First Auodad Hunt

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Headed down to west Texas for a 3 day Auodad hunt a few days ago with some buddies. Two of us hunting and one strap-hanger ....Loaded up the truck and hit the road.....west Texas nights are beautiful.
P4wZ7a.jpg

RG9seq.jpg

Day 1 we headed out early on the Ranger. I learned quick that these things are impossible to spot. Our guides Creed and Bobby are amazing at glassing into valleys and finding them. Lots of young rams and ewes. We did glass a lion stalking some sheep which was insanely cool. The ranch owner was notified who came to track the lion with his hounds. We set off to find more sheep. We had 2 nice stalks on some sheep but the rams were borderline. Lots of learning on day 1. This country is rugged, windy and unforgiving.
BEpF35.jpg

iQ9vZF.jpg

Day 2 we head back out. An hour in, they spot a good ram. My buddy Jason goes first. We hang back as he and the guides stalk him. 45 minutes later....boom....ram down on a cliff side. The climb to recover was hairy to say the least...but worth it. He dropped a nice 30" ram at about 470yds....great job. More glassing until sundown...no more worthy rams.
ghHySb.jpg

Day 3 it's my turn up. We moved areas a bit...saw rams...ewes...elk....havelinas...but no big rams. This whole hunt, I was never able to spot sheep "first". They blend in so incredibly well into the countryside....until the early afternoon. We stop to hydrate...talk some shit....get some shade as I glass the closest ridge. Scanning some Yuccas there he was...stepping put. I meekly say "sheep". Creed throws up his binos and whispers "hell yes, he's a shooter". Creed, Bobby and I pack up and begin our stalk up the valley. He crosses the ridge above us, back and forth. We loose him in a valley bend. A bit further we go and suddenly Creed drops, set the spotter and says "there he is, bedded in the Yucca." I set up on the least down angle place I can find. Me facing down (doesn't look it in the pic) and the ram up on the hill sucked. Bipod on the bag....3 rounds loaded....we wait....and wait...and wait. I was on the rocks, in that position, baking for 2 hours. We tried some noise to get him to stand without spooking him to run...nothing. I close my eyes intermittently to fight eyeball fatigue when it got real...real quick.
Eyes resting Bobby whispers "showtime....kill that sheep". Back in the glass...he'd stood up at 349yds. Slow exhale and trigger press. I send the shot and immediately reload. Good shot into his left shoulder. Tough bastard runs down hill a bit and stops between some Yuccas. I zoom out after the reload, find him, and zoom back in. Bobby says come down .1, but I didn't hear him. 2nd shot zips his upper back. Now he's pissed and starts running to the Ridgeline. I hear Creed say "don't let him get over that ridge". I track him up the hill...he's bleeding from the first shot....the sky comes into view through the glass as he's getting closer to the top....shot 3 perfect on the move into just behind the other shoulder at a slight angle...he goes hooves up at about 400yds.
Adrenaline dump complete...bloody elbows...sunburnt neck...sore shoulders and a fuzzy eyeball I stand and knew it was a good ram from the grins on the guides faces.
Creed is with Highwest Outfitters and Bobby is with Frontier Outfitters. My buddy who set it up has hunted with both before so it was a joint venture. These guys and their outfitters are incredible. Both guys are personable...light hearted...and love teaching new hunters like me the ropes. Looking forward to hunting with both again.
Sorry for any typos....doing this from my phone in a tent.

Bergara Ridgline 300 win mag cut to 22"
Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50
Hornady 212gr ELD-X
IMR4831 max load
32" bruiser Auodad
Highest Outfitters (TX)
Frontier Outfitters (NM)

Sorry for the long windedness too....still pretty stoked. The fact that my ram was the only damn one I spotted first the entire time....pretty sweet.

oOF3f7.jpg

KY6yKc.jpg

Le8MQ4.jpg

Pr71nL.jpg

d22Ewh.jpg

Last edited:

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I was a spectator on a hunt with Creed a few years back, great guy. He spotted some sheep that I never would have. Congrats on the success.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice. Congrats. Definitely trying to get out there in the next year or two after one.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing! Thanks really enjoyed the story, congratulations on a heck of a ram.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Holy smokes! You weren't kidding about those animal's ability to blend in! Amazing. Great story and congrats on a great harvest.

Iddogguy

FNG
Congratulations, I'm thinking hard about hunting Aoudad!

Is that a bullet hole in the right horn?

Mark

OP
wtrbrdm

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks for the replies....sorry for the delay, was getting beat up on a long range tuna trip......I'm stoked.

Yes...bullet hole from shot 2 I think....unless it was from a previous hunter.....hmmmmmmm

Weldor

WKR
Wow! nice. Do they do Elk hunts? How much was a 3 day Aoudad with Creed?