First Custom Rifle- Thinking 22 GT

OP
Y

Yodie

FNG
That looks like it’s shooting pretty ok…

which sizing die are you using out of curiosity?

khuber84

WKR
RCBS Matchmaster 6GT with Redding .249 TiN bushing. 6GT Matchmaster seater too.

John
I run the same sizing die, but a 250 whidden bushing. It's a great die, and I think it also has the tightest sizing dimensions of the available dies.

I've tried RCBS, redding Hornady and even the Micron from BC. Matchmaster sizes more at cartridge base than the rest, I feel this is important especially if you're trying to squeeze the most performance from a case especially that'll be ran in field conditions.

I use a universal seating die from SAC "The Seater" as it allows me to use one seater on my turret head and 8 dies to cover all my 473 case head dies.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
@Yodie you're one step ahead of me. I'm hopefully buying a T3x action through rokslide classifieds this week. When that arrives the plan is to get a 22GT from preferred barrel blanks. My own ballistic goal is 88ELDm, 3000+fps, 22"barrel.

Any feedback you can post regarding twist rate, freebore and load development would be helpful. I've heard 1:6.5 twist and .169 freebore are good for 88ELDs and 90VLDs. Hope your project is coming together nicely

OP
Y

Yodie

FNG
I haven’t received my barrel yet, I’m guessing I’m about half way through the expected wait time.

I ended up sending in a dummy round I loaded up with the new alpha brass and an 88 eldm for them to match the throat to.

i went 1:7 twist in hopes to not over spin the 77 TMK if i choose to go that route, but my main focus will be the 88 eldm.

where at in KY you from?

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I worked at Clarks River NWR while I was a student at Murray State so I know the area. You mentioned you hunt pigs. Are there many in western KY now or do you travel to hunt them? I don't see them around central KY except an occasional potbelly that escaped. Black bears are moving in to our area steadily tho and that's exciting. Resident bears are only one county away now.

OP
Y

Yodie

FNG
Clark’s river wma is a collection of some neat terrain and areas, up on this end of I have chosen not to hunt it, too crowded.

Thus far I’ve traveled for pigs.

They’re supposedly working their way up the LBL, I know KYFW have been working to eradicate them and actively try to discourage hunting of them.

Black Bear is #2 on my bucket list, behind a Kentucky Elk, but doubt I’ll ever get drawn at this rate, just consider it a $20 donation each year at this point.