Exo 6400 Pack Cover

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations for a rain cover for this pack? I have the drybag but looking for a rain fly cover. Forecast is calling for dumping rain on our pack in.

Thanks.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Second the stone glacier. 3.6oz and has elastic loops that go over the hip belt to keep it from flying away if you pull it off to get into the bag in some weather.

K98

FNG
Depending on what size pack I am carrying, I use either a Dana Design Pack Fly or a Dana Design KB Fly. Both are old and both have attached hoods that keep rain from running down between the pack and my back. If it is not raining too hard and I have the pack fly on, I will occasionally not even put on a rain jacket. On the downside, they are heavier than other options. Mystery Ranch has an updated version.

uc3kimber

FNG
My friend just got this pack last week. When he called exo the rep recommended a sea to summit cover. Not sure if it's the lightest option or not.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yaada_205

FNG
Any recommendations for a rain cover for this pack? I have the drybag but looking for a rain fly cover. Forecast is calling for dumping rain on our pack in.

Thanks.
I am glad you are preparing with a rain cover and not use a dry bag! (also glad you posted this as I have just learned about the sea to summit reply!)

We just got done with a second half Sept elk hunt.

We were moving our spike camp to another ridge while it rained on us 24 hrs straight.... all day of hiking in the rain.

The pack got wet, all soaked up. Initially I wasn't really concerned about any water getting in even though our Exo 4800's are water resistant. Let me tell you, things inside still got wet, not drenched, but just damp and we dealt with it by toughing it out.

But here's the real issue - the Exo outer fabric (Cordura) becoming wet added weight to the overall pack!!!

Dry bag keeps things dry compartmentally, but the entire outer soaking up water adds unnecessary weight!!

Now I have in my hunt notes to prepare next year's hunt with a pack rain cover!

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I am glad you are preparing with a rain cover and not use a dry bag! (also glad you posted this as I have just learned about the sea to summit reply!)

We just got done with a second half Sept elk hunt.

We were moving our spike camp to another ridge while it rained on us 24 hrs straight.... all day of hiking in the rain.

The pack got wet, all soaked up. Initially I wasn't really concerned about any water getting in even though our Exo 4800's are water resistant. Let me tell you, things inside still got wet, not drenched, but just damp and we dealt with it by toughing it out.

But here's the real issue - the Exo outer fabric (Cordura) becoming wet added weight to the overall pack!!!

Dry bag keeps things dry compartmentally, but the entire outer soaking up water adds unnecessary weight!!

Now I have in my hunt notes to prepare next year's hunt with a pack rain cover!
Great point. I didn't think about that.

After some research, I ended up getting a stone glacier pack cover. Super light weight and fits well and I like how it loops around the waist belt. Also packs down to nothing.

I contacted Exo as well and they recommended the sea to summit--which I am assuming they did as they don't really want to recommend a competitor like SG.

sivart

WKR
packs makes one that's less than 2 oz. It's Dymena so it's expensive. My only concern, is the material looks really reflective. Does anyone have one?