Favorite 44 magnum

robtattoo

WKR
The problem with the 336/44 and the reason it was discontinued, was simply because they couldn't figure a way of making the model with a short bolt throw, like the '94. Pistol cartridges in long, rifle actions really don't make sense. When just first bought the gun, as standard, I had literally months of feeding issues. 3 gunsmiths & the while Marlin Owners Forum couldn't figure it out!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44. I had a gunsmith do a trigger job and install Meprolight tritium night sights on it. I figure lighting may not be great when it is needed. I use either a Diamond D chest or hip holster with it depending on the situation.

When the 44 isn't necessary I pack a S&W 386XL Hunter revolver in 357. I love that gun and with 7 rounds and a 6" barrel it's as light as the 4.2" 5 shot SP101 it replaced. It's easy to shoot with heavy loads and darn accurate. It's easily my favorite revolver. I find that the shorter distance between the grip and hammer on the smaller frame gun makes it easier to cock as I'm drawing it also. The same gunsmith did the trigger on this one also. Double action accuracy improves greatly for me after a good trigger job. single action accuracy improves too.

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Love my redhawk in a 5.5" barrel. Heavy gun, but easy to carry with a chest rig. Easy shooter:
KwS6krZ.jpg

This is what I'm leaning toward but in the 4". Found a local decent deal on one but it's chambered for 45acp/45 colt

This is what I'm leaning toward but in the 4". Found a local decent deal on one but it's chambered for 45acp/45 colt
.45 Colt especially with RedHawks, can have some meat behind it with BB loads or handloads... Hangs with the .44 mag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. Although not my first choice, I picked up a super redhawk Alaskan yesterday. It kind of fell in to my lap and for $500 with a shoulder holster o couldn't pass it up.

Rokwiia

WKR
I carry a Ruger SRH Toklat in 454 Casull BUT if I were buying today I would get Desert Eagle 44 magnum semi-automatic. Normally they weigh ~70oz but this year the released a new model with reduced weight. It weighs about the same as a Ruger RH in 44 magnum, has a 5" barrel, and an 8-round magazine.

Hands down that would be my woods gun if I didn't already have my Toklat.

Magnum Research Desert Eagle, .44 Magnum, Black, L5 - Style # DE44L5IMB, MRI Shop / Firearms

Another option would a 44 magnum Ruger Alaskan with a 2.5" barrel.

Ruger® Super Redhawk Alaskan® Double-Action Revolver Model 5303

robtattoo

WKR
Ever since this thread started, I've been really craving a SRH Alaskan in .480 Ruger!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Well, I recently picked up something I've wanted for a few years...a prelock S&W Mountain Gun. I'm hoping to get it and the new Alaskan out soon to get an overall feel for which one I'd be more likely to carry around in the woods.

I’m a single action guy. I like the way they draw and point, so I feel like they’re the quickest into action for a trail gun for me. I have a Bisley 480 that’s a lot of fun, but too heavy for a trail gun. My trail gun is a 4-3/4”Blackhawk 44 Special on a 357 size frame (flattop). I switched the grip frame to an aluminum XR3 grip and polished the action and change the springs. It has just right amount of muzzle heavy. It’s strong enough for handloads that I’ve chronographed at 44 mag speeds. I’ve killed some small game and a Whitetail with it, and it’s gone many miles on my hip on a low riding holster that doesn’t interfere with my backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the s&w mountain gun a lot when shed hunting & bow hunting. The Kenai chest holster made it night & day better. I am amazed at the difference. I have played with the idea of getting a 329 but I never met anyone who kept one very one long.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I got rid of my .44's and got a S&W 460 in 5 in. Love shooting that thing. Bonus is that you can also shoot 45 Colt and 454 Casull in it. Carrying in a chest holster is not very different than my S&W .44's.

frankrb3

WKR
S&W 69 Combat Magnum with 4.25" barrel. I also have a discontinued ruger 99/44 semiautomatic .44 magnum rifle. Super cool gun. I hiked with it last year a little bit and it's a pretty nimble rifle.

Congrats on the new Alaskan and Mountain Gun.