Extra wide sleeping bag… am I crazy?

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
The thing with a wide bag is its more comfy in summer, but the real advantage is room for a lofting down jacket when the temps really go down.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I bought a 15 degree big ages Lone Ranger in long/wide thinking it would be more comfortable as I'm a side sleeper. If the temps are 35 or above that bag is really really comfortable to sleep in but below 35 I get cold in it. I think it is a combo of to much space to heat up and it drafts really badly when I roll around because there is so much air in there. I have since bought a Western mountaineering bag that is regular mummy shape for winter months. It is night and day difference on the warmth but I do also still wake up quite a bit because its tight in there. Im glad I have both bags and cans just use them at different times of the year.

My advice is to just not trust what ever their rating is. If they are saying 15 degree plan on that thing really probably being a 30+ bag. If those are the conditions you're after then you'll be happy with the extra width.

MTHokie

Lil-Rokslider
I second ZenBivy!

There is a sweet spot for size and warmth. Go too big and you will get a lot of cold spots. I sometimes use a really wide version for summer/early fall and will use a more properly fitted version for late fall/early winter. Pad r value plays a HUGE roll as well.
I would agree here and think you'd get really uncomfy cold spots in a bag that wide.

Blandry

WKR
It depends on you and what you prefer. I can sleep with my puffy jacket and wool blanket on my insulated sleeping pad down to 20 degrees.

You won't be packing that bag deep in the backcountry but it sounds SUPER comfy