Exo K3 Lighter bag

CMF

WKR
Has anyone found a lighter bag to run on an Exo K3?
I currently have the 4800 bag that comes in around 2lb. 3oz.
I could save a 1lb by going to the Kuiu pro LT 4000 pack system, but I already have a K3 and would rather just try another bag to save weight than get a new system.
I just figured I could save a 1lb or so with a lighter weight bag and only use the exo 4800 bag when I really need it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have run both Kuiu and Exo. Like them both but still have the Exo.

I have been toying with a design for a new bag to fit my K3. I could make a simpler smaller bag and save a pound.

Part of Kuiu savings is in the cheaper zipper, too.

What exactly are you looking for?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@pods8 (Rugged Stitching) you ever make anything like this?
In general if you want a light bag it needs to be more minimal in features cause zippers and buckles and webbing add up. Also less seams is less binding on the inside for a finished edge. A lighter fabric saves a little weight but not as much as folks tend to assume. On zippers bigger is heavier also urethane zippers are heavier. All things to think about if chasing ounces and deciding where you’re gonna compromise, cause there will be compromises if chasing ounces.

Has anyone found a lighter bag to run on an Exo K3?
I currently have the 4800 bag that comes in around 2lb. 3oz.
I could save a 1lb by going to the Kuiu pro LT 4000 pack system, but I already have a K3 and would rather just try another bag to save weight than get a new system.
I just figured I could save a 1lb or so with a lighter weight bag and only use the exo 4800 bag when I really need it.

Are you trying to save a pound by switching bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I would save a pound and get a smaller day size bag. That’s one thing I liked about the Kuiu I had.

I also cut my toothbrush in half before I decided not to carry a toothbrush, lol.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
What exactly are you looking for?
A pound lighter bag, lol.

Yea, assuming I can find something worthwhile that would work with the k3 frame.

I figure if Kuiu can make a pound lighter bag, there should be some options. I assumed it was mostly in the fabric, but based on pods8, I guess it's a total of the smaller zippers and straps too.

Just want to see what's out there for options. I'm considering just getting a Kuiu LT 4000. My older son is due for a bigger pack and we're about the same size, so I can try it out before giving it to him.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As far as I know, there are no companies out there making bags to fit on pre-existing frames. So, it will have to be something custom.

When I said what exactly are you looking for? meaning features on the bag. The pound savings was clear.

No lid, no roll top, no/fewer pockets, lighter zipper?

Horseshoe zipper, top access zipper, “Y” shape zippers, etc.

I can make a box and a flap on top to save all the weight, but I doubt that is what you mean.

Like I said, I have already thought about making my own custom bag with features I want. I like custom. So, just checking with you.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
As far as I know, there are no companies out there making bags to fit on pre-existing frames. So, it will have to be something custom.

When I said what exactly are you looking for? meaning features on the bag. The pound savings was clear.

No lid, no roll top, no/fewer pockets, lighter zipper?

Horseshoe zipper, top access zipper, “Y” shape zippers, etc.

I can make a box and a flap on top to save all the weight, but I doubt that is what you mean.

Like I said, I have already thought about making my own custom bag with features I want. I like custom. So, just checking with you.
I'd say roll top is ok, doesn't need to be horshoe zipper, one middle zipper would work. Would definitely want a couple stretchy pouches and maybe at least one mid size zipper pocket for headlight, knife, snacks, etc;
Definitely don't need a lid. I already don't run the exo lid on the 4800.

Several companies make bags that are tranferable so they will go onto military frames. However, if you are comparing a kuiu set-up vs a kifaru set-up i would think a large amount of that is in the frame, belt, etc. and would be hard to lose a pound in a bag without going pretty spartan. Exo bags are the lightest i have found other than kuiu. Eberlestock has some lite ones but not sure they cross over.

FYI, I have the Kuiu 4000LT pack, and the bag itself came in at 1 pound 7.2oz instead of the 1pound, 3.5oz claimed on their site. It’ll be in a review on Gear Junkie sometime in the next couple of months. I can give you some more details about weights of individual parts if you want to shoot me a DM.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
FYI, I have the Kuiu 4000LT pack, and the bag itself came in at 1 pound 7.2oz instead of the 1pound, 3.5oz claimed on their site. It’ll be in a review on Gear Junkie sometime in the next couple of months. I can give you some more details about weights of individual parts if you want to shoot me a DM.
That's interesting. I got the 4000lt for my daughter, so I got one to check out. I'll have to check it out and see if I get the same result, I just assumed the weight was accurate from the website...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a manufacturer, I can tell you that it isn't easy to get product weight to list that is down to the ounces. Sometimes, there is variability in the weight of things like the fabric or fill. To deal with it, I have always tried to list the highest weight in the variation.

sivart

WKR
It must not be that hard. I've never had an EXO pack weigh more than the advertised. In fact, some have been under. Contrary, I've never had a kifaru pack weigh as advertised. always much heavier.

That's interesting. I got the 4000lt for my daughter, so I got one to check out. I'll have to check it out and see if I get the same result, I just assumed the weight was accurate from the website...
Yeah- the entire pack/frame/suspension came in at 7oz over the stated weight. Since I'm reviewing it, I even took it to the post office and had them weigh all the components on a legal-for-trade scale (perks of living in rural CO and bringing the mail lady a dozen yard eggs every now and then). The frame and the bag were the culprits.

That being said, it's really comfortable otherwise, at least up to carrying around a 50lb sandbag. I'm curious to know how it'll compare to heavier stuff vs. the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth I've used in the past.