FirstLite Sanctuary vs Puffy/NB

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at possibly going Uncompaghre puffy pant under North Branch bibs instead of purchasing the sanctuary bibs. Has anyone compared this set up?

I like the flexibility options of having a puffy and a lighter bib to potentially wear separately, but not at the cost of losing a tremendous amount of cold weather protection.

Just starting to do some western hunting, but my cold weather hunting looks like it will be primarily whitetail hunting Wisconsin (bow and gun).

adamm88

WKR
Imo layering systems while whitetail hunting doesn’t get enough talk, try it, worst that can happen is your not happy and you have something for western hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I run cold but last year I wore the NB bibs (with merino base’s (two layers)) and then used the sitka puffies once on stand. It worked well and I plan to do the same this year. By the way I hunt Illinois and late season was cold last year... -5 for a couple of hunts.

I did the puffy under my soft shell thing until last year.

Lots of layers in Kate season and I think the puffy gets compressed which probably kills it insulation bivalve a bit. By late season I hadn’t three layers on top and two on bottom. I felt a bit like the Michelin man. It works but it isn’t ideal.

I stand hunted a day late last year with a buddy in a set of cabelas insulated coveralls. He was cozy and it was easy for him to move. We went inside for a midday break and he stripped off his stuff and I sat there pealing layers for 10 minutes. I had a Woodbury coat and picked up a set of sanctuary bibs. That is going to be my stand hunting gear now.

I wouldn’t tell you not to go with FL I just feel like I could be pretty warm in a set of cabelas gear for about half the price. The Sitka whiteTail stuff is on another level in terms of design / engineering / price. Not worth it for me but it is for some. I think the FL is a good value if you want to go a notch above the big box brands.

Cabelas MT050 Parker and bibs are what I use. Can’t walk far with it on but has kept me warm on stand in the harshest weather. I can only wear it when it is below 25* or very windy/cold.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
thanks guys! I just went with the saddle tree stand and my heater body suit is going to be a CF if I try and use it this year. I have the MT050 pants (but they aren't real user friendly to trek in with on) and a sanctuary jacket, but I was looking for something to be extremely versatile throughout the year hunting public land.

I thought that if I ran the puffy pants under the north branch bibs, I could be covered for just about anything (regular merino early season, puffy over that after I'm up in the stand for cooler days, and bring the NB bibs for over the puffy when it gets ridiculous). I did not want to run that if there was a big drop off between Puffy + NB and the Sanctuary bibs.