First Elk - Thank You

Smoke10

FNG
I sure hope so. Problem is it will likely be a OIL tag even for SD resident in the Hills. But I will enjoy every minute of it
Yeah I understand that reality. I hunted the Black Hills a ton during college and got my first cow elk in the hills. After college I moved to Wyo so I could hunt elk every year

OP
Mish-pop

Mish-pop

FNG
Yeah I understand that reality. I hunted the Black Hills a ton during college and got my first cow elk in the hills. After college I moved to Wyo so I could hunt elk every year
If I had to choose one state to live in besides SD it would be Wyoming. If it wasn't for my wife's job and where she feels most comfortable living, I would seriously consider moving to Wyoming.

OP
Mish-pop

Mish-pop

FNG
Did you draw the tag in the first draw or use preference points in the second draw?
I drew in second draw without using points. I chose a late season tag that had a slim chance to draw without using points and got lucky

elkguide

WKR
You've just got to love hunting elk! The hard work, the frustrations, the highs and lows..... truly one of the best memory makers that I know.
Thanks for taking us along.

OP
Mish-pop

Mish-pop

FNG
You've just got to love hunting elk! The hard work, the frustrations, the highs and lows..... truly one of the best memory makers that I know.
Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks for taking the time to read! The highs and lows are what makes it a blast!

bz_711

WKR
Congrats! And welcome to the club!

I agree - this site is great and was a huge resource as I chased my first punched tag...

Lytro

WKR
I drew in second draw without using points. I chose a late season tag that had a slim chance to draw without using points and got lucky
Good stuff. I've seen a handful of people here mess up by drawing a cow tag with points in the second draw, and then they're draw ineligible for 9 years.

OP
Mish-pop

Mish-pop

FNG
Good stuff. I've seen a handful of people here mess up by drawing a cow tag with points in the second draw, and then they're draw ineligible for 9 years.
My FIL and BIL did that on accident. They can start applying again in 2 years. But my FIL will likely not be able to draw a bull tag as he will be too far behind in points. He was really upset when he screwed that up as that was likely his only shot. My BIL is young enough that he will have a chance