First time Hunter looking for advice.

Hey all first post on Rokslide! I'm looking for a do it all pack as well as some advice. I've been loving the look of the ma deuce though I'm curious how well it compresses for the day pack once empty. From what everyone is saying here it sounds like I'll be happy with it. I will be packing in for a 5 day elk hunt in the fall in Western Washington. I'm trying to get out as cheap as possible with the exception of the pack I think I'll go Skre camo I have a bear bow some gold tip Hunter arrows montec broadheads I'm hoping to get most of not all I need for around $1500 maybe $2000 any advice on frame or anything I should know I'm shorter at 5'7 about 250 hoping to slim down a bit sorry about the book just looking for tons of info and don't know where to start.

This sounds crass, but it’s not my intention. Just buy the pack you mentioned and try it! Sounds like you have done some research and narrowed it to that. Good luck.

Honestly that's how I'm leaning when it comes to the pack. I guess my main question is what all do I need for a first time hunt I am inexperienced and don't have much in the way of gear. Thanks for the response which frame would fit a person my side best?

Are you new to hunting or backpacking or both? I wouldn’t spend too much money on something you’re not going to do much of. Also are you a Washington resident that knows the weather patterns? I’ve never hunted Washington but I here it’s a wet one.

I will be hoping to use a good bit of gear for family camping trips in the future. I have 2 babies and would like to get them outdoors as much as possible in the future. I will be hunting for elk and possibly deer for the foreseeable future with a good friend we both live here in Washington. It can be wet but September is usually not to bad, usually

cant go wrong with the ma deuce, I like mine, if you’re into organization it’s got it and Kifaru is a great company, definitely call them and they’ll walk you through sizing and everything, their customer service is top notch

Find a pack that fits you good,,, spend what you can afford,,, ask if it comes with a rain cover...

I'm sure you will know what to do from there...

PS: fit some thin tuff carpet padding in the bottom and lower edges to lessen the chance of a bottom backpack blow out...

Yes it adds a fraction more weight,,, but the pack will last you a life time if you prepare it properly...

Don

Great choice of pack brand as well can’t go wrong with kifaru, took a look at the ma deuce at the expo looks like a sweet pack almost wish they had it when I got my muskeg might have ordered that one instead.

Find a pack that fits you good,,, spend what you can afford,,, ask if it comes with a rain cover...

I'm sure you will know what to do from there...

PS: fit some thin tuff carpet padding in the bottom and lower edges to lessen the chance of a bottom backpack blow out...

Yes it adds a fraction more weight,,, but the pack will last you a life time if you prepare it properly...

Don
Do you have any examples of a pad you have added?

Yes. Closed cell foam that is water proof. It is super strong, mostly puncher proof and super lite weight...

I get the frugal blue foam sleeping bag pads and cut them down to fit,,, fold up the remaing 2 edges,,, use the RVT silicone to glue the over lapping edges together... Cabela's or Bass Pro has them...

That bottom of your backpack bag will last for many years so long as sharp objects don't poke a hole or chaff the webbed materials on the bottom and sides...

Another plus to this inner home made closed cell foam basket is it can be used for a few other things when your in the back country...

I've used mine as a pillow,,, something to sit on at camp when its raining,,, I even used it to pack water from the creek to snuff out the bon-fire before continuing my hunt...

I thought it was a dumb idea at first,,, now all 3 of my bush packs have these home made bottom liners,,, $15 or $20 to buy 1 role,,, it will make 2 liner protecters...

Don

Honestly that's how I'm leaning when it comes to the pack. I guess my main question is what all do I need for a first time hunt I am inexperienced and don't have much in the way of gear. Thanks for the response which frame would fit a person my side best?

First time hunt and going 5 days out of a pack? You are bold.

Sounds like you have your weapon set up good to go.

Beyond that, the main things you need are:
-food (I highly recommend saving money on buying freeze dried food and learn to do it yourself)
-cook stove...unless you want to go stove less
-water/water purification (iodine tablets, filter/pump?)
-First aid kit
-sleep "system"...bag or quilt, sleeping pad
-shelter (tarp or tent)
-repair kit (dental floss for serving repairs, duck tape/electrical tape, zip ties, tenacious tape, small sewing kit, cordage)
-raingear

Those are the essentials. And of the essentials above these are bare minimum. Individual item/brand selections is a totally different can of worms that I wont get into it.

Obvious things are: clothing, optics, calls, and a good attitude

I'm also look
Yes. Closed cell foam that is water proof. It is super strong, mostly puncher proof and super lite weight...

I get the frugal blue foam sleeping bag pads and cut them down to fit,,, fold up the remaing 2 edges,,, use the RVT silicone to glue the over lapping edges together... Cabela's or Bass Pro has them...

That bottom of your backpack bag will last for many years so long as sharp objects don't poke a hole or chaff the webbed materials on the bottom and sides...

Another plus to this inner home made closed cell foam basket is it can be used for a few other things when your in the back country...

I've used mine as a pillow,,, something to sit on at camp when its raining,,, I even used it to pack water from the creek to snuff out the bon-fire before continuing my hunt...

I thought it was a dumb idea at first,,, now all 3 of my bush packs have these home made bottom liners,,, $15 or $20 to buy 1 role,,, it will make 2 liner protecters...

Don
Sounds good I'll give it a shot thanks.

Yea I know it's a bit long for my first time but it seems like the only practical way to hunt elk l. I want to start on a big game hunt while I'm a Washington resident. I know I'm very excited to get out there and just take it all in. Now as for the essentials I think food I will go the MH way at least this time water I will have a water bag in the pack I will bring a couple of the screen on sawyer filter and a lifestraw as well is there a cheap first aid kit worth a damn from Amazon you would recommend sleep system is tough on 1 hand I was thinking bivy but am also looking at a hammock with rain cover any advice there? Also inexpensive quality sleeping bag would be cool as far as stove goes I'll probably get the msr whisper so I can use alternative fuels repair kit is something that hasn't been mentioned in many of the essentials lists I've been reading so thanks for that. Im also having a hard time deciding on best rain gear for bow hunting

I'm not a hammock guy at all. A bivy sack with a nylon tarp would be my choice between the two. That way you can sleep under the tarp in the bivy and keep your gear from getting wet and if it is raining you can sit under the tarp and cook.

I piece together a first aid kit...look what most have for basic first aid and buy in bulk then you can replenish when you use something.

rain gear is a place like boots and a pack that I don't skimp on. For me it is multi use. Obvious use is for rain (I have actually used it least for this but when I had to I'm glad I had it). I also use it if it is just generally wet out I throw the pants on to stay dry, I use it in deep snow, and the biggest use I have for it is that it is great for breaking the wind while glassing. In short I would do some research and pick up a good set.

That’s a brutal first hunt.

Did it last Sept and it rained HARD every day. I was basically hypothermic an hour after leaving the truck until an hour after returning. Inside my sleeping bag was the only time I was comfortable for a week. The jungle is tough too.
I think my rain gear is still wet and tired. An extra tarp was critical for the kitchen. And waterproof socks are mandatory. It rained so damn hard every step was in standing or moving water.
My paratarp saved my buddies ass as his tent was a complete failure.
Brutal week but damn they’re some big ass elk!
Good luck!

You won't be disappointed...

I had a real nice pack a few years back and the bottom bag gave out on the trail...

What a pain in the goat... Ha

It was an old trapper that told me about stuffing something in the pack sack bag to prevent that from happening,,, at least the thin closed cell foam stays in place when its time to load and go,,, a blanket works,,, but it takes more hands on to keep it in place packing...

It seemed like the blanket was alway wet,,, so I did the water proof foam instead...

Look for used frame for the ma duece to save some cash. Just pack it mindfully like shelter in the bottom and sleeping bag after and you will never damage the back pack It will hold more weight than any human can manage

Quick update I downgraded my pack I wanted got something lower end saved several hundred will upgrade in a season or two but there was just too much gear to get. Thanks everyone.

High quality optics! Can't stress that enough. Most modern rifle and bows are good to go and will outshoot the shooter all day long.

Back