First time Tripod user

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market to buy my first tripod. I will be using it for my new swarovski EL 10x42 binos and Maybe in the future I will purchase a spotting scope. What's are some ideas without breaking the bank and not overly heavy as I will be using it on backpack trips as well

Alpha glass deserves an alpha tripod and head Imo. Outdoorsmans and Really Right Stuff are the Alpha tripods if buying made in USA is important to you. KDC makes a pretty nice set up for ultralight as well. I have had the Kramer for several years and just bought a really right stuff.

1641C278-868D-4A3B-A1AC-015ACD9F0523.jpeg

I bought my first tripod last year to use with my binos. I went a little cheaper with the tripod. Vortex, don’t remember which exactly. Thinking about upgrading the head though, so maybe this could piggy back off the OP. Pistol grip or panhead for binos? I plan to get a small spotter in the near future, probably Kowa 553/4. Would the pistol grip work okay for that too or should I just go with panhead or micro panhead?

The Slik CF-634 with the VA5 Sirui head is a great option, folds to 18" and the Sirui T024SKVA5, also a great option, folds to about 15". The Sirui will be a lot less $$ as well due to the 15/15 we have. 15% off and a 15% rebate from Sirui. The sirui kit is by far our #1 selling option for your purpose.
If you go with Slik, only get a tripod where the CF is before the number, not after. The new line all have the CF before. Biggest improvement is the twist locks

Call me if you have any questions
Joel
516-217-1000

archp625

WKR
I just bought a Sirui T024SK with a VA-5 head. While I haven't taken it hunting yet it is so so nice for the money. One thing you will notice is people will tell you all kinds of tripods but the Sirui VA-5 head comes up time and time again.

pc3

WKR
I am running a promaster 525 with their cine 20 head seems to work well. I use it with meopta s2 spotter, this set up wont break the bank.

SLM

FNG
I’ve used the aluminum version and it works well with 12’s/15’s if kept low, it is a bit shaky with a larger spotting scope. The head is excellent.

Fee
I just bought a Sirui T024SK with a VA-5 head. While I haven't taken it hunting yet it is so so nice for the money. One thing you will notice is people will tell you all kinds of tripods but the Sirui VA-5 head comes up time and time again.
That is our #1 selling setup. Right now we are offering it at 15% off, $254.92, free shipping and then you get 15% back of that from Sirui in a rebate. This special runs through the end of July.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Fee

That is our #1 selling setup. Right now we are offering it at 15% off, $254.92, free shipping and then you get 15% back of that from Sirui in a rebate. This special runs through the end of July.
What is the shipping like to Canada. My postal code is v4r 0g6

Shipping to Canada is only $49.99. Not a misprint. Only issue you have is the Sirui rebate is good to addresses only within the USA

tdot

WKR
What is the shipping like to Canada. My postal code is v4r 0g6

Where in BC are you?

For backpacking, I'd recommend the Really Right Stuff BPC16 head over the VA5. Cheaper and a fraction of the weight. Not a fluid head, but plenty smooth for use with bino's and spotters.

For the tripod, Sirui or Slik carbon.

Have either the Outdoorsman or Kramer stud installed in the bino's.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Where in BC are you?

For backpacking, I'd recommend the Really Right Stuff BPC16 head over the VA5. Cheaper and a fraction of the weight. Not a fluid head, but plenty smooth for use with bino's and spotters.

For the tripod, Sirui or Slik carbon.

Have either the Outdoorsman or Kramer stud installed in the bino's.
I'm in the Lower mainland. I'm just going to use the Leupold universal bino tray.

CNW

FNG
Classified Approved
Gitzo makes a couple really nice CF tripods. They're pricey but certainly high end gear. I don't know that I'd spend the 7+ bills on a new one but if you're willing to buy used there seems to always be a few hardly used ones for sale on secondary market websites (craigslist, offer-up, eBay) for around 1/2 price or even less. Food for thought!