First elk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
I notice there are zero arrows left in the quiver....what's the story behind that?

Congrats!!
I had 4 in the quiver to start off. My first shot was fatal but I wasn't 100% sure since I'm really new, so I sent 3 more since he gave me the opportunity. Probably overkill but it didn't harm any meat and likely put him down faster.

bpctcb

WKR
Outstanding job getting it done!
I like you’re thinking about keep putting arrows in him.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
I’d be in for a few more details/story. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the night before I made a bad shot because I ranged him at 40 yards and he was actually at 45ish. Leaving him overnight was so hard for me but I knew it was the right thing to do. At home I felt so terrible about making a shot that was too low and had zero confidence that I could recover him. The next day I set out on the blood trail I had left and walked right up to where he was bedded, likely mortally injured. I snuck around trees until I was about 7 yards away and took a shot at him while bedded which was fatal. As a whole, this experience showed me that I had no business shooting over 30 yards even though I can hit small groups past that distance in practice. I never expected the intensity that drawing on a bull could bring about.

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the success, 100% agree with you, as long as the animal is standing keep shooting.
How far did you have to walk to get away from people, did you stay out in the woods?
did you have the chance to record your success?

I am happy for you, well done

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Congrats man!!! That’s awesome, ya did good!

first time archery elk hunting? If so, even more awesome, very few kill an elk their first year.

regardless, I’m stoked for you!
Yeah it was my first time archery elk hunting, first time hunting at all. Went out solo and heard zero elk the whole time, just ran into this small group of cows and this bull.