Feedback for HNT 26 for a long range rifle?

repins05

WKR
Looking for feedback on the MDT hnt 26 stock for a long range rifle. Did a search and mostly saw the the mdt stocks in the classifieds. Any issues with them?

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a great chassis. I use mine on my practice PRS barreled action and hunt with it during hunting season.

ID_Matt

WKR
I prefer the XLR element 4.0 for a hunting chassis. My gripe with the HNT26 is the recoil lug area is not the most robust. Have seen it cause some accuracy issues with heavier recoiling magnums.

Odd1out

FNG
I suggest you go shoot one before you buy. This is of course if you have never shot a chassis before. The all metal gives a tuning fork recoil note sensation that I never see anyone talk about. Took me a bit to resolve it with upgrading the pad to obi one and getting the negative comb right and a vertical butt pad adjustment. Also depending on caliber u might have to use heavy aic mags. I'm still on the fence with mine. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I suggest you go shoot one before you buy. This is if course if you have never shot a chassis before. The all metal gives a tuning fork recoil note sensation that i never see anyone talk about. Took me a bit to resolve it with upgrading the pad to obi one and getting the negative comb right and a vertical butt pad adjustment. Also depending on caliber u might have to use heavy aic mags. I'm still on the fence with mine. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

I’d heard others talk about the “tuning fork” recoil as well. However, shooting my suppressed 7PRC XLR I’ve never noticed it.

Odd1out

FNG
It also got better with the more weight added but counter productive to a lightweight hunting rig. I think if I were to do it over I would have tried a seekins havak slam. Would check more of boxes for my application at least.

they are nice. feel solid and well built. The short actions are lighter than the XLRs but the long actions can get heavy if you are stuck with the metal mag (la tikka). Where the butt rides on a bag took some getting used to along with shooting with the thumb on the side. I prefer more in line with the bore so it's a little different. For the price in the classifieds i think they are worth a shot. can always sell if you don;t like it and recoup what you paid. I wouldn't pay new prices though. I have a hard time beating something up in the woods thats so expensive, thats what im trying to wrap my head around.

I will say i think the folder is overrated. the click i thought would be too loud on a stalk and i didn't like how when folded it makes your optic more exposed to getting banged around at the bottom when attached to your pack when setting down/ hiking vs in the middle like if it was in a sling. i never noticed a tuning fork feel only on the last round of a mag it gave a slight different recoil sensation but I wouldn't call it a tuning fork like feel. Like others said try and fondle one if you can. Or buy used if that's not an option.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
I suggest you go shoot one before you buy. This is of course if you have never shot a chassis before. The all metal gives a tuning fork recoil note sensation that I never see anyone talk about. Took me a bit to resolve it with upgrading the pad to obi one and getting the negative comb right and a vertical butt pad adjustment. Also depending on caliber u might have to use heavy aic mags. I'm still on the fence with mine. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Is this similar to shooting large caliber ar?

Is it possible to change out the recoil lug if needed?

Odd1out

FNG
Is this similar to shooting large caliber ar?

Is it possible to change out the recoil lug if needed?
No idea on the ar and what type of action are you asking about for removable recoil lug?

Looking for feedback on the MDT hnt 26 stock for a long range rifle. Did a search and mostly saw the the mdt stocks in the classifieds. Any issues with them?
What kind of long range rifle? How long of a range are we talking? For a backwoods hunting rifle it's great. If you're just using it at the range I would go heavier so you can actually see where your shots land.

I have a 7PRC in a HNT26. It's about 8lbs scoped. Loved carrying it around Utah, but even with a good brake the muzzle still does some jumping after the shot.

MDT now makes 3 round polymer magazines for magnum calibers that will run in the HNT26. They work fantastically.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
1000 yard rifle In 7prc Is what I am thinking. Just going to probably need to try it and see if it is for me. I have rifles that can reach out there already. But wanting to change it up with this one.

1000 yard rifle In 7prc Is what I am thinking. Just going to probably need to try it and see if it is for me. I have rifles that can reach out there already. But wanting to change it up with this one.
Ok.. but is it for hunting... or is it just to hit 1000 at the range?

Odd1out

FNG
MDT now makes 3 round polymer magazines for magnum calibers that will run in the HNT26. They work fantastically.
Strange I tried one in my 7prc and it works fine first round and the next 2 tip bad and jam up. I abandoned it. Went back to aic mag. Hoping they release ones made for prc's. Did you do anything to yours to get them to feed?

Strange I tried one in my 7prc and it works fine first round and the next 2 tip bad and jam up. I abandoned it. Went back to aic mag. Hoping they release ones made for prc's. Did you do anything to yours to get them to feed?

You didn't even know the polymer mags existed for magnum carts until I said something yet you've tried one already and it failed.. I don't think you know what mags I'm talking about, seeing as they just got released a few months ago.

MDTs polymer mags are AICS magazines. I didn't have to do anything to make them run well. Maybe you bought the mags in the wrong caliber.

Odd1out

FNG
You didn't even know the polymer mags existed for magnum carts until I said something yet you've tried one already and it failed.. I don't think you know what mags I'm talking about, seeing as they just got released a few months ago.

MDTs polymer mags are AICS magazines. I didn't have to do anything to make them run well. Maybe you bought the mags in the wrong caliber.
I said above depending on the caliber you MAY have to use a heavy metal mag. I definitely know about the plastic ones cause I own one. I bought the la 300wm/ 7rem one

I said above depending on the caliber you MAY have to use a heavy metal mag. I definitely know about the plastic ones cause I own one. I bought the la 300wm/ 7rem one

Mine is completely stock and feeds 100% reliably. Also using the 300wm for my 7prc. Could be your action just doesn't like the mag