First Rifle

If I were an average sized guy, with a little shooting experience & wanted to hunt mostly deer, occasional elk, looking for my firstest ever gun.....

Tikka T3x in .308. Totally capable on elk out to 500yds.

Buy a few boxes of reduced recoil ammo then go to the range. No more than 20 shots at a time until I was happy with my accuracy at 100yds.
Then step up to some full power, but light bullet loads, rinse & repeat at 100.
Then step up to some full power 165/180 gn loads & start working your way out to 500yds. Once you hit a distance where 'definitely' becomes 'probably' you'll know your max hunting range.
If you do this with, say, 20 boxes total in the space of a year, I honestly reckon you'd be a more proficient shooter than 90% of the nerks in the woods.
I think this is solid advice. Only caveat: I had a rifle that utterly refused to shoot managed recoil rounds well. Not sure how common that is but maybe try it before buying tons?

Good luck keeping everyone’s briefs on with this question.

For what it’s worth, Hathcock shot a Model 70 .30-06 with an 8-power Unertl scope. Check with the Jarheads like @Team4LongGun if you want some real advice.

Yes he did! Unertl scopes were excellent glass right up until John died. I had a Unertl fixed 10x on my M40A1 while in Iraq doing the Lord's work. If only I was allowed to keep it.....
Funny how nowadays if it isn't variable power, most don't want it. As far as the OP's question, I'd be more inclined to go 30 cal for only "1 rifle".
Like Menhaden, I don't and wont get into the arguments over "the" best.....I know for my purposes, what works for me and why.
Good luck with the rifle (y)

Having read through this...it might be enlightening to consider what goes on within and without 300 yards in terms of trajectory. 300 yards is a good practical limit for easy to get on with shooting. Stretching past that is where you get into the want for souped up rigs and cartridges.

Last year I got my then 14 year old a 6.5cm based on the ballistics and the recoil. He's a smaller kid and can handle that caliber with ease and if he wants he can stretch it out for punching paper or some longer range shots on game

When I first started coming to this forum it looked like all the Tikka guys needed to get a room together. Fast forwards a year, my dad buys a T3X Superlite in 300 WM, zeros shooting factory Barnes ammo, has a brake installed, and immediately takes it to a class (750 yds and in basically). He was ringing steal at 750 yds from a guy that had fired less than 150 rds off a bench in his life. There is no denying the performance of the Tikka. Get good glass and don't skimp on rings.

My brother and I both ended up with different Christensen Arms rifles. If elk is on the radar for you I think the 308 is a great option. I don't like 6.5 creedmor for elk. For a first rifle I think a 300 WM is a handful, with a brake its a lot better. My brother got a CA Mesa in 308 and dropped a muley @ 200yds this last October. I have a CA Ridgeline in 300 WSM and took a muley just over 200 yds this fall also. The 308 gives you some great options for different bullets weights to go after everything in the lower 48.

Back