Exo K4 3600 or 5000

D_greg03

FNG
I’m undecided between the k4 3600 and 5000. 90% of my hunting is day trips from a base camp or quick weekend backpack trips. So I know the 3600 would be plenty.

That being said I have a Montana mountain goat tag this year. That will require a longer backpack trip. And don’t want to be under gunned for this tag

I am fairly a minimalist, but far from ultralight. Most of my gear is bulky ish shelter/sleeping systems/clothing, compared to a lot of guys out there.

Any real world experience with the bags would be appreciated. If you think the 3600 will be plenty or if the 5000 would be safer. I’m mainly concerned that the 5000 will just be too big for most of my hunting outside this goat tag.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely the 5000. Can always add a smaller bag down the line if you really think you need it.

I’m like you, pretty minimalist but not UL and mostly short trips so i went with a smaller 3200 pack. The problem was when i wanted to go longer, like a full week, i ran into all kinds of problems trying to make it work and fit everything in and cut certain things out. I eventually bought a bigger bag to go with the smaller one. I think you’ll end up going down the same path if you go smaller.

OP
D

D_greg03

FNG
Thank you guys for the quick responses! I was leaning towards the 5000, And now I think I’ll get that. I do think the 3600 would work for the longer trip but with a once in a lifetime tag I’ll just get what is best for that situation.

OP
D

D_greg03

FNG
Was in the same predicament, I now own a 5k and the 2200, now I’m covered for anything, also i like the horseshoe zip better.

I have a feeling I will be in the same boat very soon.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The 5000 compresses down extremely small. You can always run it smaller, but you’ll be glad you have the extra room for those longer trips.

Definitely the 5000. I have both. The 3600 is my scouting pack and 5000 for hunting. Decided to take the 5000 this weekend so I had room for scouting stuff and could pack it with trail cams too. Coming out after putting up the cams, was surprised how tight I was able to strap that pack up. Never once thought it was too much pack with limited gear inside.

And this being my first butt kicking hike of the year, was super impressed with the comfort of this new system. Can’t wait to feel when it’s entirely broken in.

ChrisAU

WKR
Yup, I ordered a 2200 and 5000 right off the bat. My WY muley hunt last year we camped at the truck and I used a K3 4800 bag, easily could have gotten away with the 2200.

JB426

FNG
If you're not getting two bags I would definitely say go with the 5000. It's only slightly heavier than the 3600 and they compress down really well.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I was having the same considerations and ended up going with the 5000. When comparing the dimensions on the Exo site there wasn't enough difference to warrant going with the 3600 instead of the 5000. One thing I say a lot is "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!"

Last edited:

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
As others have stated they can get away with the 3600 for longer trips. Steve from EXO will always recommend a smaller bag. By packing your food in the load shelf with a dry bag you free up bag space for everything else and as the hunt progresses you free up the load shelf. Honestly my main concern with this approach would be if your fortunate enough to fill a tag early into your hunt now you don’t have the bag space to get everything out in one shot.

Personally I have the 5k and had the K3 4800 last year. I primarily use it for day hunts but have a few trips between camping and hiking that the larger space is needed, particularly when I’m taking the family. It’s amazing how quickly you can fill a bag when carrying food and supplies for 5 people.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 3600 and the 7200. I’d say if you can only get one bag get the 5000. If you want to be more specialized then get the 3600, use it for the majority of hunting and then throw the 7200 on there for late season stuff or longer trips. The 7200 does compress super well and could be used for day stuff too but the 3600 is just super slick for day hunting and up to a couple days overnight.

I was deciding between the two for when i upgrade to the k4, one thing that helped me decide is the 5000 has the horseshoe opening while the 3600 doesn't, also they synch down to about the same size.

House21

FNG
I was deciding between the 2200 and 3600 and ended up going with the 3600. I could get 5-7 days in the 3600, so depending on how many days and what kind of gear you have I think either would work. I’m coming from a Kifaru Gnargali and I’m not a fan of having a bag that has tons of extra room after you load all your gear

Go 5000. I ordered both 3600 and 5000 and i am pretty ultra-light. The issue for me is any trip over 4 days just requires way to much thought to load the pack. If its late and dark and I need to move camps or hike out I do not want to be screwing around with a perfect fit to fill every little square inch to make my pack work.