First blues and snows

Baddog

WKR
I couldn’t even imagine having to clean all them birds, that’d be a lot of work!

WCB

WKR
Good indicator snows are coming is pairs of Canadas sitting on the sloughs...It seems about a week after that the first big push moves in. Of course on normal years with lots of snows you will see "scout groups" miles and miles north of the main snow line looking for routes north. I have seen them 100miles north of open water/open ground in ND before. 2-3ft of snow on the ground and no one stitch of water open. They fly up in the morning...fly back that afternoon/evening.

9 out of 10 years there are huntable pockets of birds in ND/SD till late April if not May. Had one of my best shoots last day of season in ND which is second week of May.

Wyoboy321

FNG
I hunting, even with all the restrictions lifted, ever going to be enough to get the population under control? I once read the numbers that wildlife biologist estimate need to be taken out and it was pretty astounding.

WCB

WKR
I hunting, even with all the restrictions lifted, ever going to be enough to get the population under control? I once read the numbers that wildlife biologist estimate need to be taken out and it was pretty astounding.
No...It maybe stifles it a bit but single digit population effect from hunting won't do anything. The bird flu had a really good chance last year....another big bout of bird flu maybe followed by a couple late would nock them back a bit...but doesn't look likely.

IMO to realistically have an effect they need to do something on the nesting grounds and/or allow them to be hunted on the refuges in the spring...move the birds around and not let them rest...but that would have a bad effect for other migratory birds using those areas.

WCB

WKR
Interesting. Thank you!
FYI....when I said "another big bout of bird flu followed by a couple late...." I meant late springs. If they get to the nesting grounds late they usually have bad hatches.

Learing all the time, so they're early due to the weather? Are they earlier on average the last decade (just picking a number) or is this year an anomoly?

I ask because you hear all this stuff about climate change and I never know who to believe, but I do trust hunters with years of knowledge about certain animals migratory patterns.
10-15 years ago, we would start hunting them in southwest Iowa about now for the very leading edge migrators and would have the last stragglers about the beginning of April. This year (and last) there's already well over a million at Squaw Creek (Loess Mounds) nwr. I haven't been to the old stomping grounds in a few years to know when it ends lately.

With milder winters of late, the birds winter farther north and push farther, faster when they are able to. There's almost always a big storm or two that somewhat "reset" them but the trend is definitely towards earlier. Besides the weather, a major increase in hunting pressure in Arkansas almost certainly urges their initial push north. For reference the birds used to go to Texas and the Gulf Coast to winter, now they mostly seem to stay in Arkansas or thereabouts. We typically have birds in Colorado from about early November until some time in March.

In other news, an old friend of mine also got in on the Arkansas action and sent me pictures of a few hundred. I seriously miss chasing the little suckers.

Fatcamp

WKR
Saw my first flock of snows this morning in Eastern SD. Earliest I've ever personally seen them. Mid 50's here today.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
We went out in Deleware yesterday. Saw thousands of birds, but they were wary and just wouldn't come down into the decoys. We ended up only getting 14 birds.

FNG
All I can ponder is what 1000s of decoys looks like, how longs set up, how the hell do you pack em?

And what do you do with 100s of birds down?

*Not a waterfowler either

KurtR

WKR
All I can ponder is what 1000s of decoys looks like, how longs set up, how the hell do you pack em?

Most use socks I can fit 15 doz per bag with my dive bombs and 15 doz in my silo sock bags. You can fit a whole bunch in just the box of the truck. It depends on how many people but 5 people can set a thousand socks in a couple hours if they all pitch in. I make a bunch of breakfast sausage and sticks and jerky when we get a big pile .

WCB

WKR

With 4-5 guys complete set up from pulling up to the field to ready to shoot. 1200 sock decoys and all the goodies about 1.5-2 hrs. That is including brushing in layout blinds. If we are just on back boards laying in white suits it cuts 1/2 hour off. It all depends on if you have a good plan and people that listen.

In the spring most times we can't drive into the fields because of mud... so multiple trips with the wheeler and a jet sled to get decoys, people, and all their crap in the field. Having a system and plan makes quick work. Used to chase them for 6-7 weeks straight. Sometimes moving the decoys to new fields almost every day for weeks. Spent countless nights pulling a spread at the end of shooting light. Driving 15min-1hr+...pulling into a new field setting decoys then sleeping in the truck for a couple hours. Also did a few days of same thing but driving multiple hours, setting up and barely getting done before shooting time and just killing geese.

Wheels

WKR
With 4-5 guys complete set up from pulling up to the field to ready to shoot. 1200 sock decoys and all the goodies about 1.5-2 hrs. That is including brushing in layout blinds. If we are just on back boards laying in white suits it cuts 1/2 hour off. It all depends on if you have a good plan and people that listen.

In the spring most times we can't drive into the fields because of mud... so multiple trips with the wheeler and a jet sled to get decoys, people, and all their crap in the field. Having a system and plan makes quick work. Used to chase them for 6-7 weeks straight. Sometimes moving the decoys to new fields almost every day for weeks. Spent countless nights pulling a spread at the end of shooting light. Driving 15min-1hr+...pulling into a new field setting decoys then sleeping in the truck for a couple hours. Also did a few days of same thing but driving multiple hours, setting up and barely getting done before shooting time and just killing geese.
One of the best things about snow goose hunting is a good nap in the field when the birds aren't flying..
My dogs are always on watch and will let me know when birds are coming.

KurtR

WKR
We are covered up. Never had this many snows on the big lake usually farther east. 40mph winds to night I think we have a decent feed right off the lake lined up they were landing right beside a group of cedars. Wind should keep them lower tonight than the last few days. Mostly all adults so tough birds to hunt but can’t kill them from the couch.

FNG
Got 24 it was fun even in the 40 mph wind.
Unless you've got one (I'll search out) but please post up your preparations on the cooking end of things when that time comes

Aside from pheasant, I've never hunted bird (turkey goose duck etc) and would enjoy reading up on that.

Either way, congrats on a great day!