First time caribou hunters

A buddy and myself have been kicking around a haul road caribou hunt with our bows, I know it can be really subjective but when is generally the “best” time in the season to hunt, rental availability (I’ve heard it can be tough to get a rental truck for the road) gear that you would bring but didn’t, bear spray vs a pistol & general hunt quality if we’re not picky about our bulls? Thanks!

Ps. I’ve been to Alaska once in 2009, RVing with my dad, brother and grandpa. While we were staying in Fairbanks we drove the Dalton north to the Arctic circle and saw a few good caribou bulls as well as a few wolves. Even caught a few dolly’s and grayling in the Yukon when we stopped for a lunch break!

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Rental trucks aren't hard at all to get. Let me know what you need and when!
But Nick said it best, pick a week and hope they're around. I spent several weeks last fall up there and rarely saw any. Other hunters had great success.

If you need bear spray, hit me up. I have tons of customers that leave the spray in our vehicles when they return because they can't fly home with it, so I have literally 50+ cans.

Mvaughan

FNG
I read and read and read some more before my first …. Then there were the phone calls. Nick’s message is blunt but it’s true. You can catch fish and kill caribou at any time…pick a date and roll with it. There is no magical week.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
well, I'd narrow it down to either the last week of August to 1st week September (for fishing and 'bou with the crowds) OR a spring hunt in early April with no fishing and fewer hunters.

I think Haul Rd hunters will be more abundant this next season from continued displacement from the western half of the state (GMU 23 and 26A) being likely closed to non-locals in '24. Plus the eastern Brooks is crowded and prices are climbing. Plus the Steese Hwy hunt is changing and this will also displace many locals hunting caribou in Aug.

These are just musings of an arm-chair captain, so it's my own prediction.

be interesting to see if the non res who wanted to fly out for the solitude will change their minds and hunt the road system with everyone else. Is a caribou worth dealing with the crowds...we shall see. depending on draw results i was thinking of making my first trip up that way at the end of september.

VernAK

WKR
well, I'd narrow it down to either the last week of August to 1st week September (for fishing and 'bou with the crowds) OR a spring hunt in early April with no fishing and fewer hunters.

I think Haul Rd hunters will be more abundant this next season from continued displacement from the western half of the state (GMU 23 and 26A) being likely closed to non-locals in '24. Plus the eastern Brooks is crowded and prices are climbing. Plus the Steese Hwy hunt is changing and this will also displace many locals hunting caribou in Aug.

These are just musings of an arm-chair captain, so it's my own prediction.
Larry is right on as usual!

There will be hunters displaced from 23 & 26 as Larry said but the collapse of the Nelchina Herd [Unit 13 mostly] will also push Anchorage, Wasilla and KP hunters further afield.

Caribou hunting opportunity is dwindling rapidly!

OP
Live_weighT34

Rental trucks aren't hard at all to get. Let me know what you need and when!
But Nick said it best, pick a week and hope they're around. I spent several weeks last fall up there and rarely saw any. Other hunters had great success.

If you need bear spray, hit me up. I have tons of customers that leave the spray in our vehicles when they return because they can't fly home with it, so I have literally 50+ cans.
We’re shooting for 2025 now as we both might be getting some good tags in Utah, Colorado and/or Wyoming. But you can bet that we’ll be in touch when we’re ready!

OP
Live_weighT34
Orrrrrrrrrrr use rifles, walk the five miles and get away from the crowds........
I mean how crowded can it be within the five miles? Crowded hunting areas are the norm for me in Utah so dealing with and avoiding people becomes a skill. My only reservation about hiking out is we will be on a timer and 10 miles round trip is a lot to walk across tundra when you only have a week to 10 days and you’re not finding caribou.

AKBorn

WKR
I mean how crowded can it be within the five miles? Crowded hunting areas are the norm for me in Utah so dealing with and avoiding people becomes a skill. My only reservation about hiking out is we will be on a timer and 10 miles round trip is a lot to walk across tundra when you only have a week to 10 days and you’re not finding caribou.
Caribou hunting is different than hunting elk or mule deer out west. Especially along the Haul Road - for much of the road where caribou are typically found, if you can see other hunters, they can see you, as much of the land is tundra and trees or high brush can be rare.

Also, caribou in many cases stick to travel corridors that have been used by previous bou travelling through a few days earlier, as opposed to being spread out all along the landscape. So if all the caribou you can see are moving through specific corridors, and those corridors are visible to the hunters on the road, it is likely that most/all of the hunters who can see caribou at any given time will be concentrated in the area they think the caribou will be travelling through. If you can somehow hike away from the Road so that the road isn't visible, you will leave quite a bit of the hunters behind.

Larry is right on as usual!

There will be hunters displaced from 23 & 26 as Larry said but the collapse of the Nelchina Herd [Unit 13 mostly] will also push Anchorage, Wasilla and KP hunters further afield.

Caribou hunting opportunity is dwindling rapidly!

Hate to hear that last part but it seems to be true.

MJW

FNG
I will be float hunting the Sag and Ivishak this Sept. and was curious about the fishing up there? Anyone have some good advice on flys and lures? I‘m putting together my box and want to keep it to reliable, GoTo choices.

I will be float hunting the Sag and Ivishak this Sept. and was curious about the fishing up there? Anyone have some good advice on flys and lures? I‘m putting together my box and want to keep it to reliable, GoTo choices.
Here are some dry’s to include: Adams, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, Humpies, Griffith’s Gnat, Mosquito and, Black Gnat. Some nymphs to include: Hare’s Ear, Zug Bug, Copper John, and Pheasant Tail. Use sizes 20 to 10 and you will be good to go.

As for conventional any small spinner size 00-2 will be effective. Panther Martins, Mepps, Rooster tail etc. Please be mindful that some of the fish up there are super old.

Focus on confluences & deeper water. They’re a ton of fun on lighter rods. I tend to use a longer 3wt. I’ve attached a pic of my nymph fly box for some examples. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1387.png
    IMG_1387.png
    997.3 KB · Views: 17

MJW

FNG
Here are some dry’s to include: Adams, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, Humpies, Griffith’s Gnat, Mosquito and, Black Gnat. Some nymphs to include: Hare’s Ear, Zug Bug, Copper John, and Pheasant Tail. Use sizes 20 to 10 and you will be good to go.

As for conventional any small spinner size 00-2 will be effective. Panther Martins, Mepps, Rooster tail etc. Please be mindful that some of the fish up there are super old.

Focus on confluences & deeper water. They’re a ton of fun on lighter rods. I tend to use a longer 3wt. I’ve attached a pic of my nymph fly box for some examples. Good luck!
Thanks very much!

Malcolm31

FNG

Thank you!!