First pack

id450

WKR
Check out the high country extreme II by crooked horn outfitters. They worked with North face to create a great pack for heavy loads and with the all the needs of a hunter. A place for your scope, packing out , bow / rifle holder etc..., not to mention crazy water proof. Check out there video for their fabric they developed

From experience I would agree with most here. I tried to get away with cheap packs for a long time. I even tried an alps external with a badlands 2800 attached. It worked, but I don't think it was efficient. While backpacking you not only want to be as light as you can afford but also efficient. If your efficient you won't struggle when you knock something down. Currently I use a Kifaru duplex with highcamp, outdoorsmen pack, and a fanny pack. With all three I am pretty versatile. This year I packed out a deer whole in my duplex 6 miles (long story) and I couldn't have been happier. The thing was heavy but comfortable for having that much weight.

Although I am an SG guy myself, remember that packs are, in a way, like shoes or clothes, some will fit and some will not. And there's no flaw there, just differences in construction and body types as well.

Manosteel

WKR
Do a quick search on the site for packs on here. You will quickly learn few things -(1) buy once, cry once (the long timers on here have been their and done that with packs, spending lots of wasted $$ while doing it) (2) Pick a pack that will do everything you need, day pack to 10 days if the field (3) look at wieght with bag empty while keeping in mind durability and load hauling capabilities (4) reputation from hunters who actually hunt the way you planning on hunting and who hunt a lot and speak from expereince. (5) If the company is bringing out a new frame design every year than look elsewhere, established packs earn their reputation out in the field over the years not days/months.

My 2 cents - Kifuar (I used extensively to pack out 100's lbs of meat for long distances over the last couple years), Stone Glacier, exo etc..

OP
G
I'm located in Northern Illinois, in the Rockford area. Given the responses, it looks like I have some homework to do!

bradb

WKR
I am in Madison area(spring green) have a nomad bikini if you want to meet to try

Hey brother, im in northern illinois as well. Ive got a MR nice and kifaru duplex if you want to check either of those out. PM me if you want.

I have a Badlands Ox that has performed very well for me while it was loaded with 150+ pounds of meat. Plus you can't beat the Badlands warranty.

Rizzy

WKR
Since you haven't hunted Elk out west yet, let me tell you a few important things about that first. It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life and will consume you. When you get back, whether your successful or not, you will be on a mission to acquire good gear for the coming hunts. This will happen each season indefinitely as long as you hunt the west. So if you get a top end pack from the get go, you will be ahead of the game in that sense. Most start with whatever they already have or can afford and end with a top end pack like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, EXO, Etc.

charvey9

WKR
As someone who went from a North Face, to an Eberlestock, to a Tenzing, and am finally settled in my Stone Glacier, I would say you will save money in the long run by getting one nice pack. I don't think you can go wrong with offerings from Stone Glacier or Kifaru. You'll find that air packs really easy, and using a well made full frame pack as a day pack is easier than having two.

I think the best deals can be had in surfing the classified for a used Kifaru. Save some money, and if it isn't the pack for you they generally hold their value pretty well if you wanted to trade/resell it later.

I can't say enough about my Stone Glacier, but understand that dropping $700 on your first pack isn't for everybody.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I am also a first timer to hunting this season. Killed my first mule deer 4th season rifle in Colorado. I did a lot of research on rifles and packs as well. Like you I decided on a Tikka T3, a Hunter in .270. For the pack I got a Kifaru Timberline 2 with a bikini frame from the classifieds here (local seller). I was originally set on an Exo because of the price and features but they weren't going to have the next run out in time for my hunt. Then I looked at the Stone Glaciers because I didn't think I could afford a Kifaru. Ended up getting a great deal on the Kifaru and I'm so glad I went with it. It's spacious but compresses down great for a day pack, feels great with weight (about 80lbs max so far), and Kifaru is a Colorado company which was a plus for me!

All that said, I would definitely spend more to get the nicest pack you can afford. It'll be worth it in the long run when you're not looking to replace it after a few seasons of being uncomfortable. I'm glad I went with Kifaru but I know any of the upper tier packs would be awesome.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I have landed on Mystery Ranch Metcalf. I did the day pack thing for years, Next was Badlands 2200 and 4500 ( great warranty) This MR is by far the best piece of equipment so far. Some say heavy but I say it will last . I am training with 80 and 90 lb. loads. The pack handles it great my legs are the limiting factor. I can collapse my pack down to a very comfortable day pack and open it up to carry out a substantial amount of meat. I love my MR but I would like to look at EXO and SG. You have plenty of time to do research before next season.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
As brand new washington state elk hunters, my father and I have tried a myriad of stuff as well... We've used a kelty external frame pack, an osprey internal 6600 CI pack and my current pack which is an outdoorsman's optics hunter. I have LOVED my optics hunter which has worked flawlessly through the last two seasons. I have packed out 2 elk with it and besides fatigue have never had a problem. It has been a perfect first pack for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone and am in fact selling mine now... I am only selling it because I intend to upgrade to a lighter backpack this year...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...cs-Hunter-Pack-System-300&p=289665#post289665