difference between the 5500 and 3500 and in daypack mode you likely won't be able to tell the difference as they both compress down extremely well. From what you've described I think you would be fine with the 3500 but I also don't think you'd feel like you are overbagged with the 5500. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jbehredt

WKR
I say 5500. I use the exo 5500 for everything. Couple hr hike to multiple overnight. I have the 2000 as well but never switch out. The way the big one compresses and minimal weight I feel like its a do all pack

I’m with OSU on this one. 5500 is my do it all now. Bought the 2000 first as a daypack that could haul meat but it just sits now.

Flogger

FNG
You would likely be fine with the 3500. However, the 5500 will pack down to nearly the same size when running a day hunt load. In my mind, going with the 5500 gives you more room on the top end of the spectrum and packs down to nearly the same size on the bottom end of the spectrum. For those reasons, I’d suggest the 5500.
I currently have the 2000 and 3500 and I’m going to probably give the 3500 bag to a hunting buddy and get the new 5500 bag when it comes out in a couple months.

philcox

WKR
I'll be getting the 3500 once the 2019 packs are out. From what I can tell, that will suit anything up to a 5 day. If I was planning on 7+, I'd go with the 5500.

87TT

WKR
I think 10 lbs of food is going to last me 7 days of hard hunting. I have the 3500 and I think I could do 7 days easy with it. Like was said, put a bag in the load area for food. You are going to eat it and use the space for meat on the way out. I know how I am. With a bigger bag I would just take more. I have backpacked quite a lot and have most of my gear lightened up. The pack is heavier than my backpacking pack.

HeadnWest

WKR
My last 7 day elk trip, I used a 3500 and was at 39 lbs. I did pack too much food though. About 2lbs per day. I was about maxed out with the bag, but could've always placed items in the load area.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I started with a 3500, and it was great but I certainly wasn't getting 5 days out of it. I don't pack excessive, but with synthetic bag and 3 days of food it was maxed. I actually liked that it kept me honest in packing smart, but in the end I got a 5500 because its really not a big deal to compress it when I don't need the full capacity. I'd just rather have the extra capacity even if I don't use it all the time. Plus, with my kids getting old enough to start backpacking, I definitely need the room to carry some of their stuff.

Graves14

WKR
I would wait and see what their new packs look like. Exo has been pretty responsive to their customers needs/wants in the past and a true one week pack is definitely something guys have been asking for.

The extra room to weight difference with the 5500 is worth the couple extra oz. They compress down so small you'll be glad you got the bigger one.

Mosby

WKR
My son is getting a bag and he decided on the 5500 but is waiting for June. When it is freezing cold and you are packing up, trying to get everything back to its smallest form to fit into a loaded pack can be a pain and if nothing else, it simply takes longer. He is also a big dude and everything is bigger. He is opting for the bigger bag accepting the small diff in weight.

MThuntr

WKR
I own the 3500 and can do less than 5 days pretty easily but things can get tight. Any more than 5 and I feel you need a touch more room. Go 5500 but try to pack it like you only have the 3500

I did 7days with the 2000k. On purpose. It was a deep trip at 8 miles in and I had to make myself be overly restrictive. I used a dry sack on load self for camp and food. It worked well but had very minimal creature comforts.

I own all three bags. 2k, 3.5k and 5.5k.

IMO, If you don’t use loadself and depending how you pack a sleeping bag, I would get 3.5k if you have a down bag and 5500 with synthetic bag.