Favorite Sheep Hunting Pants

Resurrecting an older thread here but are these still your favorite?

I really love these pants as well and plan on wearing them for sheep this next August but am a little concerned since the g1000 is partially cotton. Do you find they fry out fairly well and do you use quite a bit of the wax they recommend?
I do love those pants, but for longer mountain hunts I go with full synthetic now. I do use the Fjallraven wax. They dry out ok, but not as quick as a true soft shell pant. I use them more for day hunts.
My pant of choice now is the Frontier Gear of Alaska PA-18 Pants from Barney’s in Anchorage. They fit incredible well and made from a lighter soft shell material. They have thigh vents and also come un-hemmed so that you can have them perfectly sized to fit you. Highly recommend them.

I do love those pants, but for longer mountain hunts I go with full synthetic now. I do use the Fjallraven wax. They dry out ok, but not as quick as a true soft shell pant. I use them more for day hunts.
My pant of choice now is the Frontier Gear of Alaska PA-18 Pants from Barney’s in Anchorage. They fit incredible well and made from a lighter soft shell material. They have thigh vents and also come un-hemmed so that you can have them perfectly sized to fit you. Highly recommend them.
Thanks, I will have to check them out. Tried the stone glacier de Haviland pant and really like the design but they just have a ton of extra material and aren’t very form fitting. They seem to ride great though with the higher waist and built in belt under a pack.

I don’t want a real tight fit but dislike the excess material of most hunting brands I have tried. I’m pretty familiar with Barney’s, have they done a better job of cutting out some of the excess material in your opinion?

Thanks, I will have to check them out. Tried the stone glacier de Haviland pant and really like the design but they just have a ton of extra material and aren’t very form fitting. They seem to ride great though with the higher waist and built in belt under a pack.

I don’t want a real tight fit but dislike the excess material of most hunting brands I have tried. I’m pretty familiar with Barney’s, have they done a better job of cutting out some of the excess material in your opinion?
Definitely. I hate excess material, pockets etc. as well. They are slim, but not tight. I helped with the testing of these when Kevin was developing them. Nothing I would change about them at all.

I have worn KOM Bunlight wool, Sitka mountain pant, Fjallraven KEBs, Mammut Champ, and Kuiu Attack pants (among others). All worked fine.

For good weather I prefer the Attacks and for rough weather the light woolies are my go-to.

I've also gone to the PA-18 Barney's pants for my sheep hunts. I have used the Fjallraven pants and do like them, but I found the seat of the pant tends to rip out to easily if I am not meticulously careful with how I maneuver amongst the rocks while on my butt.
The Barney's pants are lightweight, dry fast, and so far have held up well after two seasons of hard use.

Love my Kuiu attack pants, though lately I've been hiking in a pair of Stoic pants that I like just as well. I don't know the model on those - got them off of steapandcheap a few years back.

Interesting thread. Have any of you tried any pants from Stone Glacier? Im pretty tall (36" inseam) and they seam to be one of the few that offer something for thin, taller folks.

I will third the recommendations above on the Barney’s PA-18 pants. My wife bought me some for Christmas and they’re legit. Previously, I swore by the Kuiu Attack pants. I still have a pair of those in the wings should something happen to the Barney’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying they are the best and I’d like to try others, but I’ve got a few pair of Sitka Timberline that each have 100’s of days in them. 1 pair that has paid for themselves many many many times.

I just got the SG de Havilland's at Sheep Show this year and have been wearing them on Sunday hikes since. I'll add that I like the adjustable fly as well and it hasn't been an issue at all. Have used the side zippers as well to dump heat on elevation gains, which has been great. Will be putting them to use in the sheep mountains this fall.

Almost 4 years later and it’s still Sitka Timberlines holding the #1 spot for me. I Like Attacks and Kutanas from KUIU just fine and love KUIU Switchbacks for everyday but for sheep hunts I just like/prefer the Timberlines. May take a pair of the KUIU Pros on this years sheep hunt though.

As crazy as it sounds: Eddie Bauer Guide Pro.

Don't ever pay full price. Eddie Bauer puts stuff on 50% off sales all the time. That's when you load up. $45 for technical mountain pants is pretty wicked. (No awesome digital camo though. Sorry you guys who like to be all matchy head-to-toe.)

I've used them over the last 4 seasons exclusively. Great for early season in the mountains. When it gets colder, the wool comes out.

Favorite are the no longer made Kuiu Alpine's.

Use the Barney's PA-18 as well and like them.

I wish Kuiu would bring back the Alpine. Anyone I know who has them has claimed they're the best pants ever for hunting.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Kuiu attacks for the majority of the season, Tiburon if it's going to be hot.

My plan is to bring my Ascents and a pair of Kuiu zip off 97 bottoms. If it's warm I'll have merino boxers on, cool to cold, 97's underneath the Ascents.

If I had a crystal ball and I knew the weather would be crap (and cold) for ten days, I might look into the Timberlines. I don't wear the Timberlines here until it gets cold, they are pretty warm pants.

If it's warmer (early August), I think I'll be happier with the Ascents.

Back