Feathers vs Vanes

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a certain FPS range where feathers become better suited for arrow flight than vanes? Perhaps low 200's? Say you had a recurve that shot 220fps with your set up, would it be more beneficial to run vanes than feathers?

Felix40

WKR
Feathers are used for clearance when shooting off the shelf. They dont really have anything to do with speed. They are louder than vanes so the faster you shoot them the more noticeable it will be. Vanes may have a little less drag but its going to be pretty inconsequential for most any traditional shooter.

It seems very unlikely to me that you will ever find a recurve that will shoot in the 220s with normal arrow weights. Most bowyers will not warranty their limbs for super light arrows.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Feathers are used for clearance when shooting off the shelf. They dont really have anything to do with speed. They are louder than vanes so the faster you shoot them the more noticeable it will be. Vanes may have a little less drag but its going to be pretty inconsequential for most any traditional shooter.

It seems very unlikely to me that you will ever find a recurve that will shoot in the 220s with normal arrow weights. Most bowyers will not warranty their limbs for super light arrows.

Right, it was mostly hypothetical. I'm actually setting up an Oneida Black Eagle which I am guessing will be between 220-240fps so I am trying to decide which vane set up will give me the best triangle of less drag, better stability and quietness.

Drag creates stability so less drag is less stability. The balance is getting enough drag that arrow flight with broadheads is stable when shooting under less than ideal form in the field without slowing down arrow flight too much...wasting energy.

More noise is created by vanes that are taller...think Blazers, or feathers due to the roughness of the feather and hundreds of individual "tips" called barbs. That said, I've shot 100's of animals with 5" 4-fletch helical feathers, mostly shot from compounds, as well as a big pile the past 17 years with Blazers fletched helical. Better to be over-stabilized than suffer poor arrow flight in the field when your form isn't as good as shooting on the flat at your range.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a certain FPS range where feathers become better suited for arrow flight than vanes? Perhaps low 200's? Say you had a recurve that shot 220fps with your set up, would it be more beneficial to run vanes than feathers?
In regards to feathers on a recurve they are used for clearance such as shooting off the shelf. But I have shot gateway razyr feathers above 280 fps and they work just fine. It's nice having four feathers weigh less than the majority of one vane. In regards to noise I haven't had a single problem especially if you put a turbulator in the front of them. They arn't as loud as Blazers or any vented broadhead.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to feathers on a recurve they are used for clearance such as shooting off the shelf. But I have shot gateway razyr feathers above 280 fps and they work just fine. It's nice having four feathers weigh less than the majority of one vane. In regards to noise I haven't had a single problem especially if you put a turbulator in the front of them. They arn't as loud as Blazers or any vented broadhead.

I have never heard of a turbulator

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
It's pretty much a raised piece of plastic that wraps around the shaft and goes a 1/4" in front of the vanes or feathers. Traditional archers has been using it for a long time.

Do those make a noticeable difference with noise on vanes?