First Swarovski questions…

I don't deny it's existence I just think it's overblown is all. People tend to glom on to ideas and let it influence them more than it should. We see it in all kinds of things. It's a hard thing to detach and be truly objective to your own experience.
i could see that being the case... and here, all along, i thought i was just one of the lucky ones :unsure:

sako4me

FNG
I’ve never experienced rolling ball affect with my new 8.5x42 ELs. I can’t see it, my brother can’t see it neither can my wife . I much prefer to look through the ELs than my Trinovid HDs.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to impugn anyone. Just want to show that someone has done in depth scientific studies and concluded the EL SV is the binocular most likely to induce this phenom with users. Know that many folks don’t suffer these effects and love their ELs (they were a revolutionary design that changed the whole industry). But a new guy should sample them prior to buying. Personally wanted to love the ELs and initially set out to buy a set based on all the glowing reviews. But after a lot of direct comparison found some others worked better for me. $2k is a big purchase and there are many fantastic options at that price.

My 2 cents. Will leave it alone now.
+1
added things: 2014 model will have SV, if for some reason they dont work for your eyes, re-sell will be very easy.
Go test a bunch out on tripod at lowlight from sportsmans etc...
Personal bias, have 10x42 and x50 els, i think buying for "used" prices they are tough to beat.

Acivin

FNG
Sounds like the differences are minor and most of us might not notice a difference.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a pair of 8x42 Zeiss Victory SF’s with perfect glass that I will sell for $1600. They’re Gen 1 from 2016 and have some paint chipped on the top hinge. Safe secure transaction on our website and free shipping. I personally prefer these over the EL.

5362281f2a5eb806b4faf6be8a942c77.jpg

e30e6cb8bc3c53b4bd91ae8ad242feff.jpg

17491500726482964aabf9d6b251224a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely give the Zeiss a look too before you decide. A freakin' LOVE these Zeiss 10x and 15x I upgraded to. Bought them both used, saved considerable.

OP
G

Goneoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thank you I actually purchased two used pairs one EL and the the other SLC. I found the 8 x 32EL models fit my eyes best and I have the other pair for sale on here.

hunt1up

WKR
I think if you're only buying Swaros and are only deer hunting, I'd get SLCs and save some money. They're awesome and cheaper than the ELs and NLs. I've had all 3 and for all intents and purposes you'll be happy with any of them.

ors

FNG
have an el 8x32 and so far luckily have not experienced it. an el 8.5x42 on the way. will see how it goes.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
A Layman’s explanation = Rolling Ball Effect is the term used to refer to the visual image characteristics generated by the differences in distortion and curvature between the image created by the optical instrument vs the natural distortion and curvature of the human visual system………..This effect varies among individuals (as everyone’s eyes are a bit different) and can cause the sensation of motion sickness in some.
Thanks @Spiral Horn for the explanation. This may be totally unrelated, but I wonder if this Rolling Ball Effect similarly has anything to do with some folks not being able to ride in a car and read at the same time. That’d include me and especially is true when as a passenger trying to read from or look at a phone. It only takes a few minutes to start feeling like motion sickness & onset of a headache. Nope, not doing it!

Regarding the original postings on SLC, EL, NL, etc. models, this is good discussion and the first hand reports are beneficial. It’s probably that time of year when many are considering their first purchase of top quality binoculars. That probably also includes me.

Sanman023

FNG
Between the big three (Leica, Swaro, Zeiss), I personally like the Swaro for the glass.