Favorite frying pan?

GoatPackr

WKR
I'm looking for a frying pan that can be packed in. Something lighter than the old cast iron but doesn't need to be ultra lite. Mostly for frying a couple trout. I'm thinking it needs to be 8-10" with some sort of handle that maybe folds.

What's your favorite way of cooking trout in the back country?

Kris

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have the MSR reactor which has the weird rounded shape to it. Normal lightweight backpacking pans were annoying to use with it, so I bought the MSR ceramic pan that’s made for their stove. It’s less than half a pound for an 8” pan and works great! Tricky to get temps perfect but star real low with the gas and it’s great. Cooked many a backcountry fish in it. My favorite are rainbow trout in the high sierras.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple GSI pinnacle pans which work great on a stove. Otherwise if cooking on fire, a small grill grate works very nicely. I enjoy my Purcell Trench grill grate, even comes with a cordura case to keep the soot off of your pack.

OP
G

GoatPackr

WKR
I've had bad luck with coated pans. I'm not real fond of them. I'm looking at some of the thin carbon steel pans or even a thinner cast iron pan for crapes. It'll be riding in a pannier on a goat so a little weight isn't a big deal.

Going into a little lake this weekend to try for some brook trout. Will be first time taking my kids in. They will be 4th generation. Both my parents families took them to this lake every year when they were kids.
We're planning on cooking in foil with butter and garlic. Might try some garlic parm panco in a frying pan and see what the kids like the best. Nothing better than high mountain brook trout over a campfire

Kris

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
MSR Stowaway is what I use, stainless, made in Thailand like my Zebrapot.

That Mauviel looks interesting, probably safer than taking All Clad, especially if my wife found out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IMG_9690.JPG
I have been using this MSR Quick Skillet for about 10 years now. Weighs in around 6oz. The handle folds in and also disconnects which has been great. I use pot grippers when cooking with it over an open fire. It does get hot really quick due to being so thin, but it really hasn't been an issue. Done everything from frying fish in the back county for dinner to pancakes for breakfast.

These are some of the brookies we fried up during part of my bachelor party at an alpine lake here in CO.

maya

FNG
10" carbon steel. The kind pro chefs use in commercial kitchens. Will season like cast iron but is much lighter. I cut the handle off mine & drilled two small holes near the top of the sides for hooking on a section of bailing wire. Between the wire and a leather glove I can move pan around just fine while cooking on coals.

Attachments

• th-3103022724.jpg
    th-3103022724.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 14

Mosby

WKR
I have an old aluminum fry pan with a removable handle that I bought off eBay with a set of pots, pans and a coffee pot. Probably from the 60's or 70's. Used the fry pan at home to season it and it's now a grizzled, stained piece of cookware that has become non stick with use. Handle goes into a slot on the side. Easy to pack and it works as well as anything I have.

My go to. Works wonderfully. It was recommended to me by Patrick Smith, the founder of Mountain Smith and Kifaru. Seems to me, he has more experience than most of us on here when it comes to wilderness cooking. They are a bit expensive though.

Sniperbait1

FNG
Classified Approved
I've been thinking about getting a self reliance outfitter stainless steel pan. They've got an 8 inch and a 10inch I'll probably get both

Read1t48

WKR
The jet boil skillet is awesome. Gets amazing reviews and works with non jet boil stoves. Highly recommend.