First Scouting Trip Done

Stocky

FNG
Had a great 3 days scouting for my Muzzy tag. Found out what everyone was saying about Colorado being busy running into quite a few hikers near the trailhead. I did manage to find about a dozen elk, 6 Goats and best of all 3 Muley's. I looked over a fair bit of nice country that seemed promising but was a little lacking of deer. The 3 mule deer were an odd group with one doe, a young deer (I'd say a yearling), and a buck that initially I thought would be a taker for me but had a deformed 2 point antler on the far side.

I was scouting country not dissimilar to what I guided Goats in BC. I was struggling a little bit to really pick out the best country/vegetation for deer. What sort of feed do they typically like? The deer seen were all chowing down on a yellowed flowered plant I'm not familiar with.

Any way what an awesome bit of country, it really is amazing, boy this altitude thing is a killer!

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I just got done with a scouting trip myself. Actually did 6 nights solo getting in as much country as possible for the unit i am hunting in CO for second gun season. When I got into the high country is when i consistently saw more bucks. Here is a bachelor group of forkys. Idk what the plant is called but this type of green vegetation had these guys feasting (as well as other bucks and does I turned up). Just seems like the bucks were in the highest basins (primarily S face but I mostly set mself up in those basins purposely) with feed/some cover and the does were slightly lower in elevation for the most part. I dont claim to be an expert as i am from PA and this is going to be my first muley hunt but these r just things i found as i was out there glassing and taking notes

Attachments

• muley.png
    muley.png
    560.4 KB · Views: 48
OP
S

Stocky

FNG
Awesome mate. Find anything you were looking for? And yeh didn't actually see a lot of vegetation like rhat. Have a day off today then back to scouting either tomorrow or Friday. Thanks a bunch it all helps paint a picture.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Good handful of bucks like that, one real nice 4x3 and a couple good bulls. Also tons of does. Spend some time a little lower in elevation too to get a lay of that land in case there is a good bit of snow by that time of year and they are pushed down. So all in, i think the trip was a big W

Mcribs

FNG
Good start to locating for my first Archery Mule deer hunt. 7 in a group, 4 of which I’d be thrilled to harvest. Let’s hope they stay put and no one chase them off!!

8D363C44-2AA4-4367-BCD9-2A7142B0363E.jpeg

Attachments

• F9FA0A83-DD8C-4116-8919-2D89ADB46CD2.jpeg
    F9FA0A83-DD8C-4116-8919-2D89ADB46CD2.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
S

Stocky

FNG
Awesome stuff guys cant wait to get back out. Are you guys typically seeing them on the south facing slopes?

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
The last few years I’ve had good luck hunting in high basins that had a lot of willows in them in September. They seem to like to hang out in them. Also have had pretty good luck hunting around mountain mahogany.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome stuff guys cant wait to get back out. Are you guys typically seeing them on the south facing slopes?
A lot of them yes, but i tried to pursue glassing south facing slopes so since those r what i was focusing on, i cant say for sure that thats ONLY where they were. But i did see a lot of them in those spots